Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’re about to make a UTV purchase and need to figure out our storage and trailering options. I live in an HOA controlled neighborhood and will not be able to store any trailers at the house. I do have room in my garage to keep the machine, but will still have to figure out trailering options.

Option 1: $$$$
Buy an enclosed trailer and store it at a facility that is close by. I would also be able to store the machine inside of the trailer. This seems like the best overall approach, but it is also the most costly. I would be in for about a $4k trailer and $80+ per month.

Option 2: $$$
Same as option 1, but buy a cheaper open utility trailer. This would save almost $2k, but I would have to store the machine at my house. Don’t want to leave it in the elements even with a fabric cover.

Option 3: $
Store the UTV in my garage and rent a trailer from uhual whenever we go out riding. Cost is about $30 for the 6x12 and $52 for a car hauler. Seems more economical to go this route, but can be a pain to go through the rental process every time. I am also considering a Turbo S, and the 72” width is tight with most trailer rentals…

What are others doing in my same predicament?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Simple answer,,,,,, move...... I'm not a fan of HOA's, they limit people from living life and make people conform to someone else's idea of how you should live.

That said, I would have a hard time paying a storage fee, and a harder time leaving the rzr in an enclosed trailer at a storage lot. Highly recommend good insurance, because it may dissapear. I would be more inclined to store it in my garage and see if you can keep a trailer at a buddies house. Unfortunately you don't have many good options.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Is an outbuilding permitted? Maybe a nice steel sided pile barn type would work? I was able to add a 30x40 shed on the back side of the house and can put the toys in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is an outbuilding permitted? Maybe a nice steel sided pile barn type would work? I was able to add a 30x40 shed on the back side of the house and can put the toys in there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
That is not permitted, plus our lots are smaller...

·
Registered
334 Posts
rent

·
Registered
198 Posts
1 or 2 car garage? What about keeping the trailer in the garage next to the RZR?

What about overflow parking? My old HOA had an overflow parking area that they allowed trailers to be stored.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 or 2 car garage? What about keeping the trailer in the garage next to the RZR?
I am looking into this now.
I do have space for the RZR, but my door height is only 7'. Maybe I could push the trailer into the garage and drive the RZR on while inside...? The ceiling height is about 10' once inside.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Another option, depending on what your tow vehicle is. DiamondBack bed cover. This is how I brought mine home from the dealer and have went to the trails a few times with. Usually I have 2 atvs up there though. If you have a truck and live where a trailer is not an option, this would be very appealing.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sit on the HOA board and change the rules to allow certain trailers to be kept in the driveway.

Otherwise, rent a stall and keep the enclosed trailer and rig there. Same as if you had bought a huge toyhauler and didn’t have a few acres to store it.

Or more honestly, MOVE! I hated my HOA. It’s tough to uproot, but man was it worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another option, depending on what your tow vehicle is. DiamondBack bed cover. This is how I brought mine home from the dealer and have went to the trails a few times with. Usually I have 2 atvs up there though. If you have a truck and live where a trailer is not an option, this would be very appealing.

Tow vehicle is a GMC Yukon.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Tow vehicle is a GMC Yukon.
Hmmmm, I would have a hard time using a storage unit and enclosed trailer. Those things are stolen way too often around here. WAY more than a camper is. Putting a trailer and UTV in your garage, even if possible, is going to have it's own challenges. Maybe upgrading to a truck would be cheaper than moving? Lol. You are kinda in a pickle there...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Personally I'd never do it, that's a lot of weight hanging from your floor joists (not to mention other dangers), but since you have 10' ceilings in your garage with 7' doors, that means you have 3' of vertical storage space above your vehicles....

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
2,173 Posts
2 seat?

With a small enough trailer that you can move around by hand, I would think you could get it to fit in the garage like you say, put the trailer in with the tongue opposite the door, then drive the rzr on in the garage. You need a 10' deck on the trailer, so with the tongue you'd be about 13'....I would have to hope your garage is at least that long, i'd assume longer even, so you get it further away from the door...might also depend on how the door opens and the garage door opener if you have one.... if you have a 20' deep garage...you might also just be able to park the front wheels on the trailer to be able to close the door too...

i'd recommend getting a trailer with rear jacks too if you plan on loading that way...prevent any catastrophes...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Personally I'd never do it, that's a lot of weight hanging from your floor joists (not to mention other dangers), but since you have 10' ceilings in your garage with 7' doors, that means you have 3' of vertical storage space above your vehicles....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOl_6e9LYVo
I store my kayak and trailer against my ceiling with a homemade setup similar to this. The whole thing weights about 500lbs and all works great. Not sure I would hang a 1000lb trailer up there though. It could be done, but I doubt you have access to your trusses for solid attachment.

Doubtful you can drive it onto a trailer inside the garage, I tried that and I have an 8ft door and 10.5' ceiling. The door has to be up to drive in, and that puts the door in the way to go up. Might be able to get the front wheels up, but even that would be pretty tight.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts