Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Standard Vendor
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although we have probably had literally every type of off road vehicles, bikes, quads, 4x4's etc.. Like many our adventure with UTV's started with the introduction of the Rhino. This in my opinion was the start of something that has now become a leading segment. It literally launched an aftermarket boom and brought about a huge growth in off road racing. At larger events they now dominate car counts, and there are now several series that are purely SxS/UTV events. Yep... like many our little Rhino morphed into a race car and raced one of first series here in So Cal (SxS National Series) put on by none other than Ken Johnson. Great times, good people and huge learning curve! Lets see some shots of your first SXS/UTV, Here's ours.....

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,644 Posts
Started for me when my buddy picked up a new RZR in late 2011. That was as the SXS market was growing rapidly and the XP 900 has set the bar high for performance SXS. Being around rock crawling and off roading our whole lives, it quickly developed into trying to the same addiction that we'd been around since High school..."I bet we can crawl that". That was a 2012 XP 900 LE in Orange Madness....he built a cage and solid doors for it, and started knocking out upgrades one by one, That was the first SXS I ever rode in, and I bought it from him in July 2013, it's same RZR that's pictured below.."Molly", obviously she underwent a few changes :). Everything on that machine was replaced and upgraded, expect for the transmission (Ironic....) by the time I got rid of it after picking up my XPT. The fire had been fueled, and is burning even brighter these days lol.

How's she doing these days @dartersracing ? Have you breathed new life back into her yet?

·
Standard Vendor
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep... the xp900 was a game changer. Good power and travel. Loved ours and did the same with a good cage and solid side panels.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
All it took was for a ride in a 800 with my wife and I and we knew we needed an SXS instead of a couple ATVs. So in '14 we went down and bought ourselves a '14 900XP Orange madness. Didn't know much about the UTV aftermarket, so we loaded it up with a bunch of OEM gear. Ever since then, we have loved every minute of this sport and continue to grow with it.

Attachments

·
Standard Vendor
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timoloco...... That's Awesome! Lets keep this thing rolling...... There has to be more of you that can share your introduction into the SxS / UTV world.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Our launch was a friend's Polaris Phoenix 200 ATV... somewhere around 2005... Leading to a 125cc Yamaha Breeze and a Polaris Hawkeye and a 450 Sportsman, on to a 570 RZR, now with an S900 and a 550 Sportsman...

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
106 Posts
What started it for me were several injuries, hospital visits, ambulance rides and astronomical medial bills from injuries i sustained while riding atvs and dirtbikes.

Im 30 years old with a 16 month old boy.
My body is trashed, i have a severe back injury that i battle with every day. Ill be in a wheel chair in another 30 years, im sure.

I enjoy the hobby/interest too much to just walk away so i sold the dirtbikes and quads and bought a rzr.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Honestly I’ve known about sidexsides or whatever the many names and abbreviations you wanna call them for some time. Always been into off-roading, desert, dirtbike and everything’s that’s similar and related. I think after seeing the later model RZRs with much better longer travel suspension and seeing 4 seaters with happy friends and family mob through whooped trails better then most trucks could I was hooked and had to get one.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Sigh, our launch was a motorcycle wreck. My sixth new Harley, a 2008 Ultra Classic Electra Glide. Cruise control, anti-lock brakes...all the goodies. But do one no good when clipped from behind in a right turn. High sided, flew about 15 feet and landed on my forehead. Left eye blinded, third of the brain gone, numerous skull and facial fractures and all sorts of impairments. Wife wasn't quite that bad, but a couple burst fractured vertebrae, broken wrist, and one skull fracture running through her left ear, now deaf.

But I'm a guy that has to have a passion, its been dirt bikes, street rods, a Land Cruiser, a Chevy K10, Harleys, a new Corvette, then Harleys again, trapshooting, and then a Polaris 800 and then a Polaris General. Yup, both of the SXSs somewhere North of 35K.
The move to the RZR 800 was the most expensive. To have a RZR, you need a Toyhauler, Voltage 3800 and a truck to pull it, 2011 Chevy Silverado, Duramax, DRW with a Highway Products aluminum tool box.
Here's my two money pits in the Toybarn:

And here's a pic of the "hauling outfit" for the General:

Now, if I could just have one outing without something major going awry!! But I keep trying...a passion ya know!

Pirate

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a small quad back on the farm but in 2014, I came out to AZ and rode with a friend in his 800RZR. I went back to Iowa and bought my own 800. Then a 900XP followed by a 900XP 4 and now a 1000 XP4. As you can plainly see, I'm hooked. Desert and mountain riding is my favorite.

·
Army Signals Retired
146 Posts
What started it for me was when I retired in 2017. After 34 years of service, I was all of a sudden at home doing my woodworking hobby in my garage once in a while. One day and decided to take a break. My wife and I were sitting on our small deck at the front of the house talking about how we should find a hobby to do together. Just them a truck with an ATV in a trailer drove by the house, we looked at each other and said 'how about trying that?'.

The next day we drove to a dealer in the city and picked up our very first Can-Am 2-up machine. Only had it out a couple of times but I didn't like the throttle thingy because after a long ride, I couldn't feel my thumb. A guy that we were riding with had a RZR RS1, I fell in love with that machine and said 'too bad they don't make these with two seats'...after a long trail side conversation, the following day we made a trip out to a Polaris dealer who he recommended in the area and traded it in on our first RZR 900 Trail.

We just recently traded that one in on a 2019 RZR XP 1000. Still haven't had it out yet, but I'm sure we will be more pleased than the last.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
It all started for me when it became painfully obvious that my wife did not have the throttle gene necessary for dirt bikes. She was a black diamond skier in her youth, but for some reason that didn't carryover to dirt bikes. We sold her bike and got a RZR. I really enjoy being able to watch scenery instead of the ground out front of my bike. She has become a super-navigator and we have had some truly good times. I still get some dirtbike-like jollies in the RZR and all the guilt and resentment is gone with me being off dirt biking all the time.
Win-win.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Alway was into dirt bikes. Meet my wife and got her a Yamaha blaster that she would ride while I was on the two stroke yz125. I ended up having kids and getting older. Got rid of the bike and got a Yamaha grizzly. She was riding a rubicon and had a fairly nasty crash. She didn’t get hurt too bad but bad enough she want to be caged up and protected a bit. So I traded the two quads for a 450 rhino. It was a billy goat and took us everywhere we wanted to go. Had a buddy that had a 09 800. Took a rip in it and liked the power increase so of course I had to get one. Found one with a engine knock and traded the billy goat for it. Rebuilt the motor and tore it up for a couple of years. Bought a 15 900s and passed the 800 down to my son. Had the 900 for 2 years and sold it to get the 15 1kxp I currently have. My son sold the 800 and recently bought a 15 fox edition 1kxp salvaged. He got it trail worthy and we went for the first ride a few weeks ago. He still has a ktm200. My 13yr old daughter rides an 05 Suzuki ltz 250 and we bought my 9yr old daughter a 17 Polaris outlaw 110. It is a great family hobby that we won’t out grow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,001 Posts
Started for me when my buddy picked up a new RZR in late 2011. That was as the SXS market was growing rapidly and the XP 900 has set the bar high for performance SXS. Being around rock crawling and off roading our whole lives, it quickly developed into trying to the same addiction that we'd been around since High school..."I bet we can crawl that". That was a 2012 XP 900 LE in Orange Madness....he built a cage and solid doors for it, and started knocking out upgrades one by one, That was the first SXS I ever rode in, and I bought it from him in July 2013, it's same RZR that's pictured below.."Molly", obviously she underwent a few changes :). Everything on that machine was replaced and upgraded, expect for the transmission (Ironic....) by the time I got rid of it after picking up my XPT. The fire had been fueled, and is burning even brighter these days lol.

View attachment 643413

View attachment 643415

How's she doing these days @dartersracing ? Have you breathed new life back into her yet?
Actually she is running, I built another motor and dropped in it, just need to spend a day and wrap it up. Just tore your motor down, looks like you just did pistons and some other upgrades.

·
Standard Vendor
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad this is gaining traction.... Here is the evolution of our 2014 XP1000. From cool dune and trail machine to a one off race machine. Stretched 13", 14 gallon fuel tank, long travel etc.
Was fortunate enough to run it in the King Of The Hammers in 2018. Went down right after that and had to take the rest of the year off due to back to back surgeries and recovery. Felt good enough to get back at it in March 2019, Ran a local desert series (DP4) with my daughter as co-dog. Best time ever, won 3 races and ended up with the class championship. Not sure this old guy is up for any more racing, but you never know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
they said marijuana was a gate way drug, i didnt think I would out grow it so fast. I sat in my first UTV when i was 18, and i was hooked, instantly stopped smoking the weak stuff and went full throttle into my first UTV which has caused me to go into major debt, my family tells me i have a problem but i keep buying more parts that I dont need. But the car looks cool as hell, and no drug ever gets me as high as i feel when im ripping it through whoops.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,644 Posts
Actually she is running, I built another motor and dropped in it, just need to spend a day and wrap it up. Just tore your motor down, looks like you just did pistons and some other upgrades.
That was an Ebay special that was supposedly a new rebuild, It dropped a valve right when i started it up, I replaced the valve with new keepers, and it dropped again...at that point I was done messing with it and never looked further into it, glad to hear she's still around

·
Registered
97 Posts
Got sick of lack of snow in the north woods of Wisconsin and having to trailer to the UP to try and find snow to ride. Picked up a used 2012 800. The sledding group all ended up buying them in the next year or so, and now we have a gang it’s evolved so much that some of us are now on our 3rd cars and every weekend we try to go somewhere new. It’s def impacted our world in a very positive way!

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

1 - 20 of 27 Posts