Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Trans Issue! Shift Indicator stuck in "R" no "High" Gear Blowing fluid out the vent

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RZRTito 
#1 ·
New to the forum. Any help would GREATLY be appreciated! I have a 2008 RZR 800. During last deer season my rzr started to become hard to shift. I coulndt get High gear unless I really pulled the shifter almost past the gear position. It operated like this for a while then the gear indicator on the gauge stuck on "R" no matter where you shifted. The whole shift pattern seemed to move back. Park is where Neutral normally is, so within normal shifter travel... Park Neutral and Low are the only gears i can get. There is no detent between them. The cable moves freely, I had hoped it had stretched or something... The shift lever moves freely with the cable removed. I had just replaced all the fluids. It seems like I may have over filled the trans, it was overflowing out the vent on the muffler at high speeds. :( The fluid looks good, no steel... Does anyone have experience with this can of worms?? Thank in advance!

#4 ·
1) I had just replaced all the fluids

2) The shift lever moves freely with the cable removed.

1) Did you overfill the transfer case? See below photo.

2) With cable disconnected, can you feel detents when you move the transmission lever?
....Can you get it into park and high?

Attachments

#5 ·
It does grind a little when shifting if the rpms are high when I shift. I re-shimmed the pulley last fall when I replaced the belt and it seemed to help.

I ordered a new cable and when I took the old one off it seemed to operate fine. That wouldn't explain why the gear indicator on the gauge is stuck on "R"....

I can feel the detents and it will go into all gears when shifted by hand without the cable attached.

I do think I overfilled the transfer case...

Thanks for the input guys!

#7 ·
I drained the transfer case to the level plug and replaced the shift cable. Manually I can find each gear, but after starting the machine the same situation exists, no park or High and is grinds relentlessly between gears and it feels like there are no detents. Do you think the one way in the clutch failed? That could explain the grinding but what about the gears, where are part and high? Could overfilling the transfer case have pushed fluid into the gear indicator causing it to malfunction?

#8 ·
You can pull the primary clutch off and feel the one way bearing by hand. I replaced the one way bearing on my old 800. No clue on the park and high gear.

Another thought is to call Todd at Hunterworks next week. He knows his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

#9 ·
I think you need to adjust the shift cable. Mine did the same thing on a WVA trip right after I put the EMP shifter in. Rode Saturday struggling to get to high gear. Adjusted Sunday morning and all is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.