Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer is having trouble getting the rzr 4 with eps in. He said he just took in a 2010 demo. They already have a couple of 2010 4's on the lot. Back to original question. When I hear demo I think of the dealership staff, service out at the dunes beating like a rented mule. They want to see what it can do and take. Is there anyone out there that works in this field that can tell me different?

·
Registered
11 Posts
not only the dealership staff, but also customers and local event sponsors/organizers use the demos. I'm not saying that all demos get beat, but I have seen demos returned in very bad shape.

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
usually a "demo" has never been registered of titled to anyone. once it's been registered it's just used.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I wouldn't even consider a demo machine again...I fell for it with my first RZR. I bought a demo machine because I wanted one when they first hit the market, and were damn near impossible to find. They had one sitting in the showroom all cleaned up with some nice wheels and tires, cargo box in the bed, windshield on the front and a few other small BS things. I paid sticker (for the base RZR) and got all of the accessories they had on it thrown in because it was a demo machine.

According to the salesman, they took it around to different dealerships and used it as a demo...and then it was returned to Polaris, everything was stripped down, gone over and all of the fenders were replaced, and I was basically buying a new machine with some miles on it (around 120). I figured what the heck, I can deal with a few miles on a brand new machine just for the accessories they were throwing in.

Well, that wasn't the case at all...this thing sure wasn't pulled apart and gone through like they said. Not long after I got it, I pulled the bed off and dropped the skidplate so I could install a snorkel kit and run the vent lines up higher. To my surprise, the undercarriage was PACKED full of mud, the bottom of the bed was packed with mud, there was a cell phone stuck in between the skid plate and the floor, and the fluids were all dirty. And shortly after that, I tried to install a rear windshield...but for some reason, it wouldn't fit. At closer inspection, I finally realized that the roll cage was tweaked about 2" out of whack...they dumped it on its side and bent it pretty good.

None of this stuff was visible on the show room at a glance...partly my fault for not going over it better beforehand, but the salesman totally BS'ed me and I fell for it. This thing was BEAT...but they sure shined everything up really good and made it seem like a great deal.

Needless to day, a demo machine is a bad idea IMO. These guys at the dealerships beat the hell out of them...and who can blame them, if somebody handed me a set of keys to a machine that nobody was responsible for and said "have fun", I would push it to its limits and beyond at every chance possible...and that is exactly what they do.

Being in Michigan, the dune season is pretty much over....so unless you really want one for winter riding, give it some time and find a new one. It isn't worth getting a beat machine to save a few bucks or some time waiting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I own a 2010 that was once a demo. I know the owner of the dealership that I got it from so he let me in on everything, mine was driven hard... Its been up to the seats in water, body panels are all scratched up, it had been rolled once (replaced the cage), all 4 rims are gouged from rocks... Etc. I'm not saying every demo is like this but there's a good chance it got beat on. The only reason I bought mine was because it was an amazing deal

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
their called domo'e for a reason as in demolition...lol but i have seen a few that were driven nicely..not easy but not hard

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't even consider a demo machine again...I fell for it with my first RZR. I bought a demo machine because I wanted one when they first hit the market, and were damn near impossible to find. They had one sitting in the showroom all cleaned up with some nice wheels and tires, cargo box in the bed, windshield on the front and a few other small BS things. I paid sticker (for the base RZR) and got all of the accessories they had on it thrown in because it was a demo machine.

According to the salesman, they took it around to different dealerships and used it as a demo...and then it was returned to Polaris, everything was stripped down, gone over and all of the fenders were replaced, and I was basically buying a new machine with some miles on it (around 120). I figured what the heck, I can deal with a few miles on a brand new machine just for the accessories they were throwing in.

Well, that wasn't the case at all...this thing sure wasn't pulled apart and gone through like they said. Not long after I got it, I pulled the bed off and dropped the skidplate so I could install a snorkel kit and run the vent lines up higher. To my surprise, the undercarriage was PACKED full of mud, the bottom of the bed was packed with mud, there was a cell phone stuck in between the skid plate and the floor, and the fluids were all dirty. And shortly after that, I tried to install a rear windshield...but for some reason, it wouldn't fit. At closer inspection, I finally realized that the roll cage was tweaked about 2" out of whack...they dumped it on its side and bent it pretty good.

None of this stuff was visible on the show room at a glance...partly my fault for not going over it better beforehand, but the salesman totally BS'ed me and I fell for it. This thing was BEAT...but they sure shined everything up really good and made it seem like a great deal.

Needless to day, a demo machine is a bad idea IMO. These guys at the dealerships beat the hell out of them...and who can blame them, if somebody handed me a set of keys to a machine that nobody was responsible for and said "have fun", I would push it to its limits and beyond at every chance possible...and that is exactly what they do.

Being in Michigan, the dune season is pretty much over....so unless you really want one for winter riding, give it some time and find a new one. It isn't worth getting a beat machine to save a few bucks or some time waiting.
I went to a dealership in west Michigan today to see the rzr 4 eps. Talking to the salesman he was saying how the staff went to silver lake with the can-ams and 2011 Polaris models. One of the sales guys went over one of the dune hills to fast but not fast enough. and the machine went head or heels. I get back and read your post and the post of others and yes i will wait. Thanks gents!
Also langford there is a 100 mile fall color ride in Indian river on October 16 starting in Alanson going to cross village and back. If you have ever been up that way you know the elevations. i think that would be a good ride.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I feel it all depends. My uncle owns a dealership and they brought out a 2010 S to use as a demo for a 4th of July party. It wasn't beat on (luckily due to how people get on the 4th) and was taken apart for detailing but this is only one case. His mechanic bought a demo out of Maryland for a great deal but this thing was junk. The owner's son had truely trashed this machine. i can only imagine what in the hell he did to it. I think it's luck of the draw and I would have to get a really good price to purchase one from a dealer I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i bought a 2010 orange madness s as a demo. it had 1 mile and 1 hour on it . it was a polaris rep that had it not a dealer. it looks brand new every where no mud nothing bent nothing even scratched. i think i got an extremly good deal on a demo.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought a 92 ford explorer demo once, bs'ed by the salesman into it. I went to change the oil in it a week after buying it and it still had the factory oil filter and oil(7500 miles) Found mud packed above the t-case and behind the receiver hitch assembly. Found CD's and trinkets underneath the rear seats. Lift used oil the whole time I had it(1.5years) Traded it off as soon as I had built some good equity in it! Local poopoo dealer has a 2011 rzr 4 demo with 1.2 hrs. for 14,500 OTD, seems to have been used around the local lot for demo's.

Brian

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Well I dont know how beat they get, but I do know they are bad luck. We bought a demo with 7 hrs on it. The second person that rented it from us, totaled it out!! :scared2: Besides that, we never had any trouble with it at all . It had 33 hrs on it when it was totaled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts