Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my 2021 RZR Trail Premium and am starting to kit it out.

I really like the SuperATV "Polaris RZR Trail 900 Scratch-Resistant Flip Windshield" and "Polaris RZR Trail 900 Rear Windshield", but both of these say not to tow them on an open trailer with these installed. I'm having a hard time seeing how practical it would be to have to remove both windshields every time I want to transport the RZR.

Are they all like this, or just the SuperATV ones? Windshield choices for the 2021 are few at the moment given how new the model is, and I'm sure there will be other options coming, but if they all have this restriction then... ?

Any advice for open trailering at highway speeds with front and rear windshields installed, with the RZR facing forward?

Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
As 89sandman says, if you can’t tow it how can you ride with it?. I had a 1/2 windshield that said not to tow on, I forgot to take it off and towed it home at 70mph, it was fine. I now have a full glass and back poly and tow it facing forward.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I really like the SuperATV "Polaris RZR Trail 900 Scratch-Resistant Flip Windshield" and "Polaris RZR Trail 900 Rear Windshield", but both of these say not to tow them on an open trailer with these installed. I'm having a hard time seeing how practical it would be to have to remove both windshields every time I want to transport the RZR.

Are they all like this, or just the SuperATV ones? Windshield choices for the 2021 are few at the moment given how new the model is, and I'm sure there will be other options coming, but if they all have this restriction then... ?

Any advice for open trailering at highway speeds with front and rear windshields installed, with the RZR facing forward?

Thanks
I have the same exact ones on my 2021 pro-xp and never had a problem towing even at speeds up to 80 mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They don't mention a specific speed. I'm not concerned at 35-40 around town, and you two are right that is going to be driving speed on some trails.

We have 75mph speed limits on the highway here. I can see maybe putting a strap or something on the handle used to adjust the windshield opening to make sure the flip up front windshield doesn't come unlatched and flap around.

I asked their online chat and got a response of "We recommend you remove the windshields before trailering. The windshield could bow, crack or even break under extreme circumstances."

Thanks Dale, for sharing your info re: towing at 80mph with this exact windshield.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have had the superatv flip and a tusk rear window for over 3 years and have trailer towed or hauled in the back of my truck at 70 MPH + numerous times with no issues. I make sure the windshield is in the closed position.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
They don't mention a specific speed. I'm not concerned at 35-40 around town, and you two are right that is going to be driving speed on some trails.

We have 75mph speed limits on the highway here. I can see maybe putting a strap or something on the handle used to adjust the windshield opening to make sure the flip up front windshield doesn't come unlatched and flap around.

I asked their online chat and got a response of "We recommend you remove the windshields before trailering. The windshield could bow, crack or even break under extreme circumstances."

Thanks Dale, for sharing your info re: towing at 80mph with this exact windshield.
If one asks them, they will always recommend removal. Because there WILL be that one that catches a bird or something, then person doing the towing will bitch like hell because the bird broke their brand new windshield and claim windshield was defective! It is just a CYA general statement.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
If one asks them, they will always recommend removal. Because there WILL be that one that catches a bird or something, then person doing the towing will bitch like hell because the bird broke their brand new windshield and claim windshield was defective! It is just a CYA general statement.
Interesting timing of your post. I was on my way to the trailhead this morning when a dang wild turkey came flying out of the ditch, barely missed my Yukon and hit the windshield (Polaris 1/2) on the RZR. It put a crack in the edge, but didn't break it completely. Weird as heck.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP aka: The Bomb
543 Posts
Just make sure you don’t trailer it with just a rear windshield on and you’ll be fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I trailer mine with the superatv 1/2 front and full rear, with out issues so far 75mph or so.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have a full plastic windshield and a soft mesh rear shield. If I am going a short distance I leave them on, if I take a trip several hundred miles I take them off. My windshield has 5 straps that hold it on so it only takes a minute and I don't want to have to worry about a rock or something hitting it. I also know they are designed for speeds but most people don't get on their SXS and go 70-80 mph for 6,7,8,,,, hours at a time. I am not sure if this causes stress on the mounting points or not. For my set up, taking 5 minutes to remove both is worth the piece of mind. Mine just has the thick rubber straps that wrap around the cage....

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a full glass front and rear. I always load the machine backward because if I am going to get a rock chip, I would as soon it be in the rear as right in front of me.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks
I have a Super ATV flipup windshield. Have had it for over 2 years. Have towed it for over 8000 miles on an open trailer at speeds sometimes over 80mph. Just moved it to a new RZR this week to use for another two years. Always had it loaded forward. Great windshield.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I take mine off when trailering a longer distance, but not because they recommend it. I do it cause it gets plastered with bugs by the time i get to my destination. Not a big deal to take off and put on.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We've always towed ours with both front and back windshields in place but we leave our cab enclosure on year around and too we usually tow the RZR on a trailer behind our camper so the camper protects it better than a pickup or SUV would. One of these years I want to get an enclosed trailer to haul it in. That's my ultimate goal.

·
Registered
2020 RZR XP 4 TURBO
4 Posts

Thanks
Never any issues, same as others 80+ mph never any issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts