Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm looking for a little insight from the collective mind for a project I'm working on! :ride:

What types of things do you wish you knew when you first bought your machine? What would have helped you along the way to make you a more confident and capable owner, saved you embarrassment that one time, or kept you from hurting yourself, etc.?

For example, did you ever trailer your rzr improperly and almost lose it on the highway? :scared2:

Forget to secure your loading ramps and have them slide out? :doh:

Get stuck on the side of the trail for hours waiting for help, only to find out it was a basic fix? :|

Did you end up being "that guy" with no tools to fix your machine? :clap:

Did you snap a steel winch cable and almost kill your passenger? :surprise

Forget your spare belt at home and snap one on the trail? :banghead:

Did you waste a bunch of money on a useless upgrade? :sad:

Ask a silly question on the forums without using the search function? :brick:

Get a ticket for riding without a helmet in a new area? :cop2:

Spend the night in the bush because you got turned around on the trail and didn't have GPS only to find out you were 5 min from the trailhead? :coldsmilie:

Etc, etc...

Share your stories and insights, or knowledge that you have now that could have saved you some heartache and headache back when you were first starting out!

Thanks in advance for your input!

:bigpop:

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Most all of what you have listed and....

Don't go riding in the woods without a good hand saw minimum

Don't forget your snow shovel and recovery kit on a snow ride

Don't go on a high altitude ride without a warm coat ...even if its summer time and 80 deg when you leave at lower altitude ..

Don,t forget your GPS especially on night rides!!

Don't buy a new XPT and think you can clutch it well with large tires without doing Gears in the tranny ...money you shouldn't have to spend to make it work like earlier models did

Don't expect the stock suspension to work worth a shit

And never Piss into the wind!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Never drink downstream from the herd!!!!!!!

Oh, wait!!! I already knew that!!!LOL

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Put your money into stocks instead of buying the UTV. One you lose your shorts and the other you can buy more shorts.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You'll wish you knew it wasn't what you really wanted, (you thought it was when you bought it) so you start throwing Money at it to make it what you want & it doesn't seem to stop taking your Money :surprise
OK, maybe it's not that bad. They are a lot of Fun!:drive1:

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Don't let your kid do donuts in your new machine. Good way to lay it on it's side.

Don't think that staying stock is going to happen.

Friends you didn't think you had will all of a sudden want to go out riding with you.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't forget you engaged the aftermarket parking brake.

Went riding in January. Parking lot at the trail head was a sheet of ice. When done riding for the day my van was stuck from ice melt. Used the RZR to transfer sand from the trail to put under the tires of the van. Engaged parking brake while getting sand. Jumped back in the rzr and hit the throttle forgetting brake was engaged. Glazed the belt.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What types of things do you wish you knew when you first bought your machine? What would have helped you along the way to make you a more confident and capable owner, saved you embarrassment that one time, or kept you from hurting yourself, etc.?

That the stupid thing can catch on fire.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Are you blaming Polaris for this?

·
Registered
105 Posts

Are you blaming Polaris for this?
I blame bad design. But my pick-up truck, dump truck, tractor, lawn mowers, and everything else doesn't burst into flames when carrying an extra gas can. It is a crap design that even allows combustibles from the deck to be able to drip on something hot enough to set them on fire.

Go onto Polaris' web site and look at all of the recalls. Way, way, way too many are for fires.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The recalls have not been from people carrying fuel cans that leaked. If you spill fuel on any engine while it's running it will most likely catch fire. You could try suing Polaris and see how you do.

·
Registered
424 Posts

Anything can catch fire if you carry a leaky gas can directly above a hot engine. That's not Polaris' fault.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish I knew how important suspension and power are. I started with a rzr 570 thinking it's a rzr it has to be good and narrow enough for trails. Then went to a 1000s model which was significantly better. Did shock therapy springs and revalve and still wasn't enough for wanting to ride east coast trails and open land riding. Finally bought a 2017 polaris rzr xp turbo. Surpassed in all areas and best for both types of riding. Upgraded to dual rate eibach springs and even better ride. Wish I could have bought rzr turbo in beginning even though it wasn't available yet. Would have saved me alot of money lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts