Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I know I need to first rent both to compare the difference between a 2- and a 4-seater before I buy either. But in the meantime I thought I would ask the group about their differences. I’m thinking we should get a 4-seater so that we can take friends and grandchildren along. But how much of the fun factor will we be giving up with a longer wheelbase and 4 seats?
I am coming from riding dirt bikes, so am used to being able to move right along on jeep roads and even rocky stuff. What do you see as the differences in handling, high-centering, and other factors? Or in practicality will we be only using 2 seats 99.9% of the time.
Thanks for any insights,
Jay

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
On tight mountain trails, a 4-seater turns like a bus. Lots more 3 or even 4 point turns. Moab rocks and ledges, the longer wheelbase is more stable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I have had 4 two seaters before buying my first 4 seater last yr. I can see no negatives with the 4 seat and nothing but positives. Handles great, much better ride, and way more room.
I rarely have my rear seats in. I have Tusk cargo racks that mount in the rear seat positions and carry extra items strapped on the racks. Tools, parts, cooler, etc.
Should I need the seats, I pop out the racks and pop the seats in.
The 4 seater performs way better when rock crawling than the 2 seaters.
Of course I'm riding on the west coast where it is more wide open. Not sure how a 4 seater would do on very tight trails. But I find it way more nimble that I originally thought it would be.
The smoother ride alone is worth it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Your giving nothing up. 4 seaters are better in every way.
I mean really, that’s just a silly thing to say. This deliberation completely depends on how and where you ride. If you run open trails and big rock crawling then the 4-seat has definite advantages. If you like to run fast through tight, twisty, technical trails(me) then the 4-seat length is a huge disadvantage. I actually find myself envious of my buddy in his 1KS at times due to it’s shorter wheelbase. I once high-centered on a steep breakover that my buddy’s XC800 rolled right over. The extra wheel base can be a huge negative depending where you ride. No way I’d go any longer than the XP2. The new XP Pro is completely unappealing to me for that reason alone. I’ve actually been thinking a lot lately about trading in for a S1K due to wheelbase. We’ll see...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love my 4 seat 900 (2018) I’ve taken it on some crazy tight trails at a fairly fast speed. It takes a little bit to get the handling down but rarely do I need to back up to make a turn 60” wide is the way to go IMO. The long wheelbase makes for a nice ride. I have to admit the four seats are hardly ever full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
A 4 seater does EVERYTHING a 2 seater but does it easier. The ONLY advantage. a 2 seater has is a slightly tighter tithing radius.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Your giving nothing up. 4 seaters are better in every way.
I mean really, that’s just a silly thing to say. This deliberation completely depends on how and where you ride. If you run open trails and big rock crawling then the 4-seat has definite advantages. If you like to run fast through tight, twisty, technical trails(me) then the 4-seat length is a huge disadvantage. I actually find myself envious of my buddy in his 1KS at times due to it’s shorter wheelbase. I once high-centered on a steep breakover that my buddy’s XC800 rolled right over. The extra wheel base can be a huge negative depending where you ride. No way I’d go any longer than the XP2. The new XP Pro is completely unappealing to me for that reason alone. I’ve actually been thinking a lot lately about trading in for a S1K due to wheelbase. We’ll see...
I understand what your saying, and I realize my answer was short and to the point. . But I’m not running Moab. I am in West Virginia, I ride nothing but technical terrain, ups, downs, switch backs, hill climbs, creeks and yes a tremendous amount of tight woods. I still say unless I am GNCC racing, or short course the 4 seater is better in every way.

Now maybe your woods are different than mine and maybe more suited to smaller machines like an ATv, but the few times that is the case could never out weigh the long list if positives for me. As mentioned above, ride, stability, storage, versatility. There is just nothing better than a 4 seater... other than maybe a 5 seater!

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
A 4 seater does EVERYTHING a 2 seater but does it easier. The ONLY advantage. a 2 seater has is a slightly tighter tithing radius.
I guess you’ve never been to KOH. If 4 seaters worked better, you would see the top guys running them. They do use them for desert racing, but not for big rocks like Johnson Valley.

In Moab, 4 seaters work awesome on ledges. Big difference in a rock canyon and climbing a ledge.

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts
Hi,
I know I need to first rent both to compare the difference between a 2- and a 4-seater before I buy either. But in the meantime I thought I would ask the group about their differences. I’m thinking we should get a 4-seater so that we can take friends and grandchildren along. But how much of the fun factor will we be giving up with a longer wheelbase and 4 seats?
I am coming from riding dirt bikes, so am used to being able to move right along on jeep roads and even rocky stuff. What do you see as the differences in handling, high-centering, and other factors? Or in practicality will we be only using 2 seats 99.9% of the time.
Thanks for any insights,
Jay
We have a lot of customers that ride Colorado trails and Moab that have owned both. Let us know, and we can put you in touch with them to get feedback from people that ride the same trails you might be interested in.

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
I have both. My Wife has a 2 seater and I have the 4 seater. I haven’t came upon anything yet that the 2 seater can do that I can’t. Works wonderful either way

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had a 4-seat 800, went to a 2-seater when we bought the XP1K. If I had it to do over again, I would have bought the 4-seat 1000. 4-seater is more stable, longer wheelbase is a bit smoother, has more room for storage even if you don't often carry passengers. Having owned both, IMO the only advantage to the 2-seater (for my riding conditions, anyway) is a tighter turning radius - and slightly quicker handling, if that's your thing. But for the type of riding I do, there's nothing a 2-seater can do that a 4-seater can't.

The one and only thing I don't like about the 4-seater is that if you have your suspension sprung/set up for 2 riders, it goes to hell when you put 4 full-sized adults in there. Ground clearance is less, handling gets wallowy/squishy and you bottom out a lot more. If you spring it/set it up for 4 riders, it will be so stiff it will beat you to death when you only have two aboard. The logical solution is to set it up for which loads you carry most often, and accept the compromises when you go the other way.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I sold my xp1k4 for 2 reasons. Very seldom did I have anyone in the back seats and I wanted more room in our toyhauler for our Harley trike. We really wanted our grandkids to ride with us but they were always busy with school or work. We travel all over to ride and I never found a trail we couldn't do, we even did some unmarked 62" trails. It does take some time to learn how to drive it. They have very quick steering and I love the longer wheelbase. I would probably have bought the 900 4 but they didn't offer them when I bought the xp1k4. We've ridden Silverton/Lake City, South Park(kind of a bust), Taylor Park, Leadville, Moab, Black Hills (8089 from Dalton Lake to Flag Mountain is tough in a 2 seater but we made it), southern Wyoming, and the Mill Creek/ Mulberry Mountain area in Arkansas. I miss our 4 seater but the new XP Pro with 6" more wheelbase is definitely on my radar. It's your decision to make, you will just have to be honest with yourself about how many times you will have someone in the back seats.
Dwight

·
Registered
503 Posts
I guess you’ve never been to KOH. If 4 seaters worked better, you would see the top guys running them. They do use them for desert racing, but not for big rocks like Johnson Valley.

In Moab, 4 seaters work awesome on ledges. Big difference in a rock canyon and climbing a ledge.
Never been to KOH, but they run a lot of X3's which have a WB somewhere in the middle between an XPT2 and XPT4, so maybe there is something.

I also ride mostly WV and some TN. Sure I have to 3-point a turn here and there, but not really a bit issue. Do like the stability climbing hills, plus the ride is soooo much better.

I have been high-centered once going over a hill and had to winch out, but a good pair of skids helps tremendously. My next machine will also be a 4-seater(can you say XP Pro 4?), unless I can convince the wife an X3 is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

Nope never been but follow it closely as it's my favorite race. A lot of teams extend the wheel base of the 2 seaters ;) That's a different league completely. I'd love to run Johnson Valley but it's a bit too far for me :grin

In the rocks, big rocks, my experience is the 4 seater still dominates.

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts

Nope never been but follow it closely as it's my favorite race. A lot of teams extend the wheel base of the 2 seaters ;) That's a different league completely. I'd love to run Johnson Valley but it's a bit too far for me :grin

All the top guys are factory sponsored and are on stock wheelbase. My experience, having entered multiple cars every year in KOH except the first, long wheelbase and boulder canyons don’t play well together.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts

All the top guys are factory sponsored and are on stock wheelbase. My experience, having entered multiple cars every year in KOH except the first, long wheelbase and boulder canyons don’t play well together.
Man I'm so envious, that has got to be the ultimate race.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
XP PRO with 96 inch wheel base with tighter turning radius then the 2 seater ...POL Nailed it on that ,,,Best of both worlds !

·
Vendor
1,424 Posts

Fly out and be part of our pit crew. We always need help. Fly to Palm Springs and get a hotel in Yucca Valley. We will pick you up.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Nope never been but follow it closely as it's my favorite race. A lot of teams extend the wheel base of the 2 seaters
That's a different league completely. I'd love to run Johnson Valley but it's a bit too far for me

Fly out and be part of our pit crew. We always need help. Fly to Palm Springs and get a hotel in Yucca Valley. We will pick you up.
Wow, helluva offer and tempting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts