Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everybody using?

I read something on Facebook claiming that the factory Polaris oil isn't good and can lead to premature failure. The guy that shared it claimed he got the write up from Alba's website and they recommended using Maxima 10W-40. Anybody know if there is any truth to that? I couldn't find anything on their site about it.

Getting ready to do my second oil change and want to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
448 Posts
the polaris oil is junk.any synthetic oil from walmart is way better..i have buddies using mobil 1,rotella,amsoil,royal purple.in the turbo cars we use the mobil 1 5 40 diesel pickup oil..thats formulated for turbo applications ...all these oils stop the dry rattle..

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Alba won't run popo oil in their engines they recommend the maxima, but also only use the popo oil in the front diff and trans/rear end they have an oil change kit on thier site.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I am leaning towards Maxima SxS Synthetic 5w-50 but I will have to check out Joe Gibbs.

Do they make Mobile 1 in a 5w-50 or would I have to use 10w-50?

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
EVERY engine / build is unique. Do your homework, its WORTH the read, trust me. I can guarantee you will NOT think the same about OIL after reading!

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

With the Prostar motor and low pressure (tested and confirmed) at idle I gravitated towards Mobile 1 - 10/30 in the winter and Royal Purple XPR 20-50 (mandatory warm up), in the summer and 80+ degree ambient.

I have an XP900 buddies motor in pieces on my bench IMO due to low oil pressure at idle. On a hill climb, instant throttle release, and 0 (zero) oil pressure resulted in the hydraulic cam tensioner releasing and jumped timing. Broken timing gear, broken intake cam, bent valves, broken timing chain, stripped gears on crank, bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. = $1500 in parts alone!!! The Prostar motor has idle / oil-pressure issues, don't deny.

·
Lake Mead Explorer
338 Posts
I use new Amsoil 10W50 Oil.. It's great, finally an oil that will work in my RZR and well as KTM 500 and 990...

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Have you confirmed low oil pressure at idle on multiple motors Bryan?
Short answer, No, I've only owned 1 RZR.

Most people that actually put an oil pressure gauge in notice lower oil pressure at idle than they like. Its not unusually to see 5psi which is ok to some degree. The problem occurs when you run an engine HARD and then stop (let idle). This is common in the dunes as everyone like to "shoot" the hill then go stop at the top. It becomes an issue when engine is over 210 degrees. Oil viscosity is rated at 212 I believe and starts to thin significantly after that. A stock RZR seems to cool pretty good and most rarely see 210+ degrees. But if you do I would suggest driving around a little until it cools. The low oil pressure is directly related to the temperature.

Now turbo guys will see 210+ pretty easy on a hot day if you haven't upgraded radiator. My solution was to run an oil cooler with fan. Since oil is both a lubricant and coolant I was able to keep temps below 210 all the time AND maintain my idle oil pressure.

a 100-200 idle rpm increase is also enough to bring up the idle oil pressure. Z1's have similar issue and I have my Vipec programmed to increase idle rpm from 1400 to 1500 to 1600 to 1700 as the engine temp climbs from 180, 190, 200, 210.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Oil is like underwear, 1 name brand doesn't make everyone HAPPY ...

Opinions on the other hand are like AZZHOLES everyone has one ... :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
SO TRUE!!!

----------------

My approach was to try and educate myself on the matter and make my own decision and not just run brand / type X because "joe forum member" told me to.

Since brands are endless, a few highlights about oil I tell people are;
- oil FLOW is what lubricates, not oil pressure.
- Maintain 10psi / 1000 rpm.
(you still need some pressure)
- And 90% of engine wear occurs at startup.

After that what each brand puts in its oil gets VERY technical and most (including myself) can't comprehend what 99% of it does.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts