Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some new springs for a turbo s 4. Anyone got a recommendation on a spring compressor that works with the shocks on a turbo s dynamic? I got a compressor kit from Amazon (See below). Using the full length of this compressor I would have to coil bind the main spring to get the spring retainer off. The fingers that grab the spring rub on the shock body and also broke the spring separator because the finger was pushing on the separator. I rented a kit from the car parts store, just to big and not enough travel. I think I need something that can span over, maybe 18" so I can collapse the coils enough without coil bind and the fingers are small enough so not to rub on the shock body. Ive done springs on other sxs and never had this much trouble.

Light Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Registered
134 Posts
I got some new springs for a turbo s 4. Anyone got a recommendation on a spring compressor that works with the shocks on a turbo s dynamic? I got a compressor kit from Amazon (See below). Using the full length of this compressor I would have to coil bind the main spring to get the spring retainer off. The fingers that grab the spring rub on the shock body and also broke the spring separator because the finger was pushing on the separator. I rented a kit from the car parts store, just to big and not enough travel. I think I need something that can span over, maybe 18" so I can collapse the coils enough without coil bind and the fingers are small enough so not to rub on the shock body. Ive done springs on other sxs and never had this much trouble.

View attachment 688647
A ratchets strap works, endless ratchet straps!

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have been using these, they work good, you can also grab the spring as low as possible to miss the shock body.

Ratchet straps sound like an accident waiting to happen.

Reactions: LinkedXJ

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Replaced mine on 18’ Turbo S using ratchet straps. Actually got 4 straps (free) from my local Polaris dealer, straps that were used on new RZR’s when delivered. The straps did not have hooks on the ends that would need to be cut off. Dealer told me they just toss them out once removed from delivered RZR’s.

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
134 Posts
This style works great on the turbo S. No way you could use a ratchet strap for the front shocks of a turbo S.
Endless ratchet straps, they can and do work! I'm 68 and I did it on my turbo S!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don’t see how it’s even possible. When installing my tender springs I had the bottom oem spring compressed with like 4 coils touching each other. It took that much to barely get the cup on. Maybe I just don’t know how to use the straps on the springs

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've also used the ratchet strap method more than once. Not on my rzr but on plenty of dirtbike shocks. It does work, just check out some YouTube videos and you'll get the idea.

·
Vendor
569 Posts
I don’t see how it’s even possible. When installing my tender springs I had the bottom oem spring compressed with like 4 coils touching each other. It took that much to barely get the cup on. Maybe I just don’t know how to use the straps on the springs
Did you have the pre-load collars all the way up when you were putting the springs on?
Did you watch this video? This guy does it without anything. Not sure if I totally believe that.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Did you have the pre-load collars all the way up when you were putting the springs on?
Did you watch this video? This guy does it without anything. Not sure if I totally believe that.
I have seen that video. My 4 seat turbo s dynamix would not just let the front cup out without compressing. I did have the preload collar all the way as well. MTS/ eibach uses 20” of spring length in front so I don’t see how you would do a install without compressing. I felt like installing front tenders was even tougher than the dual rate. I know zbroz uses shorter springs

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info! To get the adjustment nut to turn to take the pre-load off I used WD-40 and still had to load the springs some. The eibach turbo s 4 springs on the front are a 8" and a 10" plus the xover ring that is 18.5" of spring height to get on. Every video I watch makes it look so easy. After watching Shock Therapy, use something similar I ordered this from Amazon. Was 140, when I got it, it was all fu*k up, missing parts and base threads all messed up. Amazon gave me 60 off to keep.
Red Cross Font Symbol Carmine

I wish I waited to see all this info. I think I would have tried the straps. With a little thought the straps can be release a little at a time. Use the handle to unload the pressure from the lock claw, open lock claw by hand, release some with handle, let lock claw engage, repeat. I need to replace one front divider that broke from the first spring compressor pushing on it. Also I will get to the rears this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks for all the info! To get the adjustment nut to turn to take the pre-load off I used WD-40 and still had to load the springs some. The eibach turbo s 4 springs on the front are a 8" and a 10" plus the xover ring that is 18.5" of spring height to get on. Every video I watch makes it look so easy. After watching Shock Therapy, use something similar I ordered this from Amazon. Was 140, when I got it, it was all fu*k up, missing parts and base threads all messed up. Amazon gave me 60 off to keep.
View attachment 688931
I wish I waited to see all this info. I think I would have tried the straps. With a little thought the straps can be release a little at a time. Use the handle to unload the pressure from the lock claw, open lock claw by hand, release some with handle, let lock claw engage, repeat. I need to replace one front divider that broke from the first spring compressor pushing on it. Also I will get to the rears this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.
Which eibach kit do you have? Everyone I seen has a 8” spring over a 12” long spring in the front

·
Registered
518 Posts
mcpherson strut spring compressors work pretty well, and are far safer than the suicide bars shown above.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This style works great on the turbo S. No way you could use a ratchet strap for the front shocks of a turbo S.
I just finished changing mine with this tool. Worked great for 3 shocks and the 4th one the threads stripped and left me stuck. I ran to Harbor Freight and used their cheapest strut tool to finish. The Amazon tool is perfect but just didn’t finish the job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts