Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XP4 Turbo S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking about getting some traction boards. I’m usually pretty careful and don’t go mudd’n with my machine very much, however I know the unexpected can happen. The other day my son and I were in a very remote area and got into some very soft ground and mud. Lucky we were Able to dig it out. If not, it would have been a long, long walk. This got me thinking about bringing some traction boards.

Anyone have a set they recommend? I want something compact as it will just be for the rzr. I’ve seen some short utv boards but are they too short?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would probably invest in winch extension lines first. unless you are up on the tundra or open prairie with no trees around. even then you can carry a folding shovel and bury you spare tire or something else to make an anchor.

Best thing to do is not ride solo unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not to much to add to this:

I would probably invest in winch extension lines first. unless you are up on the tundra or open prairie with no trees around. even then you can carry a folding shovel and bury you spare tire or something else to make an anchor.

Best thing to do is not ride solo unless absolutely necessary.
However, I'll elaborate a little bit:
We (my awesome fiancé and I) ride solo a lot. It's our recovery time. We both have "people involved" day jobs. We ended up going w/ 2 machines so "everyone gets some fun" when our "Brady bunch" is together.
Our machines get a winch 1st thing. They are cheap, weigh nothing (SATV 6,000 # w/ mounts is 30 #, yes I weighed it).
2 machines do not always help other than using the 2nd to go get assistance. We got into a spot w/ the Pioneer (we just sold it) where the RZRZ 570 was no use as the Pioneer had the trial blocked. The winch, 3 desert scrubs grouped together (amazing root system) and recovery strap provided the solution.
When we ride w/ one or both machines, we are as prepared as possible, even for "just a couple hours". Lots of water, food, cell phones w/ a map of the area down loaded, GPS along with tools, jack etc, etc.
After one adventure that involved one machine, a self induced mechanical failure and a 2 hour mountainous hike to cell service we added the sat phone.

·
Registered
2019 XP4 Turbo S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Capt&Kaos. Thanks for the replies. I agree with what both of you said. I guess I should have elaborated. I do go with others when I can but sometimes you go solo. Not my first choice.

I cary ridged lock box’s outfitted with 2 gallons of water, power bars, MREs, tools, belts, compressor and other safety/survival gear. I also have a satellite tracker linked to a pre designated third party. I have a wench working on instal as the first attempt location did not work so looking at other options.

The traction boards/ mat is in addition to all that. I’m just exploring options and wondering if anyone carries them. When we got stuck the other day, lucky there were materials around to scavenge that we used. Absent that it could have been a long day. I stopped rotating the tires before I got really stuck. If I had tracks with me it would have prob been very easy to back out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
The traction boards work great.
Any particular brand or style you would recommend ?
I 'm interested in this for winter in deep snow

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I don’t own a set yet but my Dad and another guy I know both have the cheap Amazon sets and have had no issues. I’ll be getting a set shortly after having the opportunity to use them and see them in action.

·
Premium Member
3,808 Posts
@SNWMBL thanks...I'm going to order a set

·
Registered
2019 XP4 Turbo S
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was looking at the shorter set. 22” vs. 42”. They will be easier to carry. But I have not decided yet still looking into things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2009 rzr 800 converted to S width , WE shocks , 3 inch lift
516 Posts
Y'all just need bigger tires 🤣
I ran bunch of Alaska , Eureka Lodge , Kings River , Sutton , Jims Creek Rzr 800s width on 25x9 and10x12 . Had no problem just had to keep moving . Just put Big Horn 26x10x12 and 26x12x12. No ride yet too busy...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts