Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Crash!
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddy ordered uni-filters for our XP’s from the same dealer on the same day 2 weeks ago. we got them last Thursday and put them in for a poker run this past Saturday. As we were oiling them we noticed that one had a foam ring around it and the other one did not. Same part number on the filter and the bag on both filters. We took a tape measure and dial caliper to them and the stock filters and the one without the foam ring was exactly the same size as the OEM filter. I put that one in mine and he ran the one with the foam, it was a little tricky to get it in the box but we got it. So my first question is what’s up with them being different with the same P/N? And second did anyone else feel it actually hurt performance? Me and him both felt it hurt our performance.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I had a k and n filter after pulling it off to inspect for dirt passing through, there was a small amount of dust past the filter I removed the k and n and bought an uni. The power difference is noticeable but not at the cost for a new engine I would love to run the k and n, but I would rather be safe then sorry. The reason why you and your buddy got different packages is probably do to that the outerwear foam cover with the uni is a new thing and your retailer still had the old packaging.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
It would appear that UNI updated the part. All Uni's that I have on the shelf now have the foam seal. The first few batches did not.

Nate
Alba Racing

·
Crash!
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I will keep the UNI in there for dust protection and economics. You couldn’t pay me to run a K&N filter in anything. Just wanted to see if others were seeing a little loss in power. And I assume that the filter in mine without the outer foam ring is still fine right?

@boostcrazy do you have a P/N for those filters and do they just slip right over the intake trumpets?

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
"As we were oiling them" ... And second did anyone else feel it actually hurt performance? Me and him both felt it hurt our performance.
Make sure you do not over oil a foam or K&N filter, it will actually clog it up until the engine pulls some of the oil through filter.

Nothing but paper air\oil filter for me period.....

G

·
Stock paper filter..good filtering and no power " loss" over stock course :) Why spend time and a little cash cleaning and re-oiling and wondering if you are losing power or not getting proper filtering? I'd rather pay $20 for a new filter. JMO
BTW I've heard nothing but good about the Airaid filter..I have one and have ran it..nothing visible got by it but I did notice some particles I could feel...I checked the airbox like a scientist after running it a while..probably a lot more thorough than after running the stock filter. Others have said their airbox stays cleaner with the Airaid. I have the stock filter back in now and will reinspect after the next dusty ride..if I find a few particles like it did with te Airaid the Airaid will go back in. Problem with the UNI is apparently the design for the XP prevents proper distribution of the oil..some
Areas will be over oiled and some under oiled..that's just what I've been told..personally never tried a panel style UNI that can't be wadded up to distribute the oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you contact uni on there website they will send you the latest version free. . Tom gross is the guy i dealy with

·
Crash!
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know how to oil a foam filter and I can see how this one would have heavy spots and lights spots by the design. Can’t ring it out so it’s hard to get it everywhere. Maybe I will just go back to a stocker. We run in a lot of dust and mud here and I just thought it would be easier to have a serviceable filter. Also if you by chance got the UNI wet it would still work unlike a paper filter. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
After running k and n, and uni I have gone back to stock. Stock is so far the only one who hasn't let fine dust get by. The seal on those aftermarket filters aren't sealin. I repeat they are not sealing. Now I am going to have to find a big ass box of paper filters for cheap from someone. Lol

·
hey ya'll watch this....
1,304 Posts
Well crud... I just bought a Uni but havent opened it.. Sounds like I need my money back if I can get it?

BoostCrzy- I like that set-up but would I have to modify the lid and not use factory intake snorkle? I sometimes run into water and that may be a problem?

·
2012 rzr 900
20 Posts
You have to put a small layer of grease where the filters touch the airbox to make them seal right. This is how it's done with dirtbikes as well. I use bell ray marine grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You have to put a small layer of grease where the filters touch the airbox to make them seal right. This is how it's done with dirtbikes as well. I use bell ray marine grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a plumber so I know the importance of grease. You can only put so much before it gets sucked into to air body. Ya I used grease on both k an n and uni both get dust beyond their point of connection.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts