Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's the oil I use. Maxima has a good amount of zinc , but not much moly. It coats your cam lobes, bearing journals, and valve guides to help prevent premature wear. My poor motor gets ran pretty hard.
I think I will go with what what @dafish sayed Cuz that setup is cheaper, Do you think That setup will do it? Or do you think I should go with the more expensive option like what you are using?

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,102 Posts
Big:

Expensive is not better. I've looked at a LOT of oils. This ends up more religion than anything else. If you really want to know how to understand oils I'll share a spreadsheet with you of the pertinent factors. But here me clearly on this: At this point we're well past any reasonable concern. Getting a good air filter will matter far more, and then will come regular maintenance. If you did that the Poo oil would be good enough. What I tell you just happens to be better, cheaper, and easier to do.

As to why the Rislone: Our engines are knownto wear the buckets and shims. ZDDP is a significant anti-wear agent that helps prevent that. ZDDP wears out, so while to some degree you want enough to get good plating, to another if you change it often enough it's a non-issue. Push come to shove any of the oils I suggest have enough Zinc and Phosphor to make this pretty minor issue. On the other hand it's cheap, and highly available.

I say this a lot, but the keys to my recommendations are:

1) Maintain well is most important. By far.
2) Use quality components that aren't a hassle, or a silly premium, to get. (or I'd use the Amsoil, which remains the best I've looked at).
3) Know what you're doing and why. (ergo I use a little ZDDP. But if I was out I'd sure as hell go riding!)

This is not to trivialize group IV oils, but lots of guys don't know what they are, and in truth the cost does not justify them given the low hours we run before changing.

BTW, I change oil filter every other oil change now. Less mess and I'm using oil and filter that is plenty good enough.

All:
Yes, you can buy the Donaldson Nano anywhere. Donaldon direct even (as I recall). I just bought from Amazon and moved on. Yes, the "Nano" is the heavy duty joint initiative Poo and Donaldson did together. Nor do I mean to suggest either the S&B or the Desert Crafter are bad. However, neither will commit too, or even test, filtration levels after cleaning so how in hell can I trust them?

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Big:

Expensive is not better. I've looked at a LOT of oils. This ends up more religion than anything else. If you really want to know how to understand oils I'll share a spreadsheet with you of the pertinent factors. But here me clearly on this: At this point we're well past any reasonable concern. Getting a good air filter will matter far more, and then will come regular maintenance. If you did that the Poo oil would be good enough. What I tell you just happens to be better, cheaper, and easier to do.

As to why the Rislone: Our engines are knownto wear the buckets and shims. ZDDP is a significant anti-wear agent that helps prevent that. ZDDP wears out, so while to some degree you want enough to get good plating, to another if you change it often enough it's a non-issue. Push come to shove any of the oils I suggest have enough Zinc and Phosphor to make this pretty minor issue. On the other hand it's cheap, and highly available.

I say this a lot, but the keys to my recommendations are:

1) Maintain well is most important. By far.
2) Use quality components that aren't a hassle, or a silly premium, to get. (or I'd use the Amsoil, which remains the best I've looked at).
3) Know what you're doing and why. (ergo I use a little ZDDP. But if I was out I'd sure as hell go riding!)

This is not to trivialize group IV oils, but lots of guys don't know what they are, and in truth the cost does not justify them given the low hours we run before changing.

BTW, I change oil filter every other oil change now. Less mess and I'm using oil and filter that is plenty good enough.

All:
Yes, you can buy the Donaldson Nano anywhere. Donaldon direct even (as I recall). I just bought from Amazon and moved on. Yes, the "Nano" is the heavy duty joint initiative Poo and Donaldson did together. Nor do I mean to suggest either the S&B or the Desert Crafter. However, neither will commit too, or even test, filtration levels after cleaning so how in hell can I trust them?
I will just go with the setup you recommended. Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
It is a little overkill for a normally aspirated motor. I run a lot of boost and wide open throttle a lot so I don't take any chances. If I was trail riding I'd run rotella and a wix filter.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It is a little overkill for a normally aspirated motor. I run a lot of boost and wide open throttle a lot so I don't take any chances. If I was trail riding I'd run rotella and a wix filter.
Ok I'm not full throttle a lot and I don't have any engine mods ether, So I think the setup um going to go with is going to be good.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have 10,000 miles on my 2015 1000XP, most of it with the Amsoil and wix oil filters. Last oil change I tried Mobil 1 5w50 and it seems to be working well. Nothing but R2C air filters since new, as I spent the majority of those miles in the horrible central Oregon dust. I have yet to find a speck of dust inside the intake tube.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have 10,000 miles on my 2015 1000XP, most of it with the Amsoil and wix oil filters. Last oil change I tried Mobil 1 5w50 and it seems to be working well. Nothing but R2C air filters since new, as I spent the majority of those miles in the horrible central Oregon dust. I have yet to find a speck of dust inside the intake tube.
Ok thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Is this what you are talking about? https://www.amazon.com/Maxima-349128B-Blend4-10W-40-Motorcycle/dp/B000GZQOUY And what makes you use Maxima?
We have been running the Maxima Synblend 10w -40 for the last 6 years in several RZRs and it is excellent.
It lasts far longer than the Polaris engine oil and It's not real expensive if you buy it on Amazon $33.00 per gallon delivered.

Here is a link to Alba racing site and their thoughts on Maxima

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
We have been running the Maxima Synblend 10w -40 for the last 6 years in several RZRs and it is excellent.
It lasts far longer than the Polaris engine oil and It's not real expensive if you buy it on Amazon $33.00 per gallon delivered.

Here is a link to Alba racing site and their thoughts on Maxima
Thanks for the acritical! I may induped going with that stuff. It sounds like it is good stuff for a good price! I have a question, What oil filter do you use? I'm sure that most oil filters are good but I'm just curies what you use.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I use the Polaris filter
Ok. Thanks for the recommendation! I think that maybe the oil I go with! There is just so much oil to choose from that is why I started a thread.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Max H beat me to it on citing Alba as my reason to believe in Maxima Synblend. If it’s good enough for their desert race engines, it’s plenty good for what I do. I’ve always been a fan of Maxima products and SynBlend works great for me.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts