Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered..I did a search and got nada..
Just curious what weight oil people are running with turbo kits on the stock motors,which includes piston swap.
(Not including the self contained units:rofl3)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tuf- got it 0W-40
Dr. Vacation...ill look into those posts...
Thanks

To clarify...I'm only interested in what viscosity guys are running...not brands we all seem to have our own brand preferences. Just wonderring mainly if any one is running ahigher viscosity oil...like a 5w-50 or 20w-50?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Basically I know of some that are running 20w-50 on turboed Polaris 760 cc motors..just wondering if any of the guys here are doing that..or running something other than 0w-40.
I am currently running 0w-40 with no-issues and as it is cooling off plan to probably stay with that as that is what the engine is designed for..don't want to starve the cam...but if the turbo heats up the oil significantly more than a stock machine would maybe the 50 is a good idea?? I need to install an oil temp guage..I know the turbo heats the oil...just not sure it's enough volume flows through the turbo to significantly raise average oil temp? Sure an oil cooler is a good idea..no doubt..and I plan to do one..but thoughts on running higher vicosity oil??

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
i use to change the oil in my rail (turbo subaru) every trip. the turbo would cook the oil and make it black. i just used chevron oil from costco, and changed it frequently. i would change the filter in the remote cooler/filter every 3-4 trips.

·
Registered
319 Posts
depends on the weather! if it hot, 20-50W but that's with a stroker crank it needs heavily oil with the roller bearing, if it's cold below 60 deg 10-40W and lucas with Tb zink 1 ounce per 2 guarts this type of engine needs the zink! and with a turbo make sure you run an oil cooler if you have one of the turbo's that return oil to the engine it just makes good sense to help your motor cool down and not break up the oil.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
if you look at heavy duty diesel synth. oils youll find these additives in them there rated s.a.e. cf and will talk about "valve train protection" and go as low as 5-40 weight,your lifters will love you

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
p,s, or use additve, google premature camshaft wear and youll see a bunch of people trying to figure out whether its bad metal or bad heat treating that caused cam / lifter failure when richocet racing has the right answer these oil additives make the oil that burns off have higher emmisions and there just arnt that many flat tappet cam things out there for the big guys to care,and I dont know/trust polaris oils to have them either

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good "motorcycle" oils are also high in zinc and phosphorus, great for concentrated areas of heat.
Thanks for the replies fellas.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Motul 300V great racing motorcyle oil

·
Registered
147 Posts
5w-50

·
Registered
319 Posts
check with the manufacture they usually have an oil chart for the temperature and what weight to run, if it is below 0 I would go with 0-40w but check with manufacture first.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
check with the manufacture they usually have an oil chart for the temperature and what weight to run, if it is below 0 I would go with 0-40w but check with manufacture first.
Yep..maybe some of the Weber guys can help you out if you don't have access to their literature?
Since you bring up that point..just about everyone..EXCEPT Polaris will have a temp chart in the owner's manual with the Temp ranges and viscosities acceptable for their engines at said temps..Polaris only specs 1 viscosity for a given ATV/UTV engine and only 2 for all of them AFAIK..0w-40 and 2w-50. Polaris apparently thinks 1covers ALL ranges. Granted they do cover wide ranges..but IMO it is all part of Polaris' attempt to get people to only buy their fluids...and sadly it works for them..alot of people are scared to run anything if it doesn't come from Polaris...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts