Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a bunch of threads on this topic but I'd like to gather opinions on what this noise is. To give you some background on this:

2018 RZR Turbo XP4, 650 Miles
1. Noise starts occurring at 25 MPH, gets louder the faster you go, happens in 2WD or 4WD.
2. This has a brand new front differential in it. Polaris replaced the front differential under warranty less than 2 miles ago, the pinion bearing let loose in the original diff and sounded exactly like this.
3. I checked the belt, its in good shape. I checked the wheel bearings, they're in good shape. The driveshaft seems to spin perfectly straight, has no vibration, the carrier bearing feels tight and the shaft does not move at all when pulled side to side or up and down. There is nothing rubbing on the driveshaft from front to back.
4. I verified that the new differential is full of fresh fluid.

Here are the videos:
Looking down at the driveshaft:

Looking back in the tunnel towards the carrier (noise gets quieter with camera facing away from front diff):

Thoughts? My plan is to contact my dealer this morning and get it back in, been down for over a month now :sad

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't have an answer for you but, mine did a similar thing this weekend. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. mine made a noise similar to yours and vibrated pretty bad. it's a 2018 xpt 2 dr. mine problem also happened at around 25 mph. but only did it every time I switched back into 2 wd because I was entering a paved road? if I came to a stop and put it in 4 wd I could go as fast as I wanted no noise. put it back in 2 wd while moving and it sounds like the driveshaft is gonna come out? has about a 1000 miles on mine everything seems tight as far as the driveshaft and carrier brg. as well as the axles. I did just change the oil in the diffs front and rear but can't imagine that caused anything to happen . I will pull the tunnel out and get a better look as soon as I can. i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Took it by the dealer today, they believe it's the carrier bearing. I went ahead and ordered a Sandcraft Gen 3 bearing and their front diff bearing kit, will update the post to see if that cures it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you still feel vibration it could be because your drive shaft could be bent. If the carrier bearing does not help sold you issue you might need new drive shaft. We have aftermarket options which are phased and balanced let us know if you need help!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you still feel vibration it could be because your drive shaft could be bent. If the carrier bearing does not help sold you issue you might need new drive shaft. We have aftermarket options which are phased and balanced let us know if you need help!!
Thanks! I didn't have any vibration, just noise. I dropped it off last night, they're installing the SandCraft Gen 3 carrier and the SandCraft Noise-B-Gone front diff bearing kit. Hopefully this resolves it, if not I'd assume last check box is the driveshaft at that point.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the noise in my 2016 turbo i had the driveshaft balanced and the Sandcraft motorsport carrier bearing, been thinking of doing their noise be gone kit. Would like to hear how yours does.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This issue was resolved with the carrier bearing replacement. I went with a SandCraft Gen 3.

From what we can tell, the carrier bearing must have gone bad and caused a wobble in the front pinion which is what toasted the original differential. After Polaris put a new front differential in it, the noise persisted. Once the carrier bearing was replaced, no more noise!

·
Registered
5 Posts
This issue was resolved with the carrier bearing replacement. I went with a SandCraft Gen 3.

From what we can tell, the carrier bearing must have gone bad and caused a wobble in the front pinion which is what toasted the original differential. After Polaris put a new front differential in it, the noise persisted. Once the carrier bearing was replaced, no more noise!

I have this exact noise on my 2018 XP4 Turbo. Is the noise still gone after running it a month? Also, forgive my ignorance, but how do I tell if my front diff is messed up from it, like happened to yours?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I have this exact noise on my 2018 XP4 Turbo. Is the noise still gone after running it a month? Also, forgive my ignorance, but how do I tell if my front diff is messed up from it, like happened to yours?
After a month of use, still no noise. Pull the drain plug on the differential, mine had a TON of metal shavings and the oil was so dark you couldn't see through it. It also made a different noise when the differential was bad, it sounded more like marbles in a blender whereas the driveshaft noise sounded like someone throwing rocks at a flag pole.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately this did not fix the issue, did about 75 miles of riding and the same noise in OP is back in force.

At this point my thought is that there is an issue with the driveshaft, I wish I would have just done it once and put a driveshaft in it while it was apart. I have a brand new Polaris differential in it and a SandCraft Carrier Bearing. When we pressed the bearing on I was told the driveshaft was true but that's the only part that was not replaced.

Will be looking at replacement driveshafts and report back with my findings.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I did the complete drivetrain upgrade and it is much better. The front diff is a bevel gear setup which are noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2018 Dynamix 4 seater. Not sure when I started hearing the noise, but didn't pay much attention until around the 500 mile mark. Started researching and realized it was an issue. I brought it in under warranty and they had it for 4 weeks. Told me the ring gear was tore up pretty good. I asked him what caused that and he told me "driver behavior", told the guy that was b.s . because I baby this thing.

Anyhow, had it back a week and the noise came back, they get it back and say its the carrier bearing. Changed that, rode 20 minutes and same noise.....I called and lost my sh!t on them. There is a about 1000 miles on the machine now, and I am purchasing the completed drive train from Sand craft and the dealer agreed to put it in at their cost. I could have kept taking it back and they would fix it with stock stuff, but at this point I want to ride the damn thing and not be pissed the whole time. Hoping this works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm having the same issue on my 2018 Dynamix 4 seater. Not sure when I started hearing the noise, but didn't pay much attention until around the 500 mile mark. Started researching and realized it was an issue. I brought it in under warranty and they had it for 4 weeks. Told me the ring gear was tore up pretty good. I asked him what caused that and he told me "driver behavior", told the guy that was b.s . because I baby this thing.

Anyhow, had it back a week and the noise came back, they get it back and say its the carrier bearing. Changed that, rode 20 minutes and same noise.....I called and lost my sh!t on them. There is a about 1000 miles on the machine now, and I am purchasing the completed drive train from Sand craft and the dealer agreed to put it in at their cost. I could have kept taking it back and they would fix it with stock stuff, but at this point I want to ride the damn thing and not be pissed the whole time. Hoping this works.
I hate to say this but I am glad I'm not the only one. We are in about the same predicament, dealer had mine for 4 weeks and put a brand new differential in it after the pinion bearing broke into pieces and tore up the internals. Had it for another week when it still made the noise and they put a sandcraft carrier bearing in it for the cost of the bearing. Now here I am after another ~75 miles with the same exact noise. I'm tired of waiting on the dealer and apparently Polaris parts suck so at this point I'll get a complete aftermarket driveline and put it in myself.

Really getting tired of dropping my full skid plate for this over and over and over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m hoping the $1700 spent on this upgrade fixes it. I talked to a couple people who’ve had it done and they are happy with it. My only concern is I didn’t upgrade the sprague and armature-plate. It was another $300. The guy at Sand Craft said to send it to them anyhow if I want to upgrade it.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Fighting the same issue on my 17 XPT 4. I pulled the drive line two nights ago and it is gloriously quiet! I am going to have a local drive line shop redo it with thicker tubing, better u-joints, and obviously phase and balance it. $360 for the drive line work so you guys should talk to a local shop before dropping all the money on the SCR drive line. I am also doing the front diff bearings and carrier bearing when I put it back together.

With the drive line out, the infamous clutch engagement clunk that the Turbos are known for is gone too. The stock drive line seems to be the culprit for more issues than I realized. Makes me wonder if the noise is a bearing or possibly one of the u-joints?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Fighting the same issue on my 17 XPT 4. I pulled the drive line two nights ago and it is gloriously quiet! I am going to have a local drive line shop redo it with thicker tubing, better u-joints, and obviously phase and balance it. $360 for the drive line work so you guys should talk to a local shop before dropping all the money on the SCR drive line. I am also doing the front diff bearings and carrier bearing when I put it back together.

With the drive line out, the infamous clutch engagement clunk that the Turbos are known for is gone too. The stock drive line seems to be the culprit for more issues than I realized. Makes me wonder if the noise is a bearing or possibly one of the u-joints?
Keep us posted Ryan.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I’m hoping the $1700 spent on this upgrade fixes it. I talked to a couple people who’ve had it done and they are happy with it. My only concern is I didn’t upgrade the sprague and armature-plate. It was another $300. The guy at Sand Craft said to send it to them anyhow if I want to upgrade it.
A couple friends with 4 seaters did the Sandcraft upgrade. They say its worth it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts