Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to trade in my 16 900s for a 4 seater. My expanding family has allowed me the opportunity to upgrade but I can’t decide between the XP1000 4 seater or the XP1000 turbo 4. I do mostly trail riding in the south east. Would I be wasting my money on a turbo or does it really make the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP aka: The Bomb
80 Posts
Drive a turbo machine. They make a HUGE difference, even on the low end. The small, high revving motors spool up the turbos instantly. You will feel the difference off the line, and definitely climbing.

They are nothing like a car or truck turbo that spools and lags. The extra power is there to make you smile when you press the long skinny one.

I was skeptical. I was actively not wanting a turbo. We are new to the high performance/sport sxs. We drove the Teryx, Talon, YXZ, and the Pro XP. The others were nice, and I would have been happy to have any of them...until we drove the pro.

I stomped the gas, the engine roared, it felt like it might so a wheelie. I looked over at my wife, and she had a huge smile on her face. When I let out of it she says we’re buying this one!

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,573 Posts
This gets debated often, so you can pretty easily find all the arguments pro and con. The net always come down to this:

The turbo is a little more money up front, has a better tranny (among other things), more resale, and more fun. I know of a lot of guys that have upgraded to turbo. I know of none that have gone back down later.

If you really want pages and pages of back and forth, as will hopefully not occur here, a quick search will give you years of discussion. I'd limit a search to the last two years.

Another tell, particullarly if you do look back at older posts, is the ratio of experienced guys saying "go right to the turbo".

Do think twice about thinking about the Pro's. Beautiful machines, and may in time be great decisions. But my lord the amount of problems we see here relative to old style. Lots of teething, fitments, and parts interoperability challenges. The one I ride with a bit hasn't been all that happy. Does look sweet though.

Less clear is what suspension to get: I went Walker and began upgrading. I still think that's the best path. But there is more room for debate there. Some guys want to buy it and ride it, and Dynamax is the way to go then. Certainly the stock WE rides like a dump truck. But it's an incredible value too, so..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Certainly the stock WE rides like a dump truck. But it's an incredible value too, so..
This is funny. Not in an insulting way, but it made me laugh.

i have the stock WE suspension and I love the way it rides. But, then again, I upgraded from a 2006 Rhino. Sounds like I need a test drive in one with a suspension upgrade, so I can find something else to put on the wish list.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I will give you my take/ opinion...
I wanted a turbo but I bought just before the 2020s came or during the transition. So there were only certain RZRs available at my dealer. They had rebates on the 2019s but were all out of turbo's. I was impatient and stupid...so i bought the XP4 1000.

Now after a yr and wanting to upgrade things, I'm kicking myself for not getting a turbo from the start.

Yes, my xp does everything i need. It feels lugged going up steep long hills at times. Turbo's aren't needed but might put a bigger smile on your face and give you everything you want.

It may be different for you in the SE, but I'm at extreme elevation and a turbo could be more beneficial.

Let me ask you this, because it's how i feel between naturally aspirated and turbos...
How do you drive your car or truck? Do you ease into it and gradually get up to speed...or to you like to get to speed right away?
Here in Colorado, that's the difference. Non turbo gradually get up in speed even if you are floored...turbo just gets up and goes.
Turbo would also be better if you slow down for something and just want to punch it coming back out. Non turbo doesn't have that same instant power.

If you're just out joy riding with the family, non turbo is great.

I think the cost difference of a turbo rzr is roughly $3000? Better to have it than not have it and wished you did.
Waste of money, hell no.

As dafish said... turbo has a better/ stronger transmission less prone for failure...better clutches, clutch housing, bigger front brakes...not sure what else.

Reactions: FF1822

·
Registered
590 Posts
This is funny. Not in an insulting way, but it made me laugh.

i have the stock WE suspension and I love the way it rides. But, then again, I upgraded from a 2006 Rhino. Sounds like I need a test drive in one with a suspension upgrade, so I can find something else to put on the wish list.
You have no idea what you are missing out on.

You need to at least change your springs and change to a dual rate design (adds crossover rings)

Lumber wagon or caddilac...you choose.
When i had walker evans shocks it was good for the first ride or 2. Then it seemed i could feel more bumps/ rocks and could feel it in my back more.

We started camping/ riding in a rockier area. I could feel every little rock and had to creep over the larger rocks.
Rode in my brother 2020 x3 max... couldn't feel anything. The larger rocks you could barely feel and he didn't have to slow down for any of it.

So, i wanted to get shock therapy springs...after watching several of their videos and doing the math... I chose to dump my walker evans shocks and get the fox RC2s. They are custom valved snd sprung for my rzr and my riding. I sold my walker evans, so the upgrade was minimal... basically around $700 in a sense and i now have 2.5" shocks up front instead of 2".
My RZR rides similar to my brothers x3 now.

Back on point, if you just do springs on your walker evans, it will mske a huge difference in your ride quality and performance.
I could ramble on for much longer to go over different things and situations and what not... But better not.

FYI, factory springs and valving will not last very long. Depending on driving location/style...1500-2000 miles according to ST. Many people probably think everything is fine as long as they aren't leaking...not the case. Factory springs will continue to sag, calling for continual adjustments...which leads to harsher ride.

I can already see my buddies xpt4 sagging at just over 1000 miles. He always complains about his back hurting and goes slow over the rough stuff...where we don't have to slow down.

But as long as you're happy is all that matters

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know your budget, but a turbo xp is a nice machine, but if you can swing the pro ultimate it's the way to go. If nobody thought that a first year machine wasn't going to have teething problems there nuts. I always wait for the second model year by then all the updates have been figured out. The dynamix and the comfort on the pro ultimate is worth it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
You have no idea what you are missing out on.

You need to at least change your springs and change to a dual rate design (adds crossover rings)

Lumber wagon or caddilac...you choose.
When i had walker evans shocks it was good for the first ride or 2. Then it seemed i could feel more bumps/ rocks and could feel it in my back more.

We started camping/ riding in a rockier area. I could feel every little rock and had to creep over the larger rocks.
Rode in my brother 2020 x3 max... couldn't feel anything. The larger rocks you could barely feel and he didn't have to slow down for any of it.

So, i wanted to get shock therapy springs...after watching several of their videos and doing the math... I chose to dump my walker evans shocks and get the fox RC2s. They are custom valved snd sprung for my rzr and my riding. I sold my walker evans, so the upgrade was minimal... basically around $700 in a sense and i now have 2.5" shocks up front instead of 2".
My RZR rides similar to my brothers x3 now.

Back on point, if you just do springs on your walker evans, it will mske a huge difference in your ride quality and performance.
I could ramble on for much longer to go over different things and situations and what not... But better not.

FYI, factory springs and valving will not last very long. Depending on driving location/style...1500-2000 miles according to ST. Many people probably think everything is fine as long as they aren't leaking...not the case. Factory springs will continue to sag, calling for continual adjustments...which leads to harsher ride.

I can already see my buddies xpt4 sagging at just over 1000 miles. He always complains about his back hurting and goes slow over the rough stuff...where we don't have to slow down.

But as long as you're happy is all that matters
Well, I was happy, but thanks to you I am not. After reading what you said, I did a search for springs on here. I read a very long thread about the tender springs sagging. So out I went to the garage with my tape measure. Lo and behold, I only have 10.5” clearance in the rear.

I remember on our new year’s day riding bottoming out a few times.

And now that you mention it, I do feel the rocks.

Point made. Advice taken. I ordered a full set of shock therapy springs.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Well, I was happy, but thanks to you I am not. After reading what you said, I did a search for springs on here. I read a very long thread about the tender springs sagging. So out I went to the garage with my tape measure. Lo and behold, I only have 10.5” clearance in the rear.

I remember on our new year’s day riding bottoming out a few times.

And now that you mention it, I do feel the rocks.

Point made. Advice taken. I ordered a full set of shock therapy springs.
Isn't that what we are here for...to spend other people's 💰😁

That definitely wasn't my intention. As long as the valving is working, you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference. It should be night and day.

If you haven't already, you should watch some of their videos... they should have a video that shows you a starting point for setting them up..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Isn't that what we are here for...to spend other people's 💰😁

That definitely wasn't my intention. As long as the valving is working, you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference. It should be night and day.

If you haven't already, you should watch some of their videos... they should have a video that shows you a starting point for setting them up..
It’s all good. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Learning what I don’t know that I don’t know is the best thing about this site.

Plus, I have an awesome wife that loves to ride, so $800 is no biggie.
After riding in WV on Christmas in 14 degree weather she told me to get the upper doors and heater ordered. Spent $2k that day.
Anyone that ever said this was a cheap hobby is a liar.

·
Registered
964 Posts
1000xp turbo 4 seater?

Is this a new 2021 model or something?

·
Registered
590 Posts
It’s all good. Ignorance is bliss, right?

Learning what I don’t know that I don’t know is the best thing about this site.

Plus, I have an awesome wife that loves to ride, so $800 is no biggie.
After riding in WV on Christmas in 14 degree weather she told me to get the upper doors and heater ordered. Spent $2k that day.
Anyone that ever said this was a cheap hobby is a liar.
I wish my wife felt the same...she thinks I'm always just wasting money.
She won't even acknowledge the rzr in the garage as she parks next to it every day🤣

My wife would never say...you need to order this for the RZR... some of you have some great wives.
My wife says... what did you order now??? I say, nothing...turns out to be something her or my son ordered and just has my name on it🤦🏽🤷🏾🤣

I ship all RZR orders to my brothers hahahaha😉

·
Registered
80 Posts
Half the time my wife calls it her rzr. I do have a raptor too, but the rzr was technically MY birthday present.

She is awesome. Loves to go riding, and doesn’t mind getting muddy. She doesn’t mind driving if I am on the raptor, but she prefers me to drive her around which is great for me. I hate being a passenger.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I hear you on not liking to be the passenger...i have to share riding with my 17yr old son😏

I was thinking about building an RS1 just for me😁...but realistically, that's not going to happen.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I will give you my take/ opinion...
I wanted a turbo but I bought just before the 2020s came or during the transition. So there were only certain RZRs available at my dealer. They had rebates on the 2019s but were all out of turbo's. I was impatient and stupid...so i bought the XP4 1000.

Now after a yr and wanting to upgrade things, I'm kicking myself for not getting a turbo from the start.

Yes, my xp does everything i need. It feels lugged going up steep long hills at times. Turbo's aren't needed but might put a bigger smile on your face and give you everything you want.

It may be different for you in the SE, but I'm at extreme elevation and a turbo could be more beneficial.

Let me ask you this, because it's how i feel between naturally aspirated and turbos...
How do you drive your car or truck? Do you ease into it and gradually get up to speed...or to you like to get to speed right away?
Here in Colorado, that's the difference. Non turbo gradually get up in speed even if you are floored...turbo just gets up and goes.
Turbo would also be better if you slow down for something and just want to punch it coming back out. Non turbo doesn't have that same instant power.

If you're just out joy riding with the family, non turbo is great.

I think the cost difference of a turbo rzr is roughly $3000? Better to have it than not have it and wished you did.
Waste of money, hell no.

As dafish said... turbo has a better/ stronger transmission less prone for failure...better clutches, clutch housing, bigger front brakes...not sure what else.
Not better clutches anymore, all the turbos have the new exploding clutches, can't really count that as an upgrade.
But I certainly don't regret going the turbo route. We have several friends we ride with that regret we bought one and they didn't think they wanted one, now they wish they had spent the little extra.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Not better clutches anymore, all the turbos have the new exploding clutches, can't really count that as an upgrade.
But I certainly don't regret going the turbo route. We have several friends we ride with that regret we bought one and they didn't think they wanted one, now they wish they had spent the little extra.
Yeah, add me to that list... that's what I get for being impatient and stupid. Still love my turtle though. I'm probably just going to do a supercharger kit.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Ill try and keep this short. We have a newer xpt in the group and ive run him in my rs1 on 32’s. Now its not exact apple to apple but the rs1 is same trans as the xpt. Hes on factory tires but I did a gear reduction. And no, just bc its a single seat does not make it lighter. He only gets me on the top end of things. I can stay w him through half the runs, be it low or high.
-Now with all that said, gears are cheaper than turbos.
-Turbos have better aftermarket support bc of the turbo
-if it were me and doin a 4 seat, overall id rather have a turbo for the extra umph of 4 ppl weight and THEN if i needed more, either a tune or gears.
Currently i can do a tune and gears, but to get a turba id have to spend quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
285 Posts
Only 2 reason I can see to NOT get the turbo:

1) You ABSOLUTELY can't spend the extra money at purchase (when I bought mine, the turbo was only $1500 more)
2) Gas mileage and availability is a priority or problem, 91/93 octane does have limited availability in some areas and non-turbos get more distance on a full tank

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
This gets debated often, so you can pretty easily find all the arguments pro and con. The net always come down to this:

The turbo is a little more money up front, has a better tranny (among other things), more resale, and more fun. I know of a lot of guys that have upgraded to turbo. I know of none that have gone back down later.

If you really want pages and pages of back and forth, as will hopefully not occur here, a quick search will give you years of discussion. I'd limit a search to the last two years.

Another tell, particullarly if you do look back at older posts, is the ratio of experienced guys saying "go right to the turbo".

Do think twice about thinking about the Pro's. Beautiful machines, and may in time be great decisions. But my lord the amount of problems we see here relative to old style. Lots of teething, fitments, and parts interoperability challenges. The one I ride with a bit hasn't been all that happy. Does look sweet though.

Less clear is what suspension to get: I went Walker and began upgrading. I still think that's the best path. But there is more room for debate there. Some guys want to buy it and ride it, and Dynamax is the way to go then. Certainly the stock WE rides like a dump truck. But it's an incredible value too, so..
I'm still not getting the hate for the Pro and its so called first year run issues? I agree a lot of first year products have a few bugs, but what has the Pro had that would steer anyone away from it? The clutch issue is true of all turbo models.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts