Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to put up a few pics tomorrow night, I have my 08 rzr 800 down to the frame and I found a small crack in it. Im thinking now is the ideal time to strengthen the frame if im going to, welding machining and fabricating dont worry me, I have the tools or access to them and enough experience to get by. Im wondering where are the key spots to gusset it? I dont really want to pay $300 for a kit nor do I really want to wait for a kit. Also is there anything else I should be doing while I'm this far in? Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
look at racertech frame brace kit and there other frame goodies and get utv inc slide in and weld frame tube gussets ,best set up ,the way I went ,and the differance is amazing,there are cheaper alternatives to racer tech parts but there quality makes them a bargin compared to the others

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
while you have it apart, look up front where the front loop (big square tube) ties into the main frame rails you should find 4 more cracks (both sides on top and on bottom) weld those up while you're in there :)

for gussetts, you can make your own, you'll want to spend a lot of time in the tail of the bike and in the nose and just strengthen up as much as you can.. take a look at where your rear control arms bolt in you will see a little butt weld that is probably broken, fix that, then gusset it so that column doesnt flex, if you're an 08, check and strengthen your rear upper shock mounts(tie them together if you can)
there is somewhat of a cage that wraps around your rear diff, check all around that especially the two pieces of 1" tube that come off the top and bend to near horizontal, they tend to crack just before the bend.
up front, if you can put a support x in to the openening above the steering rack, that'd be good, also add cross bracing in the floor of the nose, anything you can do to beef up the suspension tabs would be good (gussetts, plates to make them a little heaver)
the middle of the car seems to deal with flex pretty well, so let it flex there the only thing iv'e come across in the middle are the cracks i just mentioned.

if you've been in any sandy water at all, you outriggers (things the rocker panels are bolted to) will be full of wet sand, get that out if you can or you will have a rust problem soon.

·
Premium Member
41,099 Posts
I'll try to put up a few pics tomorrow night, I have my 08 rzr 800 down to the frame and I found a small crack in it. Im thinking now is the ideal time to strengthen the frame if im going to, welding machining and fabricating dont worry me, I have the tools or access to them and enough experience to get by. Im wondering where are the key spots to gusset it? I dont really want to pay $300 for a kit nor do I really want to wait for a kit. Also is there anything else I should be doing while I'm this far in? Thanks for the help guys!
RACER TECH makes a complete gusset kit for your RZR...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
while you have it apart, look up front where the front loop (big square tube) ties into the main frame rails you should find 4 more cracks (both sides on top and on bottom) weld those up while you're in there :)

for gussetts, you can make your own, you'll want to spend a lot of time in the tail of the bike and in the nose and just strengthen up as much as you can.. take a look at where your rear control arms bolt in you will see a little butt weld that is probably broken, fix that, then gusset it so that column doesnt flex, if you're an 08, check and strengthen your rear upper shock mounts(tie them together if you can)
there is somewhat of a cage that wraps around your rear diff, check all around that especially the two pieces of 1" tube that come off the top and bend to near horizontal, they tend to crack just before the bend.
up front, if you can put a support x in to the openening above the steering rack, that'd be good, also add cross bracing in the floor of the nose, anything you can do to beef up the suspension tabs would be good (gussetts, plates to make them a little heaver)
the middle of the car seems to deal with flex pretty well, so let it flex there the only thing iv'e come across in the middle are the cracks i just mentioned.

if you've been in any sandy water at all, you outriggers (things the rocker panels are bolted to) will be full of wet sand, get that out if you can or you will have a rust problem soon.
Thank you! Thats exactly what I wanted to hear, Ive been sandblasting it and I found another crack, Ill reinforce those spots and ill try to get pics of it after. Maybe a week or so... Im worried im going to end up putting a gusset in the way of something... hopefully not lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RACER TECH makes a complete gusset kit for your RZR...
Ive got nothing but time so Im trying to save a few bucks and do it on my own but if im desperite ill look into it! thanks!

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
if you can wait for the gusset kit to show up, that really is the best way to do it. i have a plasma table so it's easy to make brakets and gussets. i just did a frame off on my gen1 so i know exactly what your doing.. i am much happier with my car now (especially since it's like a new car now)

·
Vendor
4,015 Posts
Yup. We've been down this road many many times before and have identified and corrected the weaknesses necessary. And Eli, I have chassis sleeves too. I was the one who designed them in the first place... ;)

Here's a list of what we offer and everything is in stock. We completely respect you for wanting to do this on your own and can relate because we are all DIY guys here as well... I know it adds up to a lot but unfortunately the RZR chassis requires a lot of fixing... For anyone else looking to upgrade their chassis and would prefer to save the time of trying to figure it all out on their own I've listed these in order of priority, so you can draw a line where you want to cry uncle.. LOL

RZR 800 Weld-In Gusset Kit

RZR Chassis Sleeves

RZR 800 Rear Shock Cross Brace

RZR 800 Front Lower Chassis Brace

RZR 800 Rear Lower Chassis Brace

RZR 800 Front Cage Mounts

RZR 800 A-Pillar Brace

RZR 800 Motor Mount Brace

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
well I didnt know that! but I'm all aglow you know my name,lol and want to add andy's such a straight up guy hes given you the link to his kit, if you go to the installation instuctions you can duplacate it,god knows about every one else selling one did! but for the price unless you have a bunch of steel lying around ,and a ton of time it aint worth it,also do reenforce the a arm bolt holes his hardend washers are hard to beat and avalible seperatly,and youd need a lath to duplacate,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Andy, thanks for posting that! I spent about 2 hours making the brackets out of cardboard and tomorrow Im going to try to make a few! I feel bad for copying your work but if theres anything I cant make Ill be sure to come to you first! lol elias Im in high school now so any tools I want to use are there and plenty of metal ;) and I do have a lathe I might just weld some washers on.. Ill see what happens.
Hopefully Ill be able to help out on here in the near future, really thankful for the help!!

·
Vendor
4,015 Posts
Oh Eli... lol Thanks for reminding me though... We also sell Stepped Washers for pivot bolt reinforcements as well...

I have no problem sharing info with people who intend to copy me if they are just DIY guys like me. For every one person who has more time than money, there is another ten people who have more money than time. This is where our revenue comes from. It's all part of our American dream... To all the companies who have copied my stuff through the years; quit trying to ruin my dream and get your own. :rofl3:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts