Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone......I am a fellow enthusiast of the sport like everybody else here on the forum and look forward to sharing information and ideas with each other on how to improve our ever growing sport and to make it a more enjoyable experience in the process.

I am actually not a business at this time but thru my own experiences have found that my SXS squeaks and creaks way to much for my liking. So I started looking into where all of this noise was coming from and found that the majority of it was coming from the suspension and the shocks.

My background is in mechanical engineering and I have an extensive amount of experience in dealing with polymer elastomers and rubber compounds etc.....where am I going with all of this? In short, the stock o-rings used on many of the RZR model shocks (FOX and Walker Evans) to keep dirt and water out of the spherical bearings are made out of Nitrile (Buna-N) rubber.

You ask what is wrong with that? Well...nothing honestly if all you are trying to do is keep water from leaking out of your garden hose at home.

Your shock absorbers are subjected to a lot of different environmental conditions such as excessive heat from the engine or extreme cold air temperatures for you die-hard riders. There is also mud, water, sand and anything else you could imagine that we drive in, over, under, or around. Then you have to also consider what we use to wash off our toys when we are done showing how awesome they are. We use degreasers, harsh chemicals and detergents as well as pressurized water....If that isn't enough, than take a look even closer as to what is behind the o-ring.....hopefully there is some grease behind them which is there to lubricate the spherical bearings. Grease is grease right? WRONG....there are so many different types of greases and lubricants available today and most of us have no idea what is in it or if it is even compatible with what we are using it on.

So on to my point....what can we do to stop that annoying squeaking coming form our shocks??? The first thing you need to do is lubricate them. The squeaks will only go away if the spherical bearings are lubricated with a clean lubricant. The problem is how do we keep the grease in and all of the elements out?

You ditch the cheap Nitrile rubber o-rings and upgrade to a much better material such as Silicone or even Fluorocarbon (Viton®).

Here is a summary of the different compounds as a comparison. It is clear to see that what comes on your vehicle right off of the showroom floor is far from the best option available.

1. Nitrile (Buna-N) O-rings - These are 70-durometer (black in color) Nitrile O-rings. Able to withstand temperatures ranging from -30 to +200°F. These are basically the stock O-rings and are your basic Nitrile rubber material. There are 2 factors you really need to consider when using this material. One is the temperature range. At only +200°F, you are pushing these to their operating limits and at the upper range they will become very soft and actually absorbent allowing water and mud to be wicked into the rubber and into the inner spherical bearing area. The second factor is this compounds lack of compatibility to most of the chemicals and additives found in many of the greases and lubricants available today. They will break down quickly and lose there elasticity and become softer or even dry and brittle rendering them ineffective against stopping water and contaminants from entering the bearing area. You most likely notice the black color of your grease when you remove the shock for servicing. This is actually the rubber breaking down and dissolving into the grease (not good).

2. Silicone O-rings - These are also 70-durometer (red in color) Silicone O-rings. Able to withstand temperatures ranging from -80 to +300°F. These are a major step up from the standard Nitrile rubber O-rings. They offer 260% lower and 150% higher temperature range than the Nitrile O-rings. This is especially important on the rear shocks due to the excessive heat they are subjected too. Although more compatible than Nitrile rubber, there are still a few lubricants that they are not compatible with so I would recommend a good quality marine grade wheel bearing/hub grease.

3. Fluorocarbon (*Viton®) O-rings - These are 75-durometer Fluorocarbon (FKM) or better known as Viton® O-rings. (Black or brown in color) They offer excellent resistance to chemicals and a wider range of temperatures. These are suitable for applications ranging from -10 to 450°F. These are also a major step up from the standard Nitrile rubber O-rings. They can withstand 225% higher temperatures than the Nitrile O-rings and 150% higher than the Silicone O-rings. They do not do as well in extreme cold conditions so if you intend to ride in the winter months at temperatures below 0°F these may not be the O-rings for you. The Viton® rubber is compatible with just about every lubricant that I can find.

I have sold hundreds of sets of these to Maverick and Commander owners with amazing success. I was asked multiple times if I had them for the Polaris RZR's too so I did my homework and now offer them for the RZR's as well. I have sold a dozen or so sets to forum members here on the Polaris RZR Forum in the past few weeks and have reported the same positive results.

My conclusion thus far is that the best all around material based on price and effectiveness is the Silicone O-rings. The reason is they are about 5X cheaper than the Viton® O-rings and are more than capable of withstanding the temperatures they are subjected to on the rear of the vehicle at a rated +300°F and can also be used in extreme cold temperatures as well without becoming hard and losing its pliability.

I am offering full replacement sets in both Silicone or Fluorocarbon (Viton®). If you are interested in a set for your machine, please send me a PM with you year, Make and Model so I can make sure you receive the correct sizes as there are quite a few different ones used.

1. Silicone O-rings - $20.00 for a full set.

2. Fluorocarbon (Viton®) O-rings - $45.95 for a full set.

Shipping is a flat rate $5.95 anywhere in the U.S.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for the interest everyone.....all orders have shipped. Plenty more in stock ready to ship.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Weekend special ***free shipping***

As the title says....FREE SHIPPING (U.S. only) all weekend. All orders received by midnight on Sunday will receive free shipping....

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are they easily changed and how many are required for each shock. Not a mechanic, by any stretch of the imagination. Thank you

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can remove the shock your good to go, you need 4 per shock.
yes, very easy if you can jack up the machine to take the load off of the shock and then unbolt the shock to get access to them....
Are they easily changed and how many are required for each shock. Not a mechanic, by any stretch of the imagination. Thank you
4 per shock unless you have a "S" model where the front shocks do not have them...shoot me a PM if your interested in picking up a set....free shipping this weekend only...

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Just got done doing the 4 seat spring swap on my 2 seater XP1K. Lubed up the spherical bearings on the shocks and installed a set of your silicone o-rings at the same time. Everything fit nicely. Looking forward to a nice quiet ride! :)

Thanks for a good product! :thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got done doing the 4 seat spring swap on my 2 seater XP1K. Lubed up the spherical bearings on the shocks and installed a set of your silicone o-rings at the same time. Everything fit nicely. Looking forward to a nice quiet ride! :)

Thanks for a good product! :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback...glad I could help you out!

·
Addicted
3,657 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I use anti seize. Lots of people will tell you not to but I have had excellent with it. To each there own. :)

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any reason NOT to use anti-seize on the shock ends? Also, is green grease compatible with the silicone o-rings? Green Grease | The Best Grease Money Can Buy!

Interested in a set for my 12' xp900.
Yes, the Green Grease is fully compatible with the Silicone o-rings. You can use anti seize and it will work but well but it is not waterproof so over time it can absorb water and contaminate the spherical bearings whereas a synthetic waterproof grease will not. If you want a set, just PM me your email address and I will send you an invoice for a complete set.

I use anti seize. Lots of people will tell you not to but I have had excellent with it. To each there own. :)

see my comments above...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All orders received have shipped!

If your interested in a set...shoot me a PM. Fast 2-3 day shipping.....

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is needed for RZR4 shocks?

Steve
Steve,

A full set of 16 will take care of all 4 shocks. If your interested, I just need to know if you want the Silicone or Viton o-rings. PM me you email address and what kind you want and I will get you set up.

Heavy

1 - 20 of 102 Posts