Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like there is going to be a 2 mile rally course race at the dunes, this is gonna be fun to watch!!

·
Vendor
1,550 Posts
I sure hope it’s better than the disaster they just put on in Sturgis. Total of 77 registered attendees.

Worse event I’ve ever been to.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really?? No way I figured sturgis was gonna be huge I planned on going next year. Tell me more about it. My friends said last year the Oklahoma utv takeover was crazy busy looks like they have also more planned for this year

·
Vendor
1,550 Posts
Really?? No way I figured sturgis was gonna be huge I planned on going next year. Tell me more about it. My friends said last year the Oklahoma utv takeover was crazy busy looks like they have also more planned for this year
We were told it was going to be a large event, so we signed up, along with 37 other companies to be vendors.

After set up day, we all literally sat around and saw no one. I went and checked with the lady handling registrations and found out only 77 people actually signed up.

Lots of events scheduled and the only participants, were mostly vendors since they had nothing else to do.

The vendor next to us drove from St George Utah, and he sold two hats all week for $30.

UTV Takeover came up to all of us the last day, and promised to call us the next week and give us special pricing to come to Waynoka. Never heard from him.

Posted the fact on their Facebook page that there were only 77 attendees and it was promptly deleted.

When Al McBeth did his attempted record jump, there were maybe 50-60 people watching.

I know the event in Oregon is very successful and hopefully Waynoka will be too.

Personally, I don’t see Sturgis ever being much. Too far out, and Full Throttle could care less about anything other than the bike rally. The UTV event was just an attempt to fill a few spots in the campground since they already had staff to prepare for the bike rally.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that info. I’ve rode to sturgis twice on the hog and man that’s a lot of people I could see where the motorcycle rally would drown out UTV takeover, maybe they should move the dates where they don’t interfere.. idk just a suggestion. But that’s some damn pretty country up there compared to Kansas an I’d love to go rip around in the black hills, Is waynoka a long drive for you?

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Man that's a bummer about the SD event, we thought about going as we've been there 3 times on a bike. :-(

On a positive note: UTV Takeover Little Sahara, Waynoka, Oklahoma 2018 was a great time!!! Well ran, organized, awesome people!!! I purchased my camp spot the day I new the 2019 date. Stuff to do every night and every day. All well attended by hundreds if not more people.
I don't know how many people were on the Fri and Sat night rides but I'd never seen that many, it was epic!!!
I don't remember about the 1st day (A wednesday) as we were just getting in along with others. It was fun and really looking forward to this years event, so glad the organizers are bringing it back!! Here's a couple vids, you can see all the people. From everything I'm reading locally around KS, OK, Ark, people are all looking forward to it again. Come on down!!!! :grin

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I went once and will never do that again. You really can not ride because there are just to many crazy people who do not watch out for others.

I also understand that this is one of the only places to ride in this area and I am from a different part of the country so take that for what its worth.

This is just my opinion of course.
:|

·
Morris Racing #711
473 Posts
I sure hope it’s better than the disaster they just put on in Sturgis. Total of 77 registered attendees.

Worse event I’ve ever been to.
Yeah I kind of figured the Sturgis one would be a bust when I saw how much they were charging for camp spots, it was outrageous. I wanted to go but wasn't going to pay that much for camping. That's a bummer it turned out that way too, it had potential to be an awesome event.

I'll be at UTV Takeover in September though, our group camps down by south entrance just past the south bath house. If you see me stop by and watch for me in the sand drags. I might run the short course and rally course races too but not sure yet. I'll be showing up set up for the drags and we'll see if I feel like changing setups to do the others or not.

·
Morris Racing #711
473 Posts
Since UTV Takeover is just about a week away I'm reviving this... Post up if you'll be there, maybe a group of us from the forums can get together for a ride during the event at some point.

PM me for my number too if you'll be there I always enjoy meeting people who like to do the same stuff I do

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I went once and will never do that again. You really can not ride because there are just to many crazy people who do not watch out for others.

I also understand that this is one of the only places to ride in this area and I am from a different part of the country so take that for what its worth.

This is just my opinion of course.
:|
It does get busy during the day, watch out!. We do our fast dunning at night and travel in "Dune trains" and most do. Everybody is lit up with lights and whips and seams safer to me. Everybody be safe and have fun!!
Keep in mind also that the law will check your ride for alcohol when going through either the north or south gate.

·
Morris Racing #711
473 Posts
We had a blast at UTV Takeover this year, I hope everyone that went enjoyed it and had a safe trip. I will say I felt like their organizing on some things could have been better but overall it was a good time.

I was mainly looking to race in the sxs drags but decided to run the short course event for fun (why not, right?) and it was a blast. If it wasn't for blowing the tire off the bead in the semifinal round I might have made the finals, totally my fault I wasn't even thinking about my air pressure and was running 6psi in the rears, if I had aired up to 10 I might have kept that tire on but it was still fun and I'll be looking forward to trying again next year. I had another issue in the drags and overheated after a few runs, I'm thinking the t-stat or the water pump failed on me. I'll be tearing things apart this week to figure it out, hopefully I can get it figured out in time to take it to Racetober with the SXSBlog guys this weekend. So to sum it all up I think I ended up taking 4th in both events, not the results I wanted in the drags but had fun participating in both and did way better in short course than I expected. I'll be back next year

I highly encourage anyone who goes to events like this in the future to participate in the events, it doesn't matter if you have the best/fastest machine out there its about having fun. The events are free to do and are a blast, plus you never know how things will turn out. I went into the short course race expecting to get beat early and ended up doing well so anything is possible. Another point to think about too is the more people that participate the more they will break them up into different classes for racing, for example in the drags we had enough guys who didn't have built motors sign up so we split the classes to have an unlimited class for those 400+ hp machines to race and a class for the rest of us to be competitive together. Just something to think about if you're worried about racing those guys and don't sign up because of it...

Here's a cool pic they got of me during the short course race, hopefully I'll have some more after the photographers get a chance to go through all of the pictures and can send me some

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We also had a great time at UTV takeover!! I watched you race the short course, my RZR is even in that pic. All the way on the left, flag zip tied to roof for shade. Lol, you ran it hard man. Awesome job, We will definitely be back next year!! And you said racetober with the SXS blog guys, holy sh!t that’s awesome I’m a huge fan I’ve seen all their videos an been watching for awhile

1 - 20 of 26 Posts