Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wore one of those on my skateboard in the 70's and still got concussions o_O. These things will go fast enough now to wear a proper helmet, the Pro-Tec would probably be fine for low speed stuff and for sure better than nothing...not sure it would be my choice for taking an 80 mph digger or if I were on fire.

I think roll bar padding that actually fit and didnt look like pipe insulation would be a good idea too. It needs to be soft enough to not hurt, then progressively get firmer..not easy to engineer in a 1/2 inch thick pad though.
I don't get too crazy when I drive with this helmet. If I leave the house to push it I'll grab a proper full face. The OP asked about recreational riding, I took that to mean cruising...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the bell srt modular helmet or the mx9 adventure. The srt is full face that has a flip up chin bar. Makes drinking or eating a snack possible with the helmet on. Also can flip it up to talk and see your face. Started using this helmet on my motor cycle. Works well for sxs also. Has a face shield as well as a built in sun shade.

Mx9 adventer is like a mx style helmet with a face shield. You can use goggles with it also. It is lighter than the srt modular for sure and a little cooler, temp wise, to wear.

I don't have a windshield yet so I use the srt modular the most right now because it is just so easy to use on forest service roads, drink, eat, talk and take photos without taking the helmet off every time. YMMV.

Johnxxx

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I don't get too crazy when I drive with this helmet. If I leave the house to push it I'll grab a proper full face. The OP asked about recreational riding, I took that to mean cruising...
Copy...I was just bustin your cajones 😎

I think the MX9 style with the shield seems like the best of both worlds, adding an air intake would make it even more versatile.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for all the great replies! I'm going to order s couple of helmets and see if I can come up with something to improve on whats currently available.

I did notice Bell offers cold weather kits for the adventure helmet and the Breath Box for the MX9, not a big deal in Az but it sounds like many of you ride chilly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was wearing a trials helmet but recently upgrade to a flip up, full face. The pluses of the trials helmet: light, well ventilated, can eat and drink on the move. The downsides: not full face protection, no dust protection, no rain protection (I hate wearing goggles). The pluses for the modular: flip down when cold, rainy, or dusty; flip up for more ventilation and to get a drink or snack. The minuses: weight! I got spoiled wearing that light trials helmet.
Jay

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Msr xpedition
Bell makes a XXX, maybe give it a try when you wear out the MSR.

I was wearing a trials helmet but recently upgrade to a flip up, full face. The pluses of the trials helmet: light, well ventilated, can eat and drink on the move.
You ride with the chin bar up on the modular helmet? It seems like the way the weight is distributed it would be sort of awkward. All of your reasoning makes sense for sure, but how much do you snack while riding that you need the modular helmet? I use sports bottles with bent straws in racecars along with pressurized hydration systems. Its always nicer to get a real drink rather than sucking through a tube.

My first choice is an open face for comfort, but the chances of taking a rock or other debris to the face is probably greater than banging your head...so they usually don't make sense unless for sure you wont be behind anyone.

I think we need an open face helmet with an invisible force field that will repel rocks, dust and roll cages.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think we need an open face helmet with an invisible force field that will repel rocks, dust and roll cages.
Sign us up for 3 of those !!!

We use various MX helmets in the Summer and CKX Titan helmets in the Winter.
All are equipped with Cardo Packtalk Bold comms.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I used to ride snowmobiles and Ill never forget how my life changed when the Ski Doo modular helmet was introduced. Having a built in face mask to vent breath out and a heated shield ended the constant fogging that was an issue when riding the in cold. Plus the built in sun shield that you could raise and lower as needed and being able to raise the front of the helmet up to talk during stops was nice. Now that I ride atv's/utv's I use a open face helmet with goggles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
...You ride with the chin bar up on the modular helmet? It seems like the way the weight is distributed it would be sort of awkward...how much do you snack while riding that you need the modular helmet?...
I do mostly ride with the chin bar up as I enjoy the maximum air flow. But for safety's sake, I'll try keeping the chin bar down more and just opening the shield. I noticed in Dakar some of the guys in the big trucks wear open face helmets. I guess it's because they are high enough to be out of harms way of flying objects and being speared by branches. All the other four wheel guys, who are closer to the ground, are wearing full face.
You are right, I don't snack when driving but drink frequently from one of those stainless tumblers I keep filled with ice water in the cup holder in front of the shifter. Polaris, in their wisdom has made it such that the contents stay icy cold while the outside is almost too hot to touch.;)
Another reason I went with modular is eye glasses. As I mentioned before, I don't like goggles. But, I can also put on my modular and take it off without removing my glasses, something I can't do with a full face. Finally, it's convenient to just flip the chin bar up when taking a short break.
Jay

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I ride with a Klim R1 fresh air helmet that has PCI coms installed. I use to always ride without a helmet as I have a windshield on my Turbo S. Once I installed an air pumper system on my machine and tried a forced air helmet I will not ride without one. Not getting dust in my eyes and having to wear a bunch of face covering is awesome. Plus one wipe across the face shield removes all the dust. Now I just need to convince the wife to wear one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
On my quad One Industries motocross style full face. Smashed my face in the 70's before they made full faced helmuts. Learned the hard way if it is not a full face it is only protecting half you head. Always laugh when I see the Harley guys wearing their little skull caps, why even bother...

Since we ride in the woods on the roads only with a top speed of usually 30 we don't wear them in the SxS.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bell makes a XXX, maybe give it a try when you wear out the MSR.

You ride with the chin bar up on the modular helmet? It seems like the way the weight is distributed it would be sort of awkward. All of your reasoning makes sense for sure, but how much do you snack while riding that you need the modular helmet? I use sports bottles with bent straws in racecars along with pressurized hydration systems. Its always nicer to get a real drink rather than sucking through a tube.

My first choice is an open face for comfort, but the chances of taking a rock or other debris to the face is probably greater than banging your head...so they usually don't make sense unless for sure you wont be behind anyone.

Wear out the msr lol .... rzr been broke all summer shocks blew out in front , waited 9 weeks for walker evans shocks, pulling engine now won't start. Bendix is bad.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wear out the msr lol .... rzr been broke all summer shocks blew out in front , waited 9 weeks for walker evans shocks, pulling engine now won't start. Bendix is bad.
Thats a bummer, hope you can it back together soon.

There's no clear favorite, lots variables in needs compared to motorcycles or cars. All good info though, thanks for all of the insight.

·
Registered
251 Posts
On my quad One Industries motocross style full face. Smashed my face in the 70's before they made full faced helmuts. Learned the hard way if it is not a full face it is only protecting half you head. Always laugh when I see the Harley guys wearing their little skull caps, why even bother...

Since we ride in the woods on the roads only with a top speed of usually 30 we don't wear them in the SxS.
I just got a Bell Scout Air for hot days. For sure, you don’t have face protection from rocks. But, you get side protection. In my opinion, you’re far more likely to need side protection than face protection in a properly equipped rzr. It would be a complete fluke for a rock to hit me in the face, since I don’t follow people closely, and am usually not in wide open enough areas to see oncoming traffic that can be moving very quickly. But flopping hard onto the side can definitely happen (and has happened to me, with damaging consequences). So, maybe I’m being biased by my own experiences. But I think with a properly caged machine and with a proper harness, the helmet is really only needed for the side protection.

edit—for the motorcycle or the quads, it’s always full face helmets.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thats a bummer, hope you can it back together soon.

There's no clear favorite, lots variables in needs compared to motorcycles or cars. All good info though, thanks for all of the insight.
Helmets are like pistols some like 1911 models and some like plastic..
Some like flintlocks or revolvers, fitment is really difficult big small , etc .
Biggest issue is seats are not adjustable for helmet and push on c4 c5 vertebrae. Headrest back 2 inches would be a blessing. Lower recline base helps but not enough. And if loose in seat you will bang head without helmet in my rig.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts