Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to run 2wd only in dunes and want the weight/rotating mass out ... because I want to LOL ...

Anyone ever pulled the rear drive shaft? I was able to remove the front differential and front front half shaft but could not find an angle to get the rear half shaft out even with the center console plastic piece pulled out.

The bearing assembly that is attached to this rear half shaft seemed to be what was not allowing me to get to places for better engles to slide this shaft out. In messing around with it I may have damaged it too. On the rear facing side the rubber boot now has a rough "cut" around the entire edge like I would expext a tear to look like but dont see the other side that it tore from and wondering if it might just be this was from the factory, Here is a pic which you have to look hard at to see this potential damage near the shaft.

Is my shaft bearing boot damaged?

Any other ideas how to get this rear half-shaft out?

If not easy to get out, anyone forsee any issues just running it disconnected at this bearing assembly? Dont think so as its a solid mount but any input is great ...

·
Banned
5,672 Posts
thoughts:

) you are not using the bearing anymore anyway....toss it. Remove both shafts.

) if you want to re-install the bearing later a new one is $12 down the street from me. $22 other guys claim.

) to remove rear shaft, bolt the bearing back in place....and tap out shaft with a hammer. The splined end is chamfered, you cant hurt it. Shaft will easily go out the back.

) lastly, cover the tranny splined shaft with a quality cover. Can find one at any tractor place. Ask for a pto cover. They are a std size. SAE standards.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think my bearing assembly is different if take a close look at the first pic I have above. Looks like the brackets are welded together. This makes even more sense as I noticed when looking at online parts that the bearing is "no longer available" as a individual part. Did yours have the rubber boot also?

Curious, how did you get the rear half shalf out in term of direction and stuff that was removed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the 2013 Service Manual and it has very specific instructions to get it out which is indeed different than previous years. Even following this took me a while to find the exact perfect position to get the bearing side to drop out the bottom (more like to be forced out). Here is the steps after you get the front prop shaft off:

- Remove the three bolts that hold the shifter support bracket to the frame and remove it.
- Slide the rear shaft forward to get it off the transmission spline
- Slide the entire shaft as far as you can towards the front, angling the shaft slightly down and rotate the bearing assembly wings so that you can get it slightly below the floor plastics in the front and the end will sit just barely on top of the frame member
- The rear prop shaft yoke then needs to be lifted up and angled so that can fit between the stabilzer bar and the engine mount tube. Some wires and hose up there so have to get a bit creative and hold the yoke at full angle while doing so. This porocess slides the entire shaft towards the back a litte
- The front of the shaft should now be able to be pulled down with some force to get it to clear the front cross member it was previously sitting on and allow you to slide the entire shaft out from the bottom towards the front.

FYI, it is less involved to get it out on an XP4 and dont have to remove the shifter support bracket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts