Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I see about everything from bike helmets, to dirt bike and open face to SA rated race helmets. I under stand race helmets and they for sure are the safest, I'm more interested in what you're using for recreational riding.

Registered
Please accept that head shape drives everything. In the helmet world there are two prevaent shapes. 1) Oval, and 2) Round. So what fits me will not fit somebody else the same. That said:

Street:
Arai Signet -X on the street. Oval fitment, best fitting helmet I've ever owned.

Sledding/Cold weather:
Doo BV2-S. Round. I had to move to a 3X to get it too fit. Not safe, for it doesn't fit well.

Offroad:
509 Altitude Carbon: semi oval. Fits well enough.

If I was doing anything over I'd buy the electric face shield on the BVS.

Finally, I keep the dirt/offroad helmet strapped in the pax seat and covered in a garbage bag at all times, but I've not worn it in some time. I do wear goggles 100% of the time.

Registered
Any Mx helmet that will fit speakers for comms.
I run goggles for day and night riding and go through a lot of lenses due to scratching and replacements are cheap, so full face helmets are out.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5
Please accept that head shape drives everything. In the helmet world there are two prevaent shapes. 1) Oval, and 2) Round. So what fits me will not fit somebody else the same. That said:

Street:
Arai Signet -X on the street. Oval fitment, best fitting helmet I've ever owned.
Full disclosure, I'm doing some half a$$ market research trying to get a better understanding for the UTV market in regards to safety equipment. I wound up on the forum becasue I recently picked up a XP4 Velocity. I understand the racing side better than the recreational side...so any insight is appreciated.

All true, fitment is usually pretty consistent through out the line of a particular brand, if you have an Arai head than you are usually safe with any Arai. I think Bell fits the majority of people well.

I looked at the BVS, are you more interested in the heated function or that its a moto helmet with a shield? Many of Dual Sport Helmets now have face shields.

Bell, Arai, HJC and others have full face dirt helmets with retractable shields, they seem like an obvious choice. You could even run it with an air intake for a pumper system.

Registered
Bell Qualifier Pumper helmet with intercom.. Got it with the pumper kit from Rugged Radios.In the dusty environment I ride in (Nevada desert) It's an absolute must...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Any Mx helmet that will fit speakers for comms.
I run goggles for day and night riding and go through a lot of lenses due to scratching and replacements are cheap, so full face helmets are out.
What Comms do you use?

Have you tried Plexus on your lens? Cleans well and ads a protective layer that will keep the dust and crud from sticking, reduces scratches as well. Meguires also has a product that's been around for years, originally for convertible top windows.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Bell Qualifier Pumper helmet with intercom.. Got it with the pumper kit from Rugged Radios.In the dusty environment I ride in (Nevada desert) It's an absolute must...
Thats a nice helmet..hows that shield hold up?

Where are you in Nv?

Registered
When we got side by sides we thought we did not need helmets. Then looked at how close our heads are to the very hard metal roll cages and had a second thought. Started full face, Can't talk well. Then fancy open face with flip up changeable shields. Now we have gone to the old tech open face, as light as we can get. Just over 2#, with a snap on flip up bubble shield. We like them better then any others. We really like the lighter helmet and the less strain on the neck with rough sand. Neck not sore at end of day or week of riding now. Also big plus is the flip up bubble shields are easy to find in many shades. Shield not dependent on helmet keep being made along with shields for when they need replacement. Shelds made to fit one model of helmet get very hard to find.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
Msr full face, sticks and eyeballs do not mix. Alaska silt blows in face to like sandblasting. Mud all over too.
MSR X Pedition?

When we got side by sides we thought we did not need helmets. Then looked at how close our heads are to the very hard metal roll cages and had a second thought. Started full face, Can't talk well. Then fancy open face with flip up changeable shields. Now we have gone to the old tech open face, as light as we can get.
You have an open face with a replaceable Bubble visor ? It came that way or you put it together? Sounds like a good solution.

I like open face for comfort, but catching a rock if you're behind someone will for sure wreck your day.

Registered
This style: Amazon.com: AFX FX-76 Helmet - Flag (X-Small) (White): Automotive

Dig around. There is more then one brand of the same design. We have one of both companies and they are high quality. The flip up and shield are now separate.

Reactions: JeffFurrier

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #14
Go it, thanks. I'm finding a bunch of helmet manufacturers I've never heard of, many service the snow mobile market.

I like the open with an attached flip up shield.

Registered
Shoei rf-1200 on the bike.

On the rzr: O鈥橬eil series 5 for me, 14 y.o., and wife. The 8 y.o. wears a Built, because it fit best.
I鈥檝e considered going to a Kask climbing helmet / hard hat for all 4 of us. The are not D.O.T. compliant, but not so worried about that. They are super lite weight and comfortable, even for the 8 y.o.

The best helmet is no good if you don鈥檛 wear it.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
Pro-tec Classic. It's extremely light, cool and will keep my head from knocking on the cage or a stray branch.
I wore one of those on my skateboard in the 70's and still got concussions o_O. These things will go fast enough now to wear a proper helmet, the Pro-Tec would probably be fine for low speed stuff and for sure better than nothing...not sure it would be my choice for taking an 80 mph digger or if I were on fire.

I think roll bar padding that actually fit and didnt look like pipe insulation would be a good idea too. It needs to be soft enough to not hurt, then progressively get firmer..not easy to engineer in a 1/2 inch thick pad though.

Registered
Msr xpedition Comes with visor and face shield bit tight at xxl but 3xxl really hard to find. 2 seater I hit head if not strapped in tight on roll bar.
Seat is pro armor And seat base Longhorns lower and recline. Moved head under bar.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts