Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
it is a tank that was molded wrong...we replaced three at the shop where i worked.....polaris should take care of it even out of warranty as they did on one of ours and the other two were wty......the tank has a seem around it where the halves are put together and that is a piece of the bottom half that was not removed.....they just got a bad shipment of tanks and there are a bunch out there but not many people have complained.....the first one we did we thought it may be some kind of baffle to keep gas from sloshing but it is a bad tank......

plus a little trick to get all of your gas in the tank and have it completely full is fill it and rock the machine/or giggle it a little and then add more.....i did this as a racing buddy showed me and got over a gal more in the tank

go to your dealer and request a new tank and dont take no for an answer...popo will man up on the booboo

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
it is a tank that was molded wrong...we replaced three at the shop where i worked.....polaris should take care of it even out of warranty as they did on one of ours and the other two were wty......the tank has a seem around it where the halves are put together and that is a piece of the bottom half that was not removed.....they just got a bad shipment of tanks and there are a bunch out there but not many people have complained.....the first one we did we thought it may be some kind of baffle to keep gas from sloshing but it is a bad tank......

plus a little trick to get all of your gas in the tank and have it completely full is fill it and rock the machine/or giggle it a little and then add more.....i did this as a racing buddy showed me and got over a gal more in the tank

go to your dealer and request a new tank and dont take no for an answer...popo will man up on the booboo
Do you know the production dates on the affected units?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
So I talked to a couple guys and one guy said it happened to him and he plugged his lines and then put a air compressor to the breather and the tank popped back to original. I might try it if I can't push it back to place. No leakes or holes in the tank though.

I would use regulated air and do it slowly so you don't possibly split the seam or the crushed spot when it is popping back out. Just a thought.
:run::run::run:

·
Registered
141 Posts
My tank is the same way. I bought my rzrs with 100 hours on it. It looked in great shape when I bought it. According to the guage it was full of gas, well first ride out I ran it out of gas.
Apparently the previous owner had backed up over a piece of wood and it just caught the gas tank and stoved it in real good pinning the float up to the filler tube and reducing the capicity of the tank to about 4 gallons.
I have been waiting for it to get warmer here so I could try to pop it out with air.
I am going to have fix it for sure as I'm heading to trailfest this October and half a gas tank is not going to cut it! It sucks that you can't buy just the tank.

·
Just kidding!
10,725 Posts
My tank is the same way. I bought my rzrs with 100 hours on it. It looked in great shape when I bought it. According to the guage it was full of gas, well first ride out I ran it out of gas.
Apparently the previous owner had backed up over a piece of wood and it just caught the gas tank and stoved it in real good pinning the float up to the filler tube and reducing the capicity of the tank to about 4 gallons.
I have been waiting for it to get warmer here so I could try to pop it out with air.
I am going to have fix it for sure as I'm heading to trailfest this October and half a gas tank is not going to cut it! It sucks that you can't buy just the tank.
You might be able to find one used from a racer that put in a fuel cell if you not able to pop it out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I heard about a guy that crushed his gas tank vent pipe with the seat, and it collapsed the tank to where it only held a couple gallons.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Looks to me like the tank was molded improperly. Some left over plastic in the hole blocking the inlet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ok guys here is an update on my crushed tank.
KYOST was correct in his assumption.
I was wrong about the tank being pushed in from backing over a chunk of wood.
It turns out the gas vent was crushed beneath the battery box compleatly closing it off!

Yesterday I siphoned the gas out of the tank then I put the rzr in the sun with the seat out to warm up the gas tank.
Then I hit the vent with compressed air and the tank popped out some.
So I took a hairdryer and CAREFULLY WARMED the bottom of the tank and gave it some more air, and tada!
Yes it was rather spooky to preasurize the tank and I'm not saying anyone should try it, (official disclaimer) but now the float is no longer jammed up against the filler tube and the guage works again!
To finish it off I ran a new vent line to the tank.
Jackalope I'm sure you have fixed your problem, but If you haven't, check your gas tank vent hose, I bet you have a plugged vent line and your fuel pump pulled a vaccumm and crushed the tank.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just a quick follup on my gas tank.
After poping the tank out and replacing the vent tubing I have had no more problems.
Anyone with a float stuck up against the filler tube needs to check the vent hose.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts