Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have as an alternative for 50" trails Pure Polaris Alum.12" wheels and I run 8x25 front and 10x25 rear. Any opinion on which is the best tire strictly for 50" trails? I have Big Horns on my 14" wheels, but they could be a little heavy, Pitt Bulls at 25.5 will rub and my original equipment 2 ply Maxxis seem to have a rounded poor trail contact narrow trail print, and will need replacement? What ideas are out in 50" trail riding land.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is interesting to me that one of the key points for the RZR design is that it can go on the 50" trails. Doesn't appear that much interest exists. 1 1/2 hr and only one look at the thread.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think there a lot of people that have gone to the S. It rides nicer than the standard RZR and has better climbing ability because of the suspension. I have a standard and some friends have an S. They are nice in the sand but cannot go with me on the mountain trails because of the 50". I am stuck with a standard width and will not go with the S. Most of my riding is in the mountains, I am not a dunes person. I don't like all the people. As far as your tire issue I am not into tires. I like a 6 ply and don't like the aluminum rims because of. Number one they cost too much and number two they break instead of bend. If you are out by yourself and one of your rims break you have a problem. I don't think anyone was ignoring you it is just Saturday and everyone except me and you are riding and having fun instead of on this silly forum.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just us old geezers sitting on Sat. But I am going riding Monday to the high lakes behind us on the 14' with Big Horns. I have the Alum, and 90% of the RZRs have alum wheels and I have never heard of a break.

My comment on interest relates also to the fact that at the UTV Rally in Marysvale they cancelled one of the 50" rides and had only one. Out of 400 to 600 rigs at the rally my RZR and one other were the only UTVs to ride a 50" trail. A very fine ride. After the rally I went to the location of an accessible 50" trail and was unable to find anyone to ride it with me.(they were going riding, but had never ridden that on their ATVs) My dog and I did a great 40mi loop alone. Well built, seldom used trail, with challenge. Thks, Neil
I just want to benifit from the experience of others when I buy new tires.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sorry I can't help you I have mud lite XTR but I am not limited to 50" trails they are a very aggressive tire but I went oversized tires you might check if they have your size.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I am changing my S to a 50 inch. I missed to many good rides while in Utah. I am also interested in tires and wheels. I had plan to use the pit bulls until you said they were to wide.

·
Registered
24 Posts
:redrzr:I ride northern Ontario,Lots of rocks and bush.( Canadian Shield)My friend rides an s and can go most places I go,but I do have the advantage in the trees and some trails.Im happy I went with the 50'' razor.I have a 2'' lift,14'' ITP rims and 27'' Mudlights.

·
Registered
666 Posts
if you like the big horns but are concerned about weight check out the bighorn 2.0's. they have been working well for me. stick w/ the stock size if you need to clear 50" gates. If you go with 26's you might be ok if you do the 9" tires all around. 26x11 will require at least a 1" spacer for clearance. (might require a little grinding on the right side motor mount). I'm running the 26x11's and I just BARELY clear the right motor mount w/o grinding at full droop w/ 1 1/2" spacers. Of course that puts me at about 54 inches or so mide at the rear.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My head is spinning trying to figure out which rzr to buy. I have alot of 50" trails near my cottage. I have 1000 acres of sand dunes within 1 1/2 hours of house. I think my wife likes the rzr 4 and we have a 14 and 11 year old. So i keep jumping back and forth to what i want to do. As far as tires i was just trying to learn something here.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you like the big horns but are concerned about weight check out the bighorn 2.0's. they have been working well for me. stick w/ the stock size if you need to clear 50" gates. If you go with 26's you might be ok if you do the 9" tires all around. 26x11 will require at least a 1" spacer for clearance. (might require a little grinding on the right side motor mount). I'm running the 26x11's and I just BARELY clear the right motor mount w/o grinding at full droop w/ 1 1/2" spacers. Of course that puts me at about 54 inches or so mide at the rear.
I wondered about the 2.0s. Then you like them. I wondered about ITP Baja Cross too. I think I will stay 8"F and 10"R 25s want an mildly aggressive tread not too heavy, good footprint and of course longevity. It's really more technical slow to moderate speed riding. Thks

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am changing my S to a 50 inch. I missed to many good rides while in Utah. I am also interested in tires and wheels. I had plan to use the pit bulls until you said they were to wide.
I had an interest in the Pitt Bulls but have been told that they hit the motor mount behind the passenger (grip around it) then with the spacer your beyond 50".

Whoa S to std. Now that's an indication of someone really interested in 50". The person loved the tires though! I am a 50"R, but as one alternative with a wider set for other riding. I wish you the best, and keep us informed.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My head is spinning trying to figure out which rzr to buy. I have alot of 50" trails near my cottage. I have 1000 acres of sand dunes within 1 1/2 hours of house. I think my wife likes the rzr 4 and we have a 14 and 11 year old. So i keep jumping back and forth to what i want to do. As far as tires i was just trying to learn something here.
My comment is worth what you pay. I would think with the ages of the young uns. Get one std, and one S. Get the Std first. (go anywhere) find out the level of interest , then go for the S if the interest is that high. That's fun, and It didn't hurt to spend your money..... Sorry! (The S is going to get more power , that's where you will want it) (ridden with Ss and Turboed ones, been in the dunes enjoyed, but it's not primary with me)

·
Registered
274 Posts
My comment is worth what you pay. I would think with the ages of the young uns. Get one std, and one S. Get the Std first. (go anywhere) find out the level of interest , then go for the S if the interest is that high. That's fun, and It didn't hurt to spend your money..... Sorry! (The S is going to get more power , that's where you will want it) (ridden with Ss and Turboed ones, been in the dunes enjoyed, but it's not primary with me)
Thanks rick,
I like the thought process, if i go with the rzr 4 and the daughter and wife don't take like my son and i will then it will be a waste. But if i start with the std the boy and i can hit ALL the trails. I like.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Rick, I rode the Piaute last year on stock steel wheels and 25x12 bighorns. I chose the standard steel wheels because I feel that the al's are too fragile (IMHO) I have bang'd the steels back in shape and gotten back, I don't know if I could have done that with a aftermarket. I upgraded the horns to the Pittbulls but currently have the stock Maxxis on for I'm leaving for Marysville tommorow the ride the 50" trails,
John

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Oh, one thing I might try is to put my spacers back on in the rear and then put on the front Pittbull's on so I'll have the stock Maxxis on the front and the 8" Pitt's on the rear. I should still be 50" in theory,
John

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh, one thing I might try is to put my spacers back on in the rear and then put on the front Pittbull's on so I'll have the stock Maxxis on the front and the 8" Pitt's on the rear. I should still be 50" in theory,
John
John I understand your comment on steel wheels, just don't have that experience, and have a set of alumjnum wheels.

Could you end up with a set of Pitts at 8" as your favorite tire for 50"? Is that a thought? No other 25" under consideration I assume.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The guys I ride with, including myself have aliumnum wheels and we ride hard and fast on the rocks and have never broken a wheel. We have never bent a wheel. I have hit some rocks so hard I would have bet it broke the tire rod ends. But, so for nothing has broken.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Rick, I don't know if I'll try the front Pitts on the back this time but it does give me some thought. Those tires grip so well that I think the front width would exceed the stock Maxxis rears!!
John

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I did a ride report of going from 14" Crushers w/rawhide's to 12" Crushers with Maxxis's. I didnt get much press either. I went to add to it and accidentally deleted it so I just left it deleted.
The bottom line is its the happiest I have been with the RZR since I bought it about 3 years ago. Took off the fender flairs also. Nothing wrong with the stock Maxxs tires that I have found yet. MUCH better than the Rawhides!

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did a ride report of going from 14" Crushers w/rawhide's to 12" Crushers with Maxxis's. I didnt get much press either. I went to add to it and accidentally deleted it so I just left it deleted.
The bottom line is its the happiest I have been with the RZR since I bought it about 3 years ago. Took off the fender flairs also. Nothing wrong with the stock Maxxs tires that I have found yet. MUCH better than the Rawhides!
So a change to 12" and away from Good Year Rawhides. Tire size change too? The Rawhides were what was on my 14" wheels when I bought it. Wore poorly,especialy one. Big Horns were a big plus. My set of `12" wheels with stock 2 ply Maxxis tires don't please me. the tire only touches the trail in the center, gets a little tread bounce and they are worn and don't grip well. I'll need new at some point and am trying to get an idea what might work best.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts