Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We go riding alot as a family and it can get real dusty at times so much that RZR's following will hold back for awhile and let the dust settle before proceeding. I have been up waiting a few times for it seemed like 5 minutes before I ever saw the next RZR. It got me thinking that it would be nice to have some type of car to car communications so we can let each other know where we are or if anything was to break down or have an accident. Is there anything out there that is affordable that can work like this? I am sure some race radios would work but they would also be very expensive. We need to outfit 3 RZR's. I use a Sena SMH10 bluetooth on my motorcycle but the reach is less than 100 yards. We need something capable of at least a half mile or so I would think or a mile or 5 would be even better. I have thought about maybe some of the FRS handheld radios with some in ear speakers that can be worn with earbuds but not sure how that would work distance wise. Anyone have any ideas what the best route to go would be?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
WELL i think you would want a Rugged radios car to car kit with headset. Coinsidently i have a set for sale in the classifieds but go to Rugged Radios website and see what will work best for your needs

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
We use UHF radios programmed to the frs frequencies. Range is 5-7 miles and can be bought for around $150 for each outfit.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Rugged is the route we went. They are forum vendors. Kevin is my go to guy there. Your looking at $500 and up depending...

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
HI LaCOFDFireman,

You are probably accustomed to top notch communication gear at your job.

We sell a lot of Headsets to fire depts too.

What you should get if you want the best value/durability is the Icom F3011 Portable VHF Radio. Icoms are considered the best in the Baja racing community.

It comes with a included drop-in rapid Intelli-Charger which is a $79.00value. The radio has the standard race frequency list loaded in with channels you can use too.

5 watt -16ch . for $239 . You can get a 3db gain antenna kit for your RZR for $ 64 that will make it talk a long way like 5-15 miles (3-5 with standard antenna). Good thing is we are right here local to you. Then later you can hook it up to our ELITE Bluetooth Intercom and make phone calls too. See our systems on the PCI website PCI Race Radios, Inc. - Communications, Navigation, Safety Equipment

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone thanks for the ideas. I would love to buy rugged but it's not in the budget. I am hoping to have something that I can use for 5 people and be in at under $1k. That includes 2 RZR's. We have an 800 "S" a 570 and a Pitster Pro 150. I would like to have something that we can use in all of these. I am thinking handheld will be the way to go. But with the handheld I would also like it to be able to have a PTT button and helmet compatible. We won't be wearing headsets. I have my kids wearing helmets always and I like to wear one also on occasion.
I actually live in Southern Utah but commute to Los Angeles to work for the Fire Department. Sweet commute of 370 miles... :rzrs:
So if anyone has or knows what I am looking for please let me know. Also if possible please provide links. Not really interested in the CB thing as I don't think you will get the desired range I am hoping for. I think the problem with the CB is the antenna install. Not sure how you would install an antenna on a RZR since they are mostly plastic and you need a metal surface plane for them to work good. If I am wrong I am all ears.. Tell me how you set yours up. Would love to see pics also of peoples systems and installs.. Thanks..

I know Rugged is the best way from eveything I have been reading but I don't have $3k to drop right now.. Maybe in the future...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hand helds won't do it. They are .5 watts max. Best you can hope for is 1/2 mile. I know they say 10-20-30 mile range but that's very exaggerated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If hand helds are not going to do it is there a mobile system out there that won't break the bank? Links, pics, installs please..

·
Registered
1,120 Posts

Here is what everyone around here runs. These are Kenwood UHF radios. Just like the ones used in the fire service. You can get a complete setup for around $150. So you could equip 4 vehicles for around $600. These use a 6 inch antenna that I mounted through my CB roof.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Here is what everyone around here runs. These are Kenwood UHF radios. Just like the ones used in the fire service. You can get a complete setup for around $150. So you could equip 4 vehicles for around $600. These use a 6 inch antenna that I mounted through my CB roof.

Pics of antenna.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Well, to answer your question....

The group of people that we ride with...... we just usually yell at each other, sometimes there is even sign language involved.

:rofl3:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Kenwood UHF

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine is a Kenwood TK880. I bought it off ebay used. Guy programmed it for free. It holds like 250 channels which is more than you will ever need. Programmed with the 22 GMRS and FRS frequencies in it. Same freqs that come in the handhelds you buy at Wal Mart.

The radio is 25 watt. 1 watt equals 1 mile unobstructed. Out in the woods your probably looking at 5 -10 miles max.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts