Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I noticed in one of @dmccurdy7 recent YouTube videos where everyone in his group crossed a substantial river at what looked like top speed. I took my windshield off as soon as I bought my RZR, and that water crossing technique would soak to the bone everyone in my car. I'm curious if that is the preferred way to cross major water to avoid stalling out. Or was it just for fun?
Thanks,
Jay

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
In fun factor fashion ...that's is a loaded question...windshield ...no windshield ??.... basically it revolves around temperature and how much you like or dis like your occupants ...LOL ...trust me it happens

Take this weekend for example ...her ..:mad:.... me .:unsure:.. So their we were day 1 ....A balmy 57 - 67 deg max, with 8 to 20 mph winds, just rained the night before , standing water on every turn...BLM ground so of course a good amount of cow shit on the trials as well ...Fresh ! :poop:... me being cooped up forever / RZR frustrated a little extra Pumped up ....

Seriously .... we did have a great time this weekend , but the water topic was very high on the bitch list ...like every other 5th turn or so ....and yes we have headsets and an intercom system...

Half the weekend I ran a full windshield ...and as usual ...I hated it , the last day I took it off and went with goggles only and it was perfect as always ...even if you hit a bad Rip Curl back splash ...
At least the BLM did not go C 19 crazy or was just slow reacting to the whole situation?
Either way they , didn't stop people from camping or recreating .

·
Registered
345 Posts
JH, I'm surprised there weren't more comments regarding your question, since it definitely comes up.

Those guys knew what they were getting into and were playing around. If they encountered that crossing for the first time, without seeing someone else going through it first , or knowing from experience, I would think the approach would be different. Charging into a hole like that uninformed could yield a big tipover boulder, or an extra deep drowning pool.

I have found that sometimes I gun it too much to make sure I get through, which pushes a wave up over the dash. It seems like a moderate speed prevents both.

Totally blasting into a pool like that can cause some problems with connectors and such. The water can be quite forceful.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If I know it and its summer I hit hard and it takes me back to when I was a kid and rode the Tidal Wave at Six Flags. Otherwise I use moderate throttle and try not to splash to much until I know whats below the water or its cold outside. I'm with Max H and despise a full windshield unless its freezing outside.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi,
I noticed in one of @dmccurdy7 recent YouTube videos where everyone in his group crossed a substantial river at what looked like top speed. I took my windshield off as soon as I bought my RZR, and that water crossing technique would soak to the bone everyone in my car. I'm curious if that is the preferred way to cross major water to avoid stalling out. Or was it just for fun?
Thanks,
Jay
Mostly fun but with snow run off the creek we crossed was 3+ feet deep. Going slow theres always a chance of belt slippage - a stalled vehicle in that deep of fast water isn't good to say the least. I think I only hit it doing 30-35mph, should have backed up further haha.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I always unbuckle my seat belt and take it slow on any substantial water crossing and especially if it's the first time across. I don't ever want to deal with trying to get out of a seat belt while upside down and under water.
Now if I know it well and know that it is reasonably safe I'll just leave it buckled and pick up the pace.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
On most trails I ride the water holes are pretty shallow. I try to go around most, but sometimes I don’t see them in time or get sick of slowing down and going around and just nut it and hydroplane across. But two weeks ago we were on new trails I have only ridden one other time a couple years ago. We had a three inch rain the week before, and holy crap did we find water!!! My buddies x3 got swamped twice to the top of the doors. And this was in the trails. Nasty stinky dirty ass water.. I spent as much time cleaning the inside as I did the outside. Sand everywhere!!!! YUCK!! I’m not a mud guy.

Reactions: Max H
1 - 7 of 7 Posts