Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m going to be purchasing a 4 seater rzr within a month or so. I’m looking for opinions on which model to get And why. It will be myself, my wife and our 4 year old son. Will be riding mostly desert trails, and once or twice a year sand dunes. This will be our first side x side.
we have narrowed it down to.
1. Xp1k4
2. Xp pro, base - mostly for the heavier duty parts
other suggestions are more then accepting

Is the xp turbo even worth it now with the pro xp out?

is the turbo worth it for a family machine? Not racing it, just a fun family ride.
waiting to hear opinions, not get flamed and, yes, I have been reading a ton on this forum using the search function, lol

·
Registered
844 Posts
Turbo. I’m biased.
You know yourself better than anyone (at least from this site) and you’ll know if you want a turbo.
More power, beefier components, more $$$ to drop.
Xp1k can be snorkeled at least for deep bogs, if you’re into that.

·
Can't 'Member.
795 Posts
Just an opinion, but with the 4 seat car you are heavier, and the turbo will be a better deal. Eldest son went from a turbo 800s to an xp1000-4. It satisfied him for about 3 months. He didn't listen to Dad, LOL. He now has a XP turbo S 4 seater and is happy. He and my daughter in law have a 5 year old son.
If you know this is your sport and you are making a commitment to it, and your family is with you then get the best you can get, because it is always more expensive to sell and buy again. Buy once, trick it out once and don't get into the coulda woulda shoulda program.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have owned both, 2 XP1000s and currently have 2 turbos (one dynamix and one Turbo S). The XPP1000s will do everything you want it to do except not as fast up the big dunes or on a flat terrain in a head to head race. If you don't mind turbos beating you up the hill or in a straight race( and not by that much), buy the XP1000. I would recommend the Dynamix suspension and the Ride Command, but those are pricey items that you don't NEED, but are nice to have. The GPS in the ride command is good, but a garmin or even your smart phone is better. Good luck.

·
Registered
409 Posts
XP turbo is definitely still worth it. It’s 8-10 thousand dollars cheaper than the pro and is a very capable machine

·
Registered
342 Posts
Love my 2018 xpt2. Would get an xpt4 way before an xp1k4. And the xp pro is too expensive. I would say that the middle ground is the xpt4.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Is a 72" machine not an option? The Turbo S would be my choice out of all the machines if I were to buy another one today, but I know that may be too wide for some...

So, in the 64" machine category....MSRP on the base XP1K4 is only $1200 less than the XPT4, which makes the XP1K4 a non option in my opinion, that $1200 is worth every penny and plenty more, even if the 1K would be fine for how you intend to ride it, I'd still step up to the XPT4, it's a stronger and more powerful machine in every regard. The PXP4 base model jumps up another $3000 from the XPT4, and again, is entirely worth the added $ in strength and power, plus it's built on the newest chassis design which will be current for several years to come, but for the $3k, i'd still accept the XPT as a more cost effective option, as opposed to a non option like the XP1K. That's not a dig at the XP1K either, they are fantastic machines, but I feel they've fallen behind in the NA category, and are at a higher price point than they should currently be at, so the value isn't there to me when you can get the XPT for a relatively small amount more.

The XPT4 is on it's way out, yes, but so is the current XP1K, however, they will be supported by Polaris and the aftermarket for years to come, and are proven machines at this point, they are still some of the best SXS on the market, and are incredibly popular. The XPT would still be a perfectly viable option.

All that being said, the XPT4 or PXP4 are your best options IMO, and I don't think you could go wrong with either, just depends on if the extra cash is worth it to you to have the latest, greatest, strongest, and most powerful of the options. If you bring the bells and whistles of the PXP4 Ultimate into the mix, then that price gap becomes substantially larger, but bells and whistles aren't much my thing, and I'm still not sold on the dynamix suspension...but I also don't have much experience with it, so take that with a grain of salt.

·
Can't 'Member.
795 Posts
The 72 inch question that RWB brought up is something you need to address. You run desert mostly, and the dunes a few times a year. If you can swing it the Turbo S 4 seat is the ultimate machine for you to go to. I know this is your first machine, it isn't so powerful you can't start there if you have a level head on your shoulders.
I have been in the off road game for over 40 years, and have seen and / or made most of the mistakes you can make.
As I said before, you really need to sit down with you wife and talk about how deep you want to dive into this swamp. IF you both see yourselves involved in this sport for the long haul then a bigger chunk of cash can be spent. IF you are not sure if this is really it then hold back.
If you are still looking at buying your first house, need to figure out a tow vehicle and trailer etc then the wiser thing is to spend less. RWB pointed out there is a minimal difference between the $ for the turbo 4 xpt and the standard 1000.
It is a bigger jump to the S models.
Ideally, you find a tricked out very gently used XPT4 that someone is selling to step to a Turbo S.
These thing depreciate like a rock falling out of the sky. They are not an "investment" per se, but they are $ well spent on making memories with your family. Do a lot of thinking. Remember, if you buy new you the machine is just a part of the cost...setting it up adds a ton of $.
Let us know what you wind up with. We are always interested in seeing new toys!

Reactions: RWB713

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
Interesting note, on the Polaris website, 2020 lineup, there's only a $500 difference between the XP4 Turbo S Velocity and the ProXP 4. The XP4 Turbo S is gone from the lineup. And the prices have dropped; the 2019 XP4 Turbo S "starts at $28,399". The 2020 XP4 Turbo S Velocity "starts at $25,199". Wonder if that's a typo, as the 2020 XP Turbo S is listed as "starts at $28,199"; the 2020 Pro XP 4 "starts at $25,699"...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I almost pulled the trigger on a new 18' Fox Edition 4 seater, but the dealer sold it. I went with a Turbo 4 S Dynamix and I'm really happy I did. Its an awesome machine.

That being said I have two buddies that have XP 4 1000's, and they do really good as well and are about 1/2 the price.

Kids love the 1000 and Turbo just about the same.

I'm not sure what Popo was thinking with the Pro's, Dealers say they are not selling, and I wasn't overly impressed with the changes.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Interesting note, on the Polaris website, 2020 lineup, there's only a $500 difference between the XP4 Turbo S Velocity and the ProXP 4. The XP4 Turbo S is gone from the lineup. And the prices have dropped; the 2019 XP4 Turbo S "starts at $28,399". The 2020 XP4 Turbo S Velocity "starts at $25,199". Wonder if that's a typo, as the 2020 XP Turbo S is listed as "starts at $28,199"; the 2020 Pro XP 4 "starts at $25,699"...
That was confusing to read :ROFLMAO:

There is still a 2020 XP4 Turbo S, MSRP is $30,999

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. A little background I guess. I have left the ATV world after 20 plus years, the family wants to ride. I don't care for multiple machines. Less maintenance, tires and so on.
I own a house, a payed off Ram 3500 and payed off Sandstorm toy hauler. The toy hauler is why I can't get a 72" machine. I have 74" between a wall and kitchen cabinets and stove. That is to close. I will not be wanting to buy a new trailer since its payed off and only a couple years old. Worked perfect for what we needed when purchased.

I do see the price differences and the 72" would be the way to go, but it isn't going to happen. It seems like the consensus is a turbo unit. As mentioned above, weight with a four seater and 110 HP XP may be lacking and with a turbo xp not being much more. The turbo makes sense. But does the an extra $3000.00 make sense for the jump to a XP Pro?

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Thanks guys. A little background I guess. I have left the ATV world after 20 plus years, the family wants to ride. I don't care for multiple machines. Less maintenance, tires and so on.
I own a house, a payed off Ram 3500 and payed off Sandstorm toy hauler. The toy hauler is why I can't get a 72" machine. I have 74" between a wall and kitchen cabinets and stove. That is to close. I will not be wanting to buy a new trailer since its payed off and only a couple years old. Worked perfect for what we needed when purchased.

I do see the price differences and the 72" would be the way to go, but it isn't going to happen. It seems like the consensus is a turbo unit. As mentioned above, weight with a four seater and 110 HP XP may be lacking and with a turbo xp not being much more. The turbo makes sense. But does the an extra $3000.00 make sense for the jump to a XP Pro?
For your first sxs, my honestly opinion would be no. You could take that $3k and use it on accessories instead (You will want need accessories or "mods" lol). With no previous sxs, and no rzr background to compare to, you probably won't even be able to tell a difference, and the XPT is still a very strong machine, and the kinks are worked out at this point. The PXP is a year one model on a complete redesign, and while the initial bugs have been worked out, we're still waiting to see what long term bugs come to be ( If any, there might not be, just unknown at this point ).

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
There is still a 2020 XP4 Turbo S, MSRP is $30,999
Man, Polaris' website is AFU. The 2020 lineup doesn't show the XP 4 Turbo S, only the Velocity; other places you can find the XP 4 Turbo S. The specs are listing both Fox and Walker Evans shocks on the Velocity. Oh wait, Dynamix Active Suspension says "*Available in select trims". Sheesh, you really gotta dig to find this info. It's all mish-mashed together.

Reactions: RWB713

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
I read one writeup by a guy who rolled his ProXP. Parts and plastics weren't even available for repair, and price listings were way high.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
5,713 Posts
Man, Polaris' website is AFU. The 2020 lineup doesn't show the XP 4 Turbo S, only the Velocity; other places you can find the XP 4 Turbo S. The specs are listing both Fox and Walker Evans shocks on the Velocity. Oh wait, Dynamix Active Suspension says "*Available in select trims". Sheesh, you really gotta dig to find this info. It's all mish-mashed together.

It could definitely use a little refinement lol...for someone that doesn't know, I'm sure that's confusing as hell lol.

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
I'd say, for your first, go find a year or two old XP1000 4 seater. It'll already have some accessories installed and will be priced a lot better and leave you breathing room for upgrades you may find necessary. Have a mechanic evaluate it first.

And it will be 64 wide, close to anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd say, for your first, go find a year or two old XP1000 4 seater. It'll already have some accessories installed and will be priced a lot better and leave you breathing room for upgrades you may find necessary. Have a mechanic evaluate it first.

And it will be 64 wide, close to anyway.
That's not bad advice. A friend did just that and he got a screaming deal on a near new XP 4 1000 with only 174 miles on it.

Maintenance and reliability wise, there is a lot of $hit going on under the Turbo units, almost scary all the stuff that could go wrong.

I'll also add, dont think the 1000's are lacking in the power department, they have plenty get up and go to get you in trouble.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Velocity if cheaper because it does not have Ride Command or Dynamix suspension.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts