Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I'm new here so please bear with me. Took my new rzr 800 s le out on river this past weekend and got in a little water. Went home to check fluids in trans/gear boxes etc. and fluid looked like whiteout. Ive seen water in fluids before but never have I seen them this white. Just curious if this was some break in fluid that you replace after first fluid change or the water in cases is that bad. It looked like this in front and rear gear boxes. Engine oil looked fine. Thanks for the help.

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
the factory stuff turns real white with water in it..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it did wishful thinking that maybe it wasn't I guess. Just ordered the fluids for a change. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
I am assuming you went deep. If so, water probably entered the gear cases through your vent hoses. If it were mine, I would change the Rear Angle Drive (rear diff) and the trans and transfer case oils, run the RZR around for 5 minutes and change them a second time. I would repeat that procedure for the Front Demand Drive (front diff) a total of 3 times. There is an armature in the front diff, along with other sensitive parts. Use Polaris brand fluids, and you should be good. Remember, rust begins to form within 24 hours of water getting to the steel parts!

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Hey everyone I'm new here so please bear with me. Took my new rzr 800 s le out on river this past weekend and got in a little water. help.
Got to ask, since I take boats and jetski when I go out on the river.
What exactly do you mean by out on the river ?

·
Mud Life Crisis
627 Posts
Allcool, you know, he took it for a swim!! Probably to just "clean the mud off"! But, usually they get scuba gear before they swim! Mine got snorkeled before we put it on the trailer!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah more in river than on lol. Got stuck comin out of water. Was in for about 5 before got pulled out. Got all my Polaris fluids just got change em now.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Allcool, you know, he took it for a swim!! Probably to just "clean the mud off"! But, usually they get scuba gear before they swim! Mine got snorkeled before we put it on the trailer!
Lol, ya figured as much. Was just thinking, RZR "out on the river", maybe he had a paddle boat type setup and was cruising the river... idk

Anyhow, to the op, don't let it sit overnight with the water in there. Bearings will get rust spots very very fast, and have a short life span.

·
Shaft1088
29 Posts
I just noticed mine was white too. I haven't driven my Rzr around much and it has been just over a month since I flooded it. The water has been sitting in the transmission since then without me knowing it.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Oil is slightly less dense than water so let it sit over night to let the water settle down to the bottom and then drain it. Then if it were me I'd use cheap fluids to flush it. Run it (drive it around carefully) to emulsify the remaining water into the oil (that's the white color). Immediately drain and add cheap fluids and run it it again and drain first and wait to cool off and then do it a third time depending on the appearance of the oil. Once clear I'd add the expensive Polaris fluids. JMO

·
Shaft1088
29 Posts
I was reading another forum post and they said fill it full of diesel fuel, drive slowly around then drain and you should be good. what are your thoughts on adding diesel fuel to clean it out?

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've used diesel to clean out polluted gear boxes before, it works great, except its hard to get it all out. The residue hangs around forever. I've done it on manual trans gearboxes where I could turn it over and spray it out with brake cleaner.

·
Shaft1088
29 Posts
I wonder how many rzr owners out there are running around with watered-down transmission fluid. I had no idea water could get in there so easily

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
I wonder how many rzr owners out there are running around with watered-down transmission fluid. I had no idea water could get in there so easily

Something isnt right then. Bc we run lots o creeks. Streams. Water holes etc. We dont flood them out. But we are always around water and my fluid is always nearly perfect. I change it every 500miles.

·
Shaft1088
29 Posts
If you search rzr 1000 kane creek moab on youtube you will see how I flooded it. It was a sink hole that I did not know was that deep. Water came in thru the vent hose

1 - 15 of 15 Posts