Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has had difficulty with the bridges at Wayne National with slightly wider tires. I ended up getting 26x9x14/26x11x14 MSA Motos. The front measures around 51.5" and rear around 53.25". I know some of the bridges were around tight corners and one IIRC is fairly long. I really didn't have any problem with my Grizzly at 49.5"

Sorry for the noob question, but I really don't want to plunge my new RZR off the side :D

Thanks for any help :beer3:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well? Did you fall off any bridges? I'm wondering the same thing....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After crossing the some of the bridges, you had to make sure you were perfectly square. The tires did hang over the sides on all of the bridges. Some of the bridges are at a 90 degree angle to the trail, which makes it even more difficult. Some of 'em will make your butt pucker.

There are some crossings cut through the creeks, but I'm sure the park rangers around there may have something to say about that.

Rumors are floating around that they will widen the bridges next season for side x sides because the workers repairing the trails use full size Rangers to do the work.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Can you clear 50" posts?"12 inch ITP Pro Mod's, 26 inch 9's and 11's ITP Bajacross "

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am 54" wide have not had any problems with the bridges, although........you just have to slow down and line your self up with bridge and take your time. I ride from New Straightsville to the Sycamore parking area.

·
Geezer with Joey
519 Posts
Can you clear 50" posts?"12 inch ITP Pro Mod's, 26 inch 9's and 11's ITP Bajacross "
Yeah, you just have to ease through them. There aren't too many of those thankfully.
So what is your rear width through 50" posts? Sorry I see now you posted your rear width is 53.25
as far as I know you are illegally riding those trails and may be the cause of them being closed. If I'm missing something tell me!

·
Registered
38 Posts
hi guys, im no a sideXside owner yet but im checking them out & trying to figure out what i need & what i can use in southern ohio (wayne,summerset,ect). how strict are they on the 50inch thing? if its only 50inch then that only leave the RZR as the only choice. i was checking out the RZRs & the rhinos as well but both are wider. I ride bikes down there & took my first test ride a couple weeks ago in a 450 & 700 rhino & a 1000 canam camander & i still need to drive a RZR to see how it compairs but i want to have places to drive whatever i get & not be limited.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The only Side by side that is permitted down at Wayne is the 50" RZR. I have posted information from the Forest Service below.

Managers of Ohio’s longest designated off-highway vehicle (OHV) trail system are giving the green light to one of the most popular OHVs on the market.

The Wayne National Forest is allowing the new Polaris RZR 50-inch wide vehicle to be used on its motorized trail system. However, the Polaris RZR-S model is not permitted, because it is over 50 inches wide.

The decision was reached after a recent field test of the RZR on the Monday Creek ATV Trail System near Nelsonville. Forest staff, representatives from American Motorcycle Association (AMA) and All-terrain Vehicle Association (ATVA), Polaris Industries, and other local ATV partners tested the vehicle.

Results from the field test found the RZR to have similar maneuverability on the trails as any traditional 50-inch wide ATV. It should be noted that because of the tight bridge width clearance of many of the Wayne’s trail bridges, riders should take extra precautions and “square up” the vehicle before crossing.

The public is allowed to use any ATV on the Forest’s designated motorized trail system as long as the vehicle complies with the maximum 50-inch width limit. The RZR is exactly 50-inch wide if equipped with stocked tires. However, a change to the tires or adding any after-market accessories that causes the vehicle to be wider than 50 inches is not allowed.

The Wayne’s trail system will be open for riding on Wednesday, April 15th. The Forest reminds riders to register their vehicle with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) and purchase a Wayne Trail Permit before riding the trails. Trail permits may be purchased at the Wayne National Forest Headquarter near Nelsonville, Ohio, at Forest Ranger District offices, or any of the 26 participating vendor locations. For a list of vendor locations, visit the Forest’s web site.

Wayne National Forest offers 121 miles of designated motorized trail system on the Athens & Ironton Ranger District. There are no designated motorized trails on the Forest’s Marietta Unit. Annually, more than 40,000 visitors experience the Forest trails.

For more information about recreation opportunities on the Wayne National Forest, visit the Forest’s web site at
Wayne National Forest - Home/rec.html or contact the following Forest District Offices: Athens – (740) 753-0101; Marietta – (740) 373-9055; Ironton – (740) 534-6500.

·
Registered
328 Posts
That is on its way one bridge at a time. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
69 Posts
are they giving out tickets for rzr's with aftermarket wheels and tires on them? cause it put it a little over the 50 inch limit.
I have not heard of tickets given out but its possible.
The bridges are set for 50" and you could easily fall off one. Some of the trail restrictions are made of boulders and gate posts. Very hard to fit though if you are over 50 inch. Also I had stock tires and rims on but aftermarket over fenders and banged those up getting through a gate opening.

I won't buy an annual pass again until they widen these areas and will spend my money out of state while riding in WV where rzr's are welcomed.
Also your passenger must have a WNF pass also......
just my .02

·
Registered
38 Posts
why would they require a passenger top have a pass? Its one per vehicle just like a quad. I read the info on the ohio national forestry web site & it clearly states that apv stickers/plates are required for UTVs but youd still need the wayne pass.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.