Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
welp, blown engine on my rzr. ran her dry of oil and didnt take much for it to whir, whiz and come to a stop. to make things worse i was attempting to sell it.

The specs on the rzr - 2011 800. bunch of accessories, plus tracks and the extended warranty. i totalled it up that i have about 20,000 into it. i was trying to sell it for 16,000 and would have taken 15,500 (with tracks).

So now, the shop estimated it would be 4,000 to rebuild or 5,000 to put a new short block in (labor - $90/hr). I have also talked to a private guy who does it for $50 an hour, but id need to find the engine. I already am in 600$ to the shop just for telling me that the sonofabitch was blown. thats probably as much as i want to give them at this point.

so my questions, what would you do if this was yours? it seems pretty sillly to put 5,000 into it and then sell it for 15,000- thus losing 10,000 on the deal in a year. also, where would be a good place to find a used one (outside of the classifieds on here)? also, are there any other size engines or that will fit? What would be a fair asking price if i were to just sell it as is?

im sure all my questions dont have an answer, but if any of you have been there or are in the know and could give me any tips, id really appreciate it.

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oil change in may, filter decided to get loose 4 months later.

eBay, rzr forums classifieds, where else to look??

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
welp, blown engine on my rzr. ran her dry of oil and didnt take much for it to whir, whiz and come to a stop. to make things worse i was attempting to sell it.

The specs on the rzr - 2011 800. bunch of accessories, plus tracks and the extended warranty. i totalled it up that i have about 20,000 into it. i was trying to sell it for 16,000 and would have taken 15,500 (with tracks).

So now, the shop estimated it would be 4,000 to rebuild or 5,000 to put a new short block in (labor - $90/hr). I have also talked to a private guy who does it for $50 an hour, but id need to find the engine. I already am in 600$ to the shop just for telling me that the sonofabitch was blown. thats probably as much as i want to give them at this point.

so my questions, what would you do if this was yours? it seems pretty sillly to put 5,000 into it and then sell it for 15,000- thus losing 10,000 on the deal in a year. also, where would be a good place to find a used one (outside of the classifieds on here)? also, are there any other size engines or that will fit? What would be a fair asking price if i were to just sell it as is?

im sure all my questions dont have an answer, but if any of you have been there or are in the know and could give me any tips, id really appreciate it.

thanks
Good god... I need a drink just from reading that post. Did you damage the crank? if it's just top end ? I would do it myself ,buy the parts from Tim, swingarm 1 on the forum, I don't think you should sell it as is, you will take too big of hit on price JMHO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crank has some damage, but the shop thinks it will be fine if it's rebuilt the right way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
if it were mine, i would beat myself up pretty bad for not checking the oil... and then take the opportunity to tear it all down, salvage what you can, rebuild it, and possibly add some cool stuff like turbo, suspension, etc... Consider it an expensive lesson, and to ease your pain, at the end of it all you will be out about $6K either way, except if you do it all yourself, you will have a bad a$$ machine and a little pride that you did it yourself, or give the $6K to the dealer and end up where you were right before it smoked.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Crank has some damage, but the shop thinks it will be fine if it's rebuilt the right way.
Then why the hell would it cost so much to fix?
I completely rebuilt mine including crank & rods, low compression CP pistons ( I am turbo'd), good used head & cylinder, new in box cam from another member, pinned and welded the crank, Holz oil pressure regulator, all gaskets and seals, etc. I also bought a used PC5 and a new autotune all for 2,200.00 bux. I did everything except hone the cylinders, I paid a machine shop to do that. I am sure I am leaving some stuff out as it has been a year and a half ago. Even with labor I can't see why it would be that spendy...they're takin you to the cleaners.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Then why the hell would it cost so much to fix?
I completely rebuilt mine including crank & rods, low compression CP pistons ( I am turbo'd), good used head & cylinder, new in box cam from another member, pinned and welded the crank, Holz oil pressure regulator, all gaskets and seals, etc. I also bought a used PC5 and a new autotune all for 2,200.00 bux. I did everything except hone the cylinders, I paid a machine shop to do that. I am sure I am leaving some stuff out as it has been a year and a half ago. Even with labor I can't see why it would be that spendy...they're takin you to the cleaners.
I agree they're kicking you in the nuts while you're down.:rm_thumbdown:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shoot-- I might have gotten that mixed up. I think it's the case that's fine and the crank that's done for. I dunno. I was in total shock when I talked to them and wasn't listening all that close.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and figure it all out.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
If you have that much $$$$ into it with a motor that's blown...IMHO, part it out!!

Sell the tracks for 25-30% loss (depending on ware), maybe less.(meaning 4k ect..)
Sell ALL usable motor parts

People want EVERYTHING, front & rear riffs sell really well, heck, we even have guys needing frames, plastics ect... I bet you'll get more return parting it! Just my opinion, but if I ever sold mine (total retail into it 34k) I'm WAY better off restoring original & selling parts or just parting everything! Give it a thought & good luck!

Wazz

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
If you already in the hole 600 at the shop they must have removed and tore the engine down already. That's almost half the battle getting it out and tore down. I would get a better itemized list of the cost of parts and labor and see what they could do since they already have it in pieces.

I am sure the labor is a big chunk of the bill. It is about to get where you can't afford to pay someone else to work on your stuff. It may take me a lot more time to fix something than a shop but I figure my time is free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I am going to get it a quote from swingarm for how much it would the parts would all cost and have a private guy put it together for me.

Is it normal for a shop to charge 600$ before even calling to ask you what direction you want to go?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would think any shop would give you a couple of scenarios as to what to expect from each one (costs, pros, cons, etc...) and let you decide, before they just go and put $600 on your tab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts