Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Polaris filter is good. I did notice on the Maintenance manual there are two filters for the polaris. Both will fit but one is longer than the other. Amsoil filters are also very good.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Polaris filter is good. I did notice on the Maintenance manual there are two filters for the polaris. Both will fit but one is longer than the other. Amsoil filters are also very good.
Ok thanks for the info! I think I will probably go with Maxima Oil and the Polaris Oil filter.

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
I have 10,000 miles on my 2015 1000XP, most of it with the Amsoil and wix oil filters. Last oil change I tried Mobil 1 5w50 and it seems to be working well. Nothing but R2C air filters since new, as I spent the majority of those miles in the horrible central Oregon dust. I have yet to find a speck of dust inside the intake tube.
I used Amsoil 5W 40 for my 2006 VW Tdi diesel. Close to every 40,000 miles cambuckets destroyed & and cam, needed to be replaced twice then I got rid of the piece of junk Car.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

Just got my oil today just waiting on the oil filter witch should be here tomorrow, And then this weekend I will be doing a bunch of the maintenance like, Greasing all the zurk fittings, Pulling the skid plate and getting all the mud and crap out of under there, Replacing the belt, Blew it last weekend, And I think that is it! Thanks again for all the recommendations!

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Good idea! I will do that if there is any under the skid plate.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I run Rotella T6 and Wix filter. Mainy because I have a few machines and use the same oil in all of them. I haven't checked the current rebates but last year when I bought it Wal Mart had the gallon jugs for under 20.00 and there is a 7.00 rebate on them so 13.00 for a gallon of T6. Cheaper then most oils.....

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I forgot to ask earlier but should I change the oil filter every oil change? Or every other oil change?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
IMO changing the filter is more important than changing the oil - new filter every time
Ok that is what I've been doing just want to make sure I'm not just blowing money on filters that don't need to be replaced. Thanks!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I always steer clear of these what oil is best post I see every day. It is always a bunch of opinions of folks that know NOTHING about oil with very little facts included in the comments. (Disclaimer - I have read a few post with some very good info/facts.)

But.... I have decided to share my opinion here. First time for everything!

It.... just... does... not.... matter.... for 99% of us. I get tired of folks spending so much time and effort worrying about this oil or that being better, or trying to save $4 on oil after spending $800 for a stereo.

I use Polaris lubricants/filters (Polaris branded Donaldson air filter).
Overpriced? Yes.
Something better? Maybe/Probably.

But guess what... that does not matter. What matters is keeping the dust out of the engine and changing all lubricants and filters earlier vs. later. I change oil, filter, trans and differential at a maximum of 50 hours. Sometimes I change at 35 or 40 if I have a 2-3 day trip coming up. I just sold a used 4 wheeler from 2003 that run like brand new. Others I looked at around that year model smoked, knocked, or worse. The guy that purchased it ask me how I kept it in such good shape. I told him that I run the heck out of my toys, but I do preventative maintenance like crazy.

·
Registered
'17 4-1000
263 Posts
i change oil every 20 hrs or 1 yr, whichever comes 1st; filter every 50 hrs.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,275 Posts
Filter every change? Not needed. Assuming you use a truly good filter.

Our crank cases are small for the power developed. We can contaminate the oil (usually fuel) somewhat easily. But ideally you're making very little metal or picking up little dirt. An oil analysis would tell you for sure. Anyway, the point is rarely is the filter going to be filled or even mildy compromised.

I change every other only because I change a bit early and don't want the oil mess. Mind you I'm using the best filter I can get too, so...

Reactions: stewbud

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Filter every change? Not needed. Assuming you use a truly good filter.

Our crank cases are small for the power developed. We can contaminate the oil (usually fuel) somewhat easily. But ideally you're making very little metal or picking up little dirt. An oil analysis would tell you for sure. Anyway, the point is rarely is the filter going to be filled or even mildy compromised.

I change every other only because I change a bit early and don't want the oil mess. Mind you I'm using the best filter I can get too, so...
I use the Polaris (OEM) oil filter. And I change the oil every 50 hours.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts