Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris brand winch on 2018 RZR 1000

Winch only goes in, never out.

Where the winch switch cable, plugs into the dash, there are 3 prongs, not a "dip switch" like some.

When using volt meter, I have 14V on one prong, and zero on the other two.

When using a jumper, to bypass the switch, jumping from one prong, to the other, in all possible combinations, I can either do nothing, or get the winch to go in..

So I am thinking the switch is fine, and the solenoid is bad ?

If so, I have no clue where the solenoid is, by the motor ? can those be swapped out without buying a whole new winch ?

What do I do ?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Switch the wires on the winch and see if the winch now goes out, if so it is not the winch.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I will switch the wires when I get home from work today.

Does anyone know if it does end up being the solenoid, if that is easy to replace, ? where exactly is it, next to the "motor" for the winch ?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Depends on how it was installed, but typically it will be on the firewall either near the coolant reservoir or under the dash/cowl. Follow the wires off of the winch.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Winch worked perfect after work yesterday ... didn't do much .. I cut the rope off, because the rubber puck / magnet was smashed against the bumper, from going in further and further each time I tried to go "OUT" ...

Then I re-did the rope, and now the winch was out and in .. but that doesn't make any sense ? I didn't do anything ?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
If every time you tried OUT the rope was going in, then either the power cables are reversed on winch, or the rope is wound the wrong way on drum?

If you use the OUT direction on a winch it will unspool all the rope.
If you continue to use the OUT direction, it will then start wrapping rope wrong way on drum till it is all on drum, and rubber puck / magnet is against fairlead.
At this point IN will not work, because of rubber puck / magnet against fairlead limit switch.
OUT will work, but that only wraps rope tighter around drum, since it is wound wrong way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If every time you tried OUT the rope was going in, then either the power cables are reversed on winch, or the rope is wound the wrong way on drum?

If you use the OUT direction on a winch it will unspool all the rope.
If you continue to use the OUT direction, it will then start wrapping rope wrong way on drum till it is all on drum, and rubber puck / magnet is against fairlead.
At this point IN will not work, because of rubber puck / magnet against fairlead limit switch.
OUT will work, but that only wraps rope tighter around drum, since it is wound wrong way.
That’s exactly what happened to mine. Had to disconnect the auto stop connector to get it undone. Also don’t bang on the freespool knob. One tap with a rubber hammer and it broke off. No way to repair. Seems to happen a lot when plowing snow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts