Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello got my Cage wrx Cage kit in the mail on Monday and I am struggling to figure out what paint to use, I don't want to do powder coating cuz of the cost, What paint hold up well for you guy's? I may do powder coating in the future but don't want to do it then figure out I want to add another weld on accessory. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rustoleum rattle can has worked for us in the past . Same boat as you , new cages for our RS1’s , but could not justify powder coat costs . So we’ll try the bombcan and see what happens . Fully painted cage off vehicle , just doing touch up after install .
E979D003-7759-4165-BF39-349ED39DB246.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rustoleum rattle can has worked for us in the past . Same boat as you , new cages for our RS1’s , but could not justify powder coat costs . So we’ll try the bombcan and see what happens . Fully painted cage off vehicle , just doing touch up after install . View attachment 671928
What type of Rustoleum did you use? And did you just paint it or have you gone on any rides? Also your cage look's sweet!

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rustoleum rattle can has worked for us in the past . Same boat as you , new cages for our RS1’s , but could not justify powder coat costs . So we’ll try the bombcan and see what happens . Fully painted cage off vehicle , just doing touch up after install . View attachment 671928
And also did you use any primer? Or did you just scuff the surface and then cleaned the tube and spray paint it?

·
Registered
206 Posts
What type of Rustoleum did you use? And did you just paint it or have you gone on any rides? Also your cage look's sweet!
Cages were primed and painted 2 weeks ago , just installed the wife’s cage today , so no rides yet . I’m sure flying rocks will chip the paint , but I’m confident the Rustoleum will handle the trail branches we encounter . Thanks to Lonestar Racing for the great cages .
Here is what we used :
DC434209-D186-471C-B1EF-4B172A6D7E51.jpeg

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cages were primed and painted 2 weeks ago , just installed the wife’s cage today , so no rides yet . I’m sure flying rocks will chip the paint , but I’m confident the Rustoleum will handle the trail branches we encounter . Thanks to Lonestar Racing for the great cages .
Here is what we used : View attachment 671930
What primer did you use?

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And also is that charry red close to the Polaris red? I'm thinking of painting the cage red.

·
Registered
206 Posts
And also is that charry red close to the Polaris red? I'm thinking of painting the cage red.
The Rustoleum Cherry Red is close to the Polaris red . As is the Maui Blue close to Polaris blue . I primed the cages with Rustoleum sandable primer ( rattle can ) . I painted my cage Satin black and the aluminum roof in Cherry red ( I’ll post a picture tomorrow )

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Rustoleum Cherry Red is close to the Polaris red . As is the Maui Blue close to Polaris blue . I primed the cages with Rustoleum sandable primer ( rattle can ) . I painted my cage Satin black and the aluminum roof in Cherry red ( I’ll post a picture tomorrow )
Ok that would be awesome! I think I will go with what you used. We also have used rustoleum in the past and has held up well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rustoleum is a good product. I painted my Cagewrx Steel-it black. I have a black Turbo S though so it matches it pretty well. The reason I went with Steel-it is you can weld through it and it holds up great! I did just two coats and went through 3 cans on a 4 seater. With a new cage I figured I would change a few things so I didn't want to powder coat it for the time being.

·
Registered
679 Posts
That blue looks like it matches the sky blue almost perfect. Does it match that good in person?

·
Registered
786 Posts

I've used this on smaller pieces like a-arms and it's pretty awesome stuff.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm always up for a quality rattle can paint job but has powder coating really become that expensive? Granted, I haven't had anything done in 10 years but it used to be pretty dang cheap. Now chroming - that's another story. Used to be cheap but then went through the roof in Oregon because of regulations.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Rustoleum is a good product. I painted my Cagewrx Steel-it black. I have a black Turbo S though so it matches it pretty well. The reason I went with Steel-it is you can weld through it and it holds up great! I did just two coats and went through 3 cans on a 4 seater. With a new cage I figured I would change a few things so I didn't want to powder coat it for the time being.
One reason is cuz I wanted to paint it red, The second is cuz it is a bit pricy, I've looked at that stuff but it is like $30 a can vs the Rustoleum for $4. Did you use any primer or clear spray? Or did you just spray it on?

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm always up for a quality rattle can paint job but has powder coating really become that expensive? Granted, I haven't had anything done in 10 years but it used to be pretty dang cheap. Now chroming - that's another story. Used to be cheap but then went through the roof in Oregon because of regulations.
I think it would be like $500 - $600 to have it powder coated.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks great in person , really close match ! I caught this color in an older post where a member had painted his rims or beadlock rings Maui Blue and it looked like a good match .
Oh ya are you going to add a few coat's of clear spray? Or just the primer and the paint?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Oh ya are you going to add a few coat's of clear spray? Or just the primer and the paint?
No clear for us , just primer & paint . We’ll see how it holds up over time , may eventually go the route of Mattman06 as I am a fan of PPG paints . I just wanted to go the cheap/ somewhat easy route for now .
Here is the Rustoleum Cherry on my cage roof :
80A140AA-DE92-4543-8FF0-E8E7C10E5671.jpeg

1 - 20 of 51 Posts