Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 rzr, just noticed oil around the valve cover gasket area. It doesn't appear to be leaking all the way around the vlave cover, only along the area just above the exhaust manifold. The rzr has about 1600 miles on it. Has anyone had this problem before? Any help would be aprreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
41,512 Posts
I have an 08 rzr, just noticed oil around the valve cover gasket area. It doesn't appear to be leaking all the way around the vlave cover, only along the area just above the exhaust manifold. The rzr has about 1600 miles on it. Has anyone had this problem before? Any help would be aprreciated.

Thanks
Remove the valve cover, clean the top of the head and bottom of the valve cover, replace the o-ring seal, bolt it back on...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i did recently cut away the slit in the crankcase vent line when i snorkled. i was told that the slit was to help with freezing conditions. since i'm from the south, i didn't worry about this too much and done away with the slit to prevent water entry. should i install a vent line in place of the "former" slit?

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
Yes, the slit in the breather hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner box is OEM.

It was put there to assure in freezing conditions the hose didn't get blocked by ice down by the air cleaner. If it did, then crankcase pressure would build up and start blowing oil by seals and perhaps damaging some.

With the slit in the hose, if the hose freezed, the crankcase pressure will be vented out the slit.

The slit is made with something very thin and sharp. I think if you went under water, none would get in through the slit.

I replaced mine some time ago and the new hose came with a sewn heat shield over the hose...so you didn't even know the slit was there.

So if you live in the South and never see freezing conditions...not to worry. Those of us up in the rockies like my home state of Colorado...one never knows...so mine has the slit.

Pirate

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.