Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poking around in the used sales locally and it seems like everyone here is 4K+ in miles. 2014 through 2017. All virtually the same price, $12k. Which to me seems high but they're modded, usually. I'm curious if RZRs have the "didn't use enough, or used it way too much" adage.

What's you alls feelings on the amount of miles per year is acceptable.

I'm trying to figure out also about how many miles is reasonable (to that people have been getting out of a motor) to believe you'd be rebuilding the top end.

BTW I saw a XP800 listed the other day with 16,000 on it for $6k to give you an idea of what we seem to have here lol

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I sold my 2014 XP1000 with 5500 miles on it almost 2 years ago. If it is well take care of the mileage is no big deal.

·
ShredTheLedge
68 Posts
What part of the country is “local” to you? What kind of trails, mud, rock, fire roads ect?

I’ll surpass 2000 miles after this years season is over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Southwest. Dunes, desert, forest. And in Scottsdale.. cruising to Whole Foods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Southwest. Dunes, desert, forest. And in Scottsdale.. cruising to Whole Foods

I would ask the person in detail about the maintenance on the XP1000 you are interested in. The only concern would be the bearings in the transmission and clutch wear. If the clutches have been replaced you are good there.

The motors are good for a lot of miles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Being a four stroke motor it shoiud last a long time if someone takes care of it and doesn't beat on it every ride. Look how long a quad motor lasts or motorcycle. The big but is.......but it all depends on where it was driven. If its whole life was in the sand with poor filter clean it could hsve a much shorter life. Same applies if it was a mudder machine and spent most of its life with the motor in the water compared to a woodland trail machine so there is no real answer......too many variables but I could pick out an abused and beat up machine a mile away. Just look for rust or heavy mud stuck in nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My 2015 XP1000 has 8500 plus miles.
Still looks and runs great, have always changed oil and filters at regular intervals or after every week long trip,
Replaced the tranny and secondary clutch at 8100, Primary clutch at 6000, wheel bearings as needed, carrier bearing and prop shafts at 4000, brake pads at 6000, replaced front diff at 3500, O2 sensor at 8500. We ride a lot of challenging stuff at Moab, UT, Taylor Park & Silverton, CO, Mulberry Mountain, AR, Lake Pleasant, AZ, and a few easy rides near home.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hard to get a consensus on it. I wouldn't buy one with more than 1000-1500 miles on it. For me, 4000-6000 miles is up there. Clutches, trans, and the effing wheel bearings I'm always hearing about go out.

If I didn't have to think about clutches or at least the trans and bearings so soon I wouldn't consider 4000-6000 miles to be high. But since those things typically go out I do. My Jeep can go a lot longer before a wheel bearing fails (probably not in mud as much as some RZR's) or a clutch goes to shit. Hope Polaris gets away from the belts and does the CVT or something else.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The big thing to keep in mind is with more mile equals more maintenance. If the previous owner hasn't replaced wear items you will and it could get expensive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Constant maintenance on my 2015 with 8000 miles. Replaced primary clutch at 7000 miles. Transmission lost a bearing at 2500 miles, new one put in under warranty. Agree with others, maintenance is key. Fluids sitting in a low milage rzr for 3 years can cause more issues then a higher milage maintained rzr.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 2017 1000 xp has 3500 mountain trail miles on it. Lots of water crossings, not much mud. Machine has been used, but not abused. So far I've had to replace 2 wheel bearings, and changed the belt so I could have a spare one. Very reliable machine. I almost traded it a couple of months ago, dealer was a little shocked at the high mileage. So I guess mileage is really relative to where you live.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 2017 1000 xp has 3500 mountain trail miles on it. Lots of water crossings, not much mud. Machine has been used, but not abused. So far I've had to replace 2 wheel bearings, and changed the belt so I could have a spare one. Very reliable machine. I almost traded it a couple of months ago, dealer was a little shocked at the high mileage. So I guess mileage is really relative to where you live.
The dealer being shocked at 3,500 miles sure as hell is not a testimonial for the faith in his product line. I didn't spend $20 grand plus $5 grand of options with the expectation to have my XP disposable at 3,500 miles like a disposable Bic Razor. Geeses.....

·
The Lone Rzr
2,096 Posts
I was hoping to hear of some high milers out there.
I just turned 2100 miles on my 2017 xp41k
Doesn't burn oil and still on original tires and that's riding a lot of asphalt
Doing a full fluid change
Not sure what it's worth but I sure hope to get double that mileage before I need to replace anything

·
Berzerker
1,447 Posts
7200 on mine. As is usual for Polaris the trans died. Extended warranty replaced that. Then the motor got dusted right after the trans replacement. I suspect the mechanics didn't seal up my airbox as well as they should have. So now it's got a new motor with lightweight aftermarket rods and valves. It's like new again!

·
Registered
132 Posts
looking at a 2017 with 580 miles and 110 hours, going to look at it this weekend...
Sounds like someone left the key on or rode very very slow lol.

I don't even have 110 hours yet and 2100 miles

Five hours per mile. Lol

The guy says that he only put 50 miles on it in the past year, and it's mainly been driven around his hood with the grandkid in the pass. seat.... We'll see what it looks like this weekend.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts