Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new winch, my old one is a viper max 3000lb and I broke it trying too pull a Cherokee out of a water hole. I was never terribly impressed with its power when I had to pull myself out of a nasty spot so my next one I am thinking 4K 0r 4500 assuming that will still fit on the internal mount. any specific suggestions? are the cheaper warn winches decent or should I look elsewhere in the sub $500 price point? wanting to stay with a synthetic line also.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
Summit Racing has a good selection. And you can convert any winch to rope, just be sure to change the roller fairlead to a hawse. Kits are available.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
958 Posts
You're going to get a different answer from everyone who responds. My advice would be to go with whichever winch has the highest reviews for the price range and specs you are looking at. Personally, I have the SuperATV 4500 synthetic. The winch is solid, but the dash and remote switches that come with it are both pretty cheezy. Already replaced the dash switch with a better one.

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
I am in the market for a new winch, my old one is a viper max 3000lb and I broke it trying too pull a Cherokee out of a water hole. I was never terribly impressed with its power when I had to pull myself out of a nasty spot so my next one I am thinking 4K 0r 4500 assuming that will still fit on the internal mount. any specific suggestions? are the cheaper warn winches decent or should I look elsewhere in the sub $500 price point? wanting to stay with a synthetic line also.
3000 pound winch isn’t really enough for a RZR. The rating in a winch is based on the last wind of the rope, so if you’re just pulling a short distance, the rating is way less.

We recommend 5000 pounds. There’s lots of 4000-4500 ones out there that people will rave about, but for the price difference, bigger is better.

·
Denver, CO - 303-400-0205
2,083 Posts
Yep. Viper 3000 lb with 4 layers of cable on the drum is only rated to pull 2040 lbs, and a Jeep cherokee weighs between 3700 and 4500 lbs depending on year. Nowhere near big enough for a UTV that is stuck, let alone a jeep.

For that matter, a viper 5000 lb winch is only rated at 3408 lbs of pulling power with 4 layers of cable on the drum.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where can I find those types of ratings? I am looking at Warn but just curious on the differences between their VRX and provantage lines.

**Edit**

Nevermind found the pull ratings in the specs book not exactly "advertised"

·
Denver, CO - 303-400-0205
2,083 Posts
where can I find those types of ratings? I am looking at Warn but just curious on the differences between their VRX and provantage lines.

**Edit**

Nevermind found the pull ratings in the specs book not exactly "advertised"
Standard in the industry. The rated pull is at the last layer of rope. Everyone rates the same.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I have a Summit Racing 3500 lb (house brand) and have never used it...

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dual purpose Hi-Lift jack and 150' of mule tape, 4 foot at a time baby! I don't run the rzr battery down but I seem to lose steam after awhile.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Warn ProVantage 4500-S mounted on an AtvGuru bumper. Personally, I would never want anything less than a 4500 lb., and prefer the easy access of the bumper mount.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My dual purpose Hi-Lift jack and 150' of mule tape, 4 foot at a time baby! I don't run the rzr battery down but I seem to lose steam after awhile.
Mule tape huh...So does that mean you are a fellow electrician?

Had never occurred to me to use mule tape for recovery I have a spool of 12K lb mule tape in my van I think I am going to put a piece in the rzr.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mule tape huh...So does that mean you are a fellow electrician?

Had never occurred to me to use mule tape for recovery I have a spool of 12K lb mule tape in my van I think I am going to put a piece in the rzr.
Yes, residential electrician for 25 years ,now retired. Mule tape is the best thing since sliced bread except when it comes to holding knots. I keep a hundred feet or so on all my rigs and r/v and 40ft in my hunting pack.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have a RED Winch ATOM. Not managed to fit it yet, but with the factory being 1/2hr down the road it made sense to buy from them and I'm mates with the owner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts