Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

· Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP Premium
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

· Registered
538 Posts
Thanks guys, I just ordered this one. Got one for my ATV as well. Thanks for the input!
I use NOCO brand as well, great stuff, but I am pretty sure you need an adapter for that to work in the dash plug if thats what you want to do. NOCO uses there own style. Its not like many of the others.

· Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know what I need to get for the trickle charger that plugs into the dash? I have parked my 2022 Pro XP and want to maintain the battery all winter. Thanks in advance! Eric
If you really want to do it right, remove the battery and bring it indoors, check the electrolyte level, add distilled water only, clean and apply dielectric grease to the terminals put a trickle charger on it. When you reinstall it in the spring apply dielectric grease to the terminals, covering all the metal, you will never have any corrosion issue. I do this to all my batteries.

· Registered
538 Posts
If you really want to do it right, remove the battery and bring it indoors, check the electrolyte level, add distilled water only, clean and apply dielectric grease to the terminals put a trickle charger on it. When you reinstall it in the spring apply dielectric grease to the terminals, covering all the metal, you will never have any corrosion issue. I do this to all my batteries.
could you go more in depth on how you service a non serviceable battery?
Secondly, its ok to apply the dielectric grease for winter storage, but it should never be used on a battery terminal that is in service.
Thats is the exact opposite thing you want to put on a battery. Dielectric is an insulator, and disrupts the flow of current.
As far as what cord you need. I think this is what you need. A cord with ends like this. Although I have never personally messed with the factory
setup. I believe its just a standard plug.

· Registered
XP1000
1,328 Posts
Pros And Cons Of Using Dielectric Grease On Battery Terminals
Although you can use the dielectric grease battery terminal, your engine does not really need this product to operate effectively.
Indeed, it can bring you some benefits, but there are some undesired problems.
It is because the battery creates a high-current flow, while experts recommend using dielectric grease with a low-current flow. This can be one of the causes that ruin the battery besides a bad alternator.
Thus, this section will list the pros and cons of dielectric grease for battery terminals. Then, you can consider them to make your decision.
Pros:
  • Prevent dust, dirt, or foreign objects from entering the connections.
  • Protect the connections from corrosion.
  • Extend the life and quality of the battery and some car’s components.
Cons:
Where Can We Put Dielectric Grease On Battery Terminals?
As mentioned before, this is not a must item, but you need to apply it correctly to maximize its benefits. Thus, you need to remember some notes:
  • If you need to apply dielectric grease to battery terminals, try not to overdo it. Applying too much can block the current flow. When you employ a sufficient amount, all the excess grease will come out when bolted and leave just enough volume to fill in the existing gaps without impairing the contact between electrical connectors.
  • It will effectively keep any air or moisture from getting to the connectors. However, using other options will be safer and preferable. We will mention it later.
Thus, how to use dielectric grease on battery terminals? You might follow these steps to ensure the benefits and reduce risks:
  • Of course, the first step is to prepare the necessary tools and enough dielectric grease.
  • Next, before greasing, experts always advise you to clean all the connections, regardless of whether your terminals are rusted or not. Do not forget to make sure the connections are dry.
  • Apply a thin layer of grease to the terminals after cleaning them.
  • In this step, you need to clamp the terminal and fasten them together with a bolt. This way, it can let the grease excess run out. Clean it, and you can have a strong and excellent connection.
Bonus Tips: What Can We Use Instead Of Dielectric Grease?
Dielectric grease’s property isn’t a conductor of electricity.
That’s why the previous section said that it wouldn’t assist you in boosting your power flow. Instead, the grease protects the electric connections by avoiding corrosion.
If you want to enhance the output of your battery terminals, you won’t need it. You can use other products in its place. Here are some of the options we think you’ll like.
Anti-Corrosion Spray
As its name implies, anti-corrosion spray like WD-40 protects your metal’s surface from rust-causing contaminants. Water, oxygen, and other substances that cause rust can be all inhibited by this layer.
For corrosion prevention, the anti-corrosive spray outperforms dielectric grease. It is because this product can reach the small places where your fingertips can’t.
Dielectric grease can be used between wires, but only for low-current connections. Again, this is due to the high voltage rating of the battery connectors.
Honestly, the property of an anti-corrosive spray isn’t an electrical conductor. Yet, it’s still an ideal safeguard because it won’t obstruct the output of your battery connections.
Lithium Grease
Lithium grease is another anti corrosion grease for battery terminals that may be used as a substitute. It is considered a white and all-purpose lubricant that may work wonders for various applications.
You can buy this product at auto shops, which is a perfect suggestion because it does not harm the connection.
In detail, we can use this product to lubricate metal-metal or metal-plastic contacts. It will aid in reducing friction to create the smooth movement of components. Moreover, this item acts as a rust preventative.
In addition, lithium can work to prevent future corrosion by displacing air and moisture from the surrounding area. As a result, it provides protection against such issues.
Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly (also known as petrolatum) is a semisolid jelly-like material. It is made chiefly of waxes and mineral oils. Since Robert Augustus Chesebrough found it in 1859, this product hasn’t altered much.
Due to its benefits and various applications, it is a common product in every household. For example, Vaseline is one of the most well-known petroleum jelly products.
An application of petroleum jelly is to apply to the battery terminals when reattaching the cables.
You can accomplish this by rubbing a small quantity into the terminals before attaching the cables. After cleaning and letting the terminal dry, you may apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to them.
A modest quantity would be sufficient to provide the correct lubrication, avoiding corrosion and assisting in the connection’s strengthening.

· Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP4
652 Posts
The battery t
I already have these for my old RZR, is it compatible with that port on the dash?

Amzon link
Battery Tender Junior 12V

Looking at the Polaris website, it's really unclear if these are just wires to the battery of if there is something else in there. I figured that I would just ask what might be a stupid question.
Yes, this comes with the correct plug for the in dash port.
Font Tool Gadget Office supplies Audio equipment

· Registered
8 Posts
Secondly, its ok to apply the dielectric grease for winter storage, but it should never be used on a battery terminal that is in service.
Thats is the exact opposite thing you want to put on a battery. Dielectric is an insulator, and disrupts the flow of current.
As far as what cord you need. I think this is what you need. A cord with ends like this. Although I have never personally messed with the factory
setup. I believe its just a standard plug.
The battery t

View attachment 710010
The battery t

View attachment 710010
My Rzr batteries from factory are serviceable, and I would never purchase one that is not With the exception of sealed gel that I used on my Aeroilite 103 ultralight at 3000 ft in the air also with dielectric grease on those terminals, it’s not going to affect conductivity even being non conductive,been using grease and dielectric grease on terminals for 30 years without any issues, guarantee the way I take care of my batteries will outlast most.

· Registered
538 Posts
My Rzr batteries from factory are serviceable, and I would never purchase one that is not With the exception of sealed gel that I used on my Aeroilite 103 ultralight at 3000 ft in the air also with dielectric grease on those terminals, it’s not going to affect conductivity even being non conductive,been using grease and dielectric grease on terminals for 30 years without any issues, guarantee the way I take care of my batteries will outlast most.
Well thats great but this is the pro xp forum, and pro xp's never came with servicable batteries!
I am a 20yr AP for a major carrier. If you had a real airplane the grease you use wouldnt fly, literally.
And I guarantee it affects the electrical system, and not in a good way! To each there own
but the facts, and stats prove its not a good idea.

· Registered
8 Posts
Well thats great but this is the pro xp forum, and pro xp's never came with servicable batteries!
I am a 20yr AP for a major carrier. If you had a real airplane the grease you use wouldnt fly, literally.
And I guarantee it affects the electrical system, and not in a good way! To each there own
but the facts, and stats prove its not a good idea

· Registered
1,192 Posts
Could you go more in depth (provide actual stats/facts) on how the use of dielectric grease on RZR battery terminals could "disrupt the flow of current" enough to have any noticeable effect on the use of the RZR's starter, winch, or accessories?
Secondly, can you explain why Polaris engineers would, in your words, give "bad advice" and state to use dielectric grease (Polaris P/N 2871329) or petroleum jelly (also non-conductive) on the battery terminals prior to connecting the cables as opposed to recommending anything else, or nothing at all?
Rectangle Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Number

· Registered
8 Posts
Although I started this controversy about Dielectric grease, I’m not discounting what he said, I stated this is what I’ve done for many years and it’s worked well for me ive never had an electrical issue at all, what he is saying is that dielectric grease is non conductive and should not be used between the posts and the connector just applied after the connection has been made. I get that, but I personally use it on all my connections crimped or otherwise, if I had a conducting issue I would never use it. I very particular with wiring and it’s work for me, so others can draw there opinion on what they would like to do. And that’s ok.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts