Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new rzr4 and I have to say that I am very impressed, except for the power. I have had everything from dirt bikes to twin turbo sand cars. For the most part I don't go to the dunes anymore so I don't need anything crazy. I would love some dependable power without a bunch of head aches and a bunch of noise. I would like to keep the sound stock if possible. I have been trying to choose between a low boost turbo, a supercharger or a big bore kit. The three I have been leaning towards is the arrow charger, mpi super charger and Holz stage 3. I am not a fan of turbo lag and I spend the majority of my time on mountain trails and the desert.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Big Bore Kit would be your best bet. No worries, someone with both engine packages will be by to answer any questions you may have.

Welcome

·
Registered
706 Posts
Your best bet would be the holz stage 3, the exhaust might be a bit louder then stock but they have quiet cores available but I dont know if they will work with the holz kit. The aerocharger is awesome even on the trails but Im sure you are well aware of how addicting the boost is and you would soon turn it up, and would have to start shaking the money tree.

These damn rzr's are so much fun BOOSTED:devil3:

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
I have a new rzr4 and I have to say that I am very impressed, except for the power. I have had everything from dirt bikes to twin turbo sand cars. For the most part I don't go to the dunes anymore so I don't need anything crazy. I would love some dependable power without a bunch of head aches and a bunch of noise. I would like to keep the sound stock if possible. I have been trying to choose between a low boost turbo, a supercharger or a big bore kit. The three I have been leaning towards is the arrow charger, mpi super charger and Holz stage 3. I am not a fan of turbo lag and I spend the majority of my time on mountain trails and the desert.
Simple answer is the Holz Stage 3 Big bore kit. You can choose to run the stock muffler or the Muzzy. I have the Muzzy with the quite core inserts. It is louder than stock but not obnoxiously so , plus the performance more than makes up for the sound. The Holz kit is the only Big bore kit out there thats a complete A to Z kit from the kit to the clutching to the ECM and exhaust in one package. This saves you from wasting your time and money trying to figure all the other important pieces of the puzzle out to get the max performance from the kit. It's a race proven and reliable kit.

After it's installed, it still looks stock and the maintenance is the same as a stock engine. The only change is that you have to make is to use 91 Octane gas if you aren't already. I am thoroughly impressed with the kit and can cruise along at 75 mph no problem. The low end torque and power is impressive. The holz Dyno chart breaks it down nicely for each configuration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your thoughts. I figured that would probably be the way to go. Any down sides to going big bore? How tough is the install. I am fairly handy with the tools but am by no means a mechanic. I was thinking of sticking with the stock exhaust just to keep the noise down. Do you know the db rating of the muzzy with the quit cores and do they include spark arrestors?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I think I read on the forum that with the muzzy quiet cores the db is a couple of points lower than stock. But I think at higher rpm's it is a little louder??? I may have seen some comparison numbers on Muzzy's web site.
Ken

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Holz stage 3 will the best,there is no down sides with the BB,if your not handy with the engines let somebody install it for you,they do include the spark arrestors.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. I figured that would probably be the way to go. Any down sides to going big bore? How tough is the install. I am fairly handy with the tools but am by no means a mechanic. I was thinking of sticking with the stock exhaust just to keep the noise down. Do you know the db rating of the muzzy with the quit cores and do they include spark arrestors?
I want to say that they Muzzy with quite cores is like 91 dbs. There is a video around here somewhere where one of the members took db readings behind a RZR with the Muzzy exhaust. The Muzzy exhaust kit does come with spark arrestors.

As for down sides, with the Holz kit I do not know of any. However the other Big bore kits offer larger CC numbers which means they are shaving more metal off of the head which I think lowers the long term reliability as the walls are now thinner. As for the Install, you can go to the Holz web site and download the actual instructions (CLICK HERE). I had one of the other forum members(swingarm1) install mine as he has installed several other kits before and he is fairly close to me. If you've never been inside of an engine before, it might be a good idea to have someone install it for you. I know people who you can ship your engine to, they can build it for you and ship it back to you and all you do is install it back into the RZR. Several forum members here have done similar things in the past.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
There is nothing wrong with going turbo as long as you keep the boost at a reasonable amount. Its only the guys pushing the boost above recommended setting that have the problems. A simple stage 1 kit will be plenty for trails and be very reliable. Also the good thing about the turbo is if you are crusing around on a trail it doesnt even kick in.

·
De Oppresso Liber
1,682 Posts
There is nothing wrong with going turbo as long as you keep the boost at a reasonable amount. Its only the guys pushing the boost above recommended setting that have the problems. A simple stage 1 kit will be plenty for trails and be very reliable. Also the good thing about the turbo is if you are crusing around on a trail it doesnt even kick in.
I thought that to be true too.....until I started doing the research and talking to people who have had turbo issues when operating with in "normal" settings. Having engines self destruct for no apparent reason while being used within normal parameters doesn't strike me as reliable. THIS THREAD is a good example of what I am talking about.See post #1 and post #11 for details.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I
I thought that to be true too.....until I started doing the research and talking to people who have had turbo issues when operating with in "normal" settings. Having engines self destruct for no apparent reason while being used within normal parameters doesn't strike me as reliable. THIS THREAD is a good example of what I am talking about.See post #1 and post #11 for details.
That's my motor and it was a stage 3 aerocharger with the 860 bigbore at 10 PSI boost. Suggested settings are 6 psi with the standard bore. That stage 1 aerocharger will beat a 860 bigbore teryx off the line and never look back. Yes both machines were mine and I sold the teryx because the turbo rzr was a lot more fun. I can't vouch for the holz kit. But it has a very good reputation and history so I don't see where anyone could go wrong choosing it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just finished the install of the Holz BB. If you can follow directions and have some basic tools, it is easy to do. However, I read a post on the Holz page http://www.rzrforums.net/holz-racing-products/36898-stage-3-2011-a.html and they said their Stage 3 will not work with the 2011. I think if I went with the RZR 4, I would turbo it. My wife is looking and she knows the condition. I didn't because I already had 2k mile on my engine, with some possible dirt ingestion, so I figured if I went turbo, I would need to rebuild the entire motor. I here they ride like a Caddi'. Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Sooner or later I'll probably end up with a bigbore kit.. I hope by then the price has came down lol. I don't think you can go wrong with it.. That said.. On a new motor in a RZR 4 I'd probably say Turbo.. Just because you will get more HP for just a little more $$. Since you could have 4 full grown men in there I'd want all the extra power I could get..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts