Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2010 RZR-S when I went to drain all of the oils I found that a fine thread bolt was screwed into the transmission with some JB Weld? What is the recommended (in Place) fix for this? Drill and Tap to 3/8 NPT or is their something better?

·
Registered
758 Posts
A search for RZR trans drain repairs came up with time-serts and helicoils as leading contenders. Some may have drilled and tapped for a larger plug. I think I read somewhere that some are using the expandable plugs with good luck as well

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tine-certs or Helicoils are good fixes, provided the actual sealing is done with a flanged plug, which is typical here. They can be done in-situ, but if you’ve never done one I get help with it. You’ll need a scheme to keep the cuttings out of the trans, and if possible some kind of jig to keep the drill perpendicular to the hole as you drill it out.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Tranny and transfer case drain plugs are 5133731
3/8-24 thread with O-ring seal.
Not sure a 3/8-24 Time-Sert will have chamfer for O-ring seal, may have to seal with crush washer.

SAE Straight Thread O-ring (O-Ring Boss)
Font Rectangle Slope Parallel Pattern

Reactions: Flying59

·
Registered
391 Posts
Time Serts are bad ass. Not cheap but it’s common on diesel sprinter vans to have wrecked glow plugs due to aluminum and steel issues. I had two I needed to fix with the time Serts, permanent repair unlike flakey helicoils

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good info, If it’s an o ring seal it will need a chamfer or counter bore machined in to accept the o ring. But if the top of the hole is machined flat you could switch up and use a flanged bolt with a soft washer, (copper or aluminum) for the seal.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good info, If it’s an o ring seal it will need a chamfer or counter bore machined in to accept the o ring. But if the top of the hole is machined flat you could switch up and use a flanged bolt with a soft washer, (copper or aluminum) for the seal.
well said.time sert sells some of the countersink bits. Just make sure you don’t over do it since if you don’t have the right size and depth your gonna have a constant leak

1 - 9 of 9 Posts