Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on VP's web site & holy crap they have a lot of different fuels? What are your opinions on what I should be running in my 9-1,16 psi 900 xp @ sea level? Thanks, Troy

·
Registered
188 Posts
Probably the vp109 unleaded. I've been using sunoco 260gt plus in mine cause its half the price of vp here and its almost the exact same octane levels. Just run it a little rich to get the most out of it because its oxygenated.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Tom! Ya I know VP is expensive but that what my local petro company sales & its any easier write off!:rofl3:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ahh I got ya. Ya I don't have that luxury lol. Just curious did you have your ecm reflashed to take some timing out or are you still stock on the ecm ? I really wanna have this done but my money tree is getting bare so hopefully next spring.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't done the ecm yet, Randy wants me to but I'm already having lag issues with my 9-1 CR at the higher altitudes & feel like retarding the timing would make it worse! I might swap pistons after this season for a 10-1 CR & then I'll probably look into retarding the timing!

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
You say 9:1 @16 psi boost. Your effective comp ratio is 18.80
Anything over 18:1 effective compression ratio is considered high boost. Check your ecr here...
Boost Compression Ratio Calculator
I'd run at a minimum VP c16. Anything less and you are chancing a BIG problem imo.
Now in mile high Montrose Co, Gods country, you might get away with less octane, but not at sea level.

Godfather, I also run GT260plus, for years now, in my turbo RZr.
Very good fuel for moderate boost and being unleaded it saves our 02 sensor.
But, as you know, not for anyone running high boost. 02sensors($80) are cheap compared to detonated engines.

Sunoco 260GT plus:100mon/109ron=octane of 104,
VP 109 is 105 octane.
Neither are enough imo for high boost.
No currently made unleaded racing fuel is good enough for high boost.

jmo

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hmm thanks for the info allcool. My efc for 10 psi is 15.96 and i've been running 93 octane pump gas and 19.19 at 15 psi with the 260 gt plus guess I better reconsider my fuel choices before i'm buying new pistons or worse. Thanks again allcool you probably just saved me a real bad day !!! Do you think E85 is a safe option for 15 psi ?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome link Allcool, thanks!!! I always enjoy your posts lots if good info!!!
Looks like c16 if I'm going to run that much boost

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Hmm thanks for the info allcool. My efc for 10 psi is 15.96 and i've been running 93 octane pump gas and 19.19 at 15 psi with the 260 gt plus guess I better reconsider my fuel choices before i'm buying new pistons or worse. Thanks again allcool you probably just saved me a real bad day !!! Do you think E85 is a safe option for 15 psi ?
Not sure about the e85. Have very little experience with it. Would like to get more experience /info on it this year. But from what I've been told, it is at least as good as 110 octane leaded race fuel to stave off deto, maybe better.

Hey, you could always just cut down slightly the boost to 13psi, be at moderate boost ecr, and probably be ok with the 260gt+. Or dump in some real leaded high test for the high boost.

On a side note...
I know all the turbo kit makers are very competitive and advertise they can use pump fuel at low boost. Many are hesitant to advertise exactly what there pump gas boost should max out at. One person will say one thing, another person a different boost pressure. They have to say they can run pump gas to be competitive, and to do that and to stay safe they must be at low low boost.

While some say 10 psi is low boost, many variables like elevation, static cr, iat, timing curve, afr, etc... will define it more accurately imo. But as a ruff rule of thumb, anything over 15:1 ecr is considered moderate boost. And while its true, your engine might run ok on real 93 octane pump fuel at 16ecr, I guarantee, 1 bad tank of pump gas, that is <87 octane because it sat to long, or was 'mixed by mistake' at the stations tanks, or any of the other multitude of things that lower the octane of pump fuel, and you will have a very bad day.

With a stock NA oem motor, 87 octane or a bad tank of 93(<87) is no problem most of the time. For us turbo guys, its a big problem. We need the consistency of high grade fuel.
Pump gas is notorious for being not consistent or stable.
Thats why most automakers use knock sensors.
Just something to think about... have you ever heard your car with its knock sensor, knock or ping ? Probably not, thats because the knock sensors are so sensitive they pull timing before a ping becomes audible. And if you run real timing monitoring software you'll see most high performance turbo engines when run hard, are constantly pulling some timing intermittently, their knock sensors are hard at work protecting their engines from pump gas.

My experience has taught me to stay with moderate octane race fuels for moderate boost, and to stay way clear of any gas station pump gas.
Its all about being safe, and whats acceptable risk determined by each and every individual.

jmo

Awesome link Allcool, thanks!!! I always enjoy your posts lots if good info!!!
Looks like c16 if I'm going to run that much boost
You're welcome, my pleasure...

·
Registered
11 Posts
No currently made unleaded racing fuel is good enough for high boost.

jmo[/QUOTE]

Shell URT Advanced unleaded is more than adequate for this. I use it in my 1164 rwhp turbo C6 vette instead of C16.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting I'd never heard of Shell race fuel!
Welcome to the forum bachchannel

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Shell URT Advanced unleaded is more than adequate for this. I use it in my 1164 rwhp turbo C6 vette instead of C16.
I stand corrected. Thanks for showing it to me.

Although, its 110 octane will not support the boost that 117 octane C16 will. But it is unleaded, very nice.

Never heard of this fuel. And believe me I've looked for the highest octane unleaded available. 104-105 octane is the highest unleaded octane from Sunoco or VP, looks like I missed this Quality Shell fuel. How long has this Shell URT Advanced unleaded been available ? Maybe I better recheck Sunoco and VP sites too, times seem to be a changing...lol

Just looked at the shell race fuel site. No oxygen in it, but thats ok for turbos, we can always just turn up the boost for more oxygen. Very nice fuel, and its the highest octane of any unleaded I've seen. Awesome fuel...
115/105 = 110 octane. Very nice. I can see more boost in my future. Think I found my new fuel. Don't know where to get it yet since never seen any of my local distributors selling the Shell race fuel. But I will start looking in the Phx area. Whats it cost ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
:drive1:
I stand corrected. Thanks for showing it to me.

Although, its 110 octane will not support the boost that 117 octane C16 will. But it is unleaded, very nice.

Never heard of this fuel. And believe me I've looked for the highest octane unleaded available. 104-105 octane is the highest unleaded octane from Sunoco or VP, looks like I missed this Quality Shell fuel. How long has this Shell URT Advanced unleaded been available ? Maybe I better recheck Sunoco and VP sites too, times seem to be a changing...lol

Just looked at the shell race fuel site. No oxygen in it, but thats ok for turbos, we can always just turn up the boost for more oxygen. Very nice fuel, and its the highest octane of any unleaded I've seen. Awesome fuel...
115/105 = 110 octane. Very nice. I can see more boost in my future. Think I found my new fuel. Don't know where to get it yet since never seen any of my local distributors selling the Shell race fuel. But I will start looking in the Phx area. Whats it cost ?
The 110 octane rating is misleading - it performs better than that. Q16 will still make more power but urt will compare well with C16. Ha, don't spill any, it will melt your shoes. :scared2:
I just turboed my S and was going to use this and not shim the head but MCX claims no real detriment with the shim so went with their setup.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like $72 for a 5 gallon pale from hyperfuels, before shipping! My local petro wholesaler is a shell provider I'll be talking with them on Mon.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Q16 will still make more power but urt will compare well with C16. Ha, don't spill any, it will melt your shoes.
Looks like $72 for a 5 gallon pale from hyperfuels, before shipping! My local petro wholesaler is a shell provider I'll be talking with them on Mon.
After doing a little more research, this seems to be a specialty fuel with a very high motor octane # for unleaded, and packs the most btu per gallon of any unleaded, hands down. This is a power packed fuel.

In order to get the very high unleaded octane without lead, theses type fuels sometimes use additives that are more problematic them normal race fuels. Some will gel and turn bad if exposed to sun light. Some are so corrosive they will corrode/soften/melt many common fuel system materials. Some are very prone to absorbing water.

Not sure about this Shell fuel, except for what backchannel said
"will melt your shoes". :)
This fuel might not be compatible with some of the rubber or plastic parts of the RZR, or might be fine. Idk... Maybe backchannel can give us some more first hand knowledge of its use, and pros and cons...

It is good to have another no lead option.

jmo

·
Registered
653 Posts
Probably the vp109 unleaded. I've been using sunoco 260gt plus in mine cause its half the price of vp here and its almost the exact same octane levels. Just run it a little rich to get the most out of it because its oxygenated.
I seem to get better power with ms109/vp109. I have the same set up 9:1 15-18lbs boost. Vp110 is okay, but ruins my 02 sensors in a week. I've ran lots of hard miles with no problems. And lots of wheelies! I'm at 344 above sea level.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Q16 will still make more power but urt will compare well with C16. Ha, don't spill any, it will melt your shoes.
After doing a little more research, this seems to be a specialty fuel with a very high motor octane # for unleaded, and packs the most btu per gallon of any unleaded, hands down. This is a power packed fuel.

In order to get the very high unleaded octane without lead, theses type fuels sometimes use additives that are more problematic them normal race fuels. Some will gel and turn bad if exposed to sun light. Some are so corrosive they will corrode/soften/melt many common fuel system materials. Some are very prone to absorbing water.

Not sure about this Shell fuel, except for what backchannel said
"will melt your shoes". :)
This fuel might not be compatible with some of the rubber or plastic parts of the RZR, or might be fine. Idk... Maybe backchannel can give us some more first hand knowledge of its use, and pros and cons...

It is good to have another no lead option.

jmo
I see no downside to URT[ plus saves O2's]. The only way I would use leaded again is for the extra power that Q16 can offer. I believe Shell claims 2 yr shelf life for urt and I will use the same drum @50/50 premium for turbo etec this winter. :ride:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Decided to go with VP Motorsport 109, ordered a drum this morning! I'm going to drop my boost to 14 psi to stay on the safe side & ride the wheels off it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do any of you guys run AV gas in your turbo rzr? I only have experience with turbo two stroke snowmobiles, but that's all I run. It's alot cheaper than race gas.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts