Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Xp1000 2015 2,200 miles

Curious if someone could point me into the right direction. Just checked valve lash because engine is hard to startup when cold. Have to hold throttle a little for like 30 seconds. All intake would not take smallest feeler gauge. All exhaust showed .007 - .008. I know these are not adjustable shims, have to replace whole buckets =lame! My question is would I be better off purchasing a whole under bucket kit with shims $400.... or can I use what I got and make it work ? And how ? And what is the specs for my year ?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
21 Posts
Lash not your cold start problem. I do not have my manual in front of me but yours could be a tad tight. On mine I just replaced the buckets that needed adjustment, got to pull the cams either way. Max

·
Super Moderator
4,278 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2014 XP100 at 1600 miles with hard starting plus some backfire when lifting from full throttle,
My first thought was to check valve lash
All measurements were tight,
I set valve lash to;
EXHAUST .015 .014 .014 .014 INTAKE .009 .008 .009 .008
Setting valve lash helped however it didn't fix it completely,
I still thought I was a bit lean so I installed a Power Commander V,
I added fuel at zero throttle to help starting and I added fuel at full throttle to help with what I perceived was a lean condition when lifting from full throttle.
Problem solved.
Now 3 1/2 years and 3400 miles later,
No problems, she runs beautiful.

·
The Lone Rzr
2,219 Posts
I had a 900 with the same issue.
Ran fine in warmer temps but very hard to start in colder weather
All my intakes were zero and even negative lash. Exhaust were good
It's not difficult to measure and come up with the right bucket as long as you have a little lash. If there is nothing then it's trial and error the first time or just go with the bucket that will give you the most clearance.
Even though I had a shim kit I still swapped shims around from other valves to make it work

Check your filter system. My 900 had the air box that wouldn't seal properly and both intake manifolds were warped so I got a lot of dust in the motor.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I assume you meant the intakes were so tight you can not insert a gauge of even the thinnest gauge. That is a way more than a TAD tight. They need to be corrected to start with.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dajo,

Yes that is exactly what I said. I’m going to pull cams tonight and see what buckets are already in there, so I have a starting point.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem fixed!

Did valve adjustment to one of four Polaris’s recommended valve settings. Called 10 different Polaris dealers almost everyone gave me different numbers .

·
The Lone Rzr
2,219 Posts
Glad you got it fixed
So it solved your cold start problem?
What do you mean one of four recommended polaris settings and why call 10 different polaris dealers?
Did you use new camshaft sprocket bolts?
These are your settings,
ValveClearance(Intake) 0.005-0.007″(0.125-0.175mm) ValveClearance(Exhaust) 0.009-0.011″(0.229-0.275mm

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes sorry didn’t go into detail. Bouncing new born son ok knee, wanted to at least get a sentence in lol. Anyway YES cold start problem fixed from doing valve adjustment. And that was the specs I went to .006 intake and .012 exhaust. Polaris says in book .006 intake exhaust .007 then couple
Pages farther say .006 intake .012 exhaust. So I called multiple dealers asking for the correct specs because of my faulty book. Not only did I get different answers people wanted to charge me for looking up the correct numbers. Bottom line problem solved. And I put new camshaft sprocket bolts in. Why ?

·
The Lone Rzr
2,219 Posts
Just making sure
Not sure how critical the new bolts are but most don't read the service manual
Glad you followed it and made it right
All done while bouncing a new born.
Congrats on both

·
UTV Service
26 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2014 XP100 at 1600 miles with hard starting plus some backfire when lifting from full throttle,
My first thought was to check valve lash
All measurements were tight,
I set valve lash to;
EXHAUST .015 .014 .014 .014 INTAKE .009 .008 .009 .008
Setting valve lash helped however it didn't fix it completely,
I still thought I was a bit lean so I installed a Power Commander V,
I added fuel at zero throttle to help starting and I added fuel at full throttle to help with what I perceived was a lean condition when lifting from full throttle.
Problem solved.
Now 3 1/2 years and 3400 miles later,
No problems, she runs beautiful.
Hi Gregg,

How hard is it to set the fuel trim with the Power Commander V? I am having the same problem with a 2017 Polaris General and I have done everything including valve adjust and fuel pressure testing, changing out T-Map sensor to try with no change it is hard cold starting and I am convinced not enough fuel when starting cold. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
4,278 Posts
Hi Gregg,

How hard is it to set the fuel trim with the Power Commander V? I am having the same problem with a 2017 Polaris General and I have done everything including valve adjust and fuel pressure testing, changing out T-Map sensor to try with no change it is hard cold starting and I am convinced not enough fuel when starting cold. Thanks in advance
My buddy Ken did it, the Power Commander only works with Windows, I have a Mac.
Watching Ken, once you understand the program it took Ken minutes t complete the changes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts