Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AZ Pete
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Were taking two RZR's up to CO Labor Day weekend and I could use your suggestions.

Do we go to Silverton or Lake City? Alpine Trail area.

We plan on tent camping. Where is a good place to setup camp. I don't want to load anything until Monday and that will be to early.

Trail suggestions? Mature drivers, well the other guy is.

If anyone else is planning on being up there we would love to meet up and do a little trail blazing with you.

Thanks!

·
Registered
350 Posts
We did the Alpine Loop in 1994 in a Jeep. Awesome ride and awesome country to see.

We started in Silverton, then drove to Animas Forks.

There were a few section in a Jeep that meeting another vehicle on the shelf road really sucked. A RZR would be no big deal.

The two area I could recommend visiting if there are still there is the Rose Cabin, and the "town" of Carson. Living at that altitude at the turn of the century took very big balls.

Ruff

·
Registered
43 Posts
azpete - Spent 10 days riding there around the 4th of July. I would recommend you to start from the Silverton side. Camp at the old Eureka townsite about 8 miles outside of Silverton. No cost and a nice area. From there it is only about 7 miles to Animas Forks. The Cinnamon Pass leg of the Alpine Loop starts at Animas Forks and the Engineer Pass leg is only 4 or 5 miles further up the trail. You can do either one first and come back the other. I would suggest doing Engineer to Lake City and Cinnamon back. Remember that the Hinsdale County Sheriff and Lake City PD won't ticket you for riding the streets but the state cops will on Hwy 149 which you use between Lake City and the road to Cinnamon Pass. Don't Forget the $25 Colorado permit sticker. My Rzr is registered in AZ, primarily off-road, but you still need their sticker. Here is a good book to get to see a bunch of rides in that area including the Alpine Loop:

ATV Trails Guide Colorado Silverton, Ouray, Lake City, Telluride [978-1-934838-03-7] - $19.95 : FunTreks Guidebooks

·
AZ Pete
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been reading all the old post and writing down all the info I could find. The one thing I didn't find was a good camp site. Thanks to rayb now I have one.

I've driven through on pavement a dozen or more times and told myself I would get back in there one day. Can't wait.

I have no problems with buying CO tags it keeps the trails open. While I'm there I hope to pick up a good map as well. I'll head down to Barnes and Noble and see if I can find the ATV Trails Guide listed above too.

We have the AZ motorcycle plates with off-road tags on both RZR's. They're street legal in AZ but who knows what another state would do. I won't push it too far and I know to stay out of Silverton.

Thanks much, Matt

·
AZ Pete
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:rofl3:ah hell I ordered two books, Silverton & Moab. Planning ahead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts