Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been thinking about getting tracks for one of my RZR's. I've read everything I could find and I still cant make up my mind. If it were your machine, why/why not, would you get them? Which brand makes the best? Which are the best deal? If I get some, which vendor should I buy them from? Thanks, Marc PS I do mostly mud/sandy trails (and snow in the winter), no rocks, so please consider that in your opinion

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think your speed is much slower with tracks, but they look cool, and I would think you could go through anything.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
WOW, This is a Monster of a subject...OK for starters "Polaris" doesnt recommend putting them on the RAZR??? Yeah I know makes no sense to me either, But I spend enouph time with the owner of Polaris up here in Anchorage to get all kinds of info..Clearance can be an issue..Now if your running an LT kit or an "S" model you "should" be ok, Clutch work will need to be done and If your question is "where should I buy them" I would really buy those from the dealer..one word ..WARANTEE!!! But they run just fine if you set them up right..If I was staying in Alaska I would already have mine purchased and mounted as we are less than 30 days from our permanant snow being here! If you need specific Questions answered about fit and adjustments just PM me, I will get the info you need...
Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i have a stock suspension setup so it sounds like clearance will be a problem. Can tracks even be used for all around trail riding or would I be terribly unhappy with the ride? How durable are they? Can you still do most of the "regular" stuff you do with tracks or are these no substitute for wheels and tires? Thanks for your replies

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Thanks guys, i have a stock suspension setup so it sounds like clearance will be a problem. Can tracks even be used for all around trail riding or would I be terribly unhappy with the ride? How durable are they? Can you still do most of the "regular" stuff you do with tracks or are these no substitute for wheels and tires? Thanks for your replies
I hope you intend on using them in the snow and not like the guys mudding with them on YouTube...They will last you all of a week at the most doing that! In the snow they are great..You can go almost anywhere a snow Machine can (with a lot less power of course) so dont think your going to be "king of the hill" but for being in the snow and running on the frozen lakes they are a blast!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I own tracks from Polaris Prospector pro S.

I have only run them for two miles so I can not really comment on performance too much.

The dealer installed them and I got my new RZR with them on and ran them in an area of woods near the house then took them off until the snow flys.

For that short time I felt they were tight and steered without a problem.

I agree with Waszak in getting Polaris products for warranty reasons.

I will be putting them back on soon before snow fall just to run then and check performance.

Nothing was ever said to me or explained to me about clutch work or anything about them not being reccomended for a Razor tho.

Thats the first time I heard that Mike so maybe you can elaborate........thanx

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I guess that answers that. I was planning on using them for everything. Since we don't have snow quite yet I was planning on improving my "mudding game" with a set, then using them in the snow and then back to the mud. Glad i asked first, seems mine would have lasted a week...

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
I own tracks from Polaris Prospector pro S.

I have only run them for two miles so I can not really comment on performance too much.

The dealer installed them and I got my new RZR with them on and ran them in an area of woods near the house then took them off until the snow flys.

For that short time I felt they were tight and steered without a problem.

I agree with Waszak in getting Polaris products for warranty reasons.

I will be putting them back on soon before snow fall just to run then and check performance.

Nothing was ever said to me or explained to me about clutch work or anything about them not being reccomended for a Razor tho.

Thats the first time I heard that Mike so maybe you can elaborate........thanx
I'll be down there tomorrow and get the exact spec for you..You can run them with the stock clutching its just what RPM do you want these puppies moving, Like are you plowing or just out fun riding..There was a lot more to these tracks than I thought..The guys mudding them are either really good at making parts or "lieing" about what happened for warantee reasons, or they are making there own parts...you get a few rocks in there and ouch..and since you own a set you can see what I am talking about..The last thing you want are those filled with mudd, pepples and rocks...I wouldnt doubt if most of those videos were literally one or 2 time videos..because I checked out the guys who posted them...and they never posted more than one or two with tracks..then nothing but wheels??? probably just destroyed them...Fixed em up and sold them or are going to actually wait for snow!!
Mike

·
Registered
388 Posts
Just riding no plowing I gotta nother ATV for plowing so Im just gonna run em in snow.

These are suppose to be improved and be able to mud with them but I would rather wait a few seasons before attempting that and wear the new of em.

But Dirt Traxx did a show on em recently and it was a positive review.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have tracks on my kawi 650 atv and love them, they do decrease speed by quite a bit and are definetly hard on clutch parts but they are a blast. You don't have to have high horsepower to turn them but it is a benefit, I have the kimpex commander widetrack and love them in the snow, as for summer use a good set of oversized tires and some clutch work and i think you would benefit more than tracks. If i was to track my rzr the first thing would be some aggresive clutching to get rid of any slip, the problem is what gear to drive it in, any kind of powder you will be in low range all the time and there is no track speed but in high range theres the killer of all clutch parts is major heat being generated from the additional strain. The rzr has the power to turn them but they add roughly 400lbs to the machine with the tracks and hardware, not to mention the snow cakes everywhere adding even more weight. As for buying them, try atvtracks.net they have good pricing and know what there talking about.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Don't have any personal experience, but when I was discussing the issue with my Polaris dealer they slammed the Polaris brand tracks saying they are nothing but problems. They recommended the aftermarket. Don't know if this helps or causes more confusion. LOL

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Just riding no plowing I gotta nother ATV for plowing so Im just gonna run em in snow.

These are suppose to be improved and be able to mud with them but I would rather wait a few seasons before attempting that and wear the new of em.

But Dirt Traxx did a show on em recently and it was a positive review.
I follow the trax for snow, I was unaware that they had a set for muddin' do you have a link? The Polaris brand tax are made for snow and that's what I was referring to (I shouldn't day Polaris brand since I doubt Polaris even makes them)..

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
WOW, This is a Monster of a subject...OK for starters "Polaris" doesnt recommend putting them on the RAZR??? Yeah I know makes no sense to me either, But I spend enouph time with the owner of Polaris up here in Anchorage to get all kinds of info..Clearance can be an issue..Now if your running an LT kit or an "S" model you "should" be ok, Clutch work will need to be done and If your question is "where should I buy them" I would really buy those from the dealer..one word ..WARANTEE!!! But they run just fine if you set them up right..If I was staying in Alaska I would already have mine purchased and mounted as we are less than 30 days from our permanant snow being here! If you need specific Questions answered about fit and adjustments just PM me, I will get the info you need...
Mike
-I've never heard from anybody that Polaris doesn't recommend them for their own gear. They sell them specifically for the RZR.

-I "heard" the opposite, that the S is not the preferred setup and that the Standard RZR is the way to go for tracks. There is no "clearance" issues I've ever heard of with the Soucy tracks sold for the machine from Polaris.

-Polaris warranty is only good for a year, maybe six months on these tracks since they are considered an "accessory"; regardless if you bought them on a new machine with the extended warranty.

-You can go through all kind of slop and mud, rocks whatever you want with the Polaris tracks. Soucy is a major track manufacturer used by Polaris designed for their drive system. The tracks have a grease fitting so you can pump them clean after using them in mud and lots of water. They're pretty heavy duty unit.

-I have put hundreds of miles on my Prospector Pro-S tracks on an XP850 with NO problems. Intend to mount them to my RZR without problems as well.

-Your ride will suffer as well as your top speed, but it's not about speed. 30mph on tracks is moving along. You'll know you're doing it. Ride deteriorates with speed, as you can imagine. Use them primarily for the snow and the spring. When you can run tires swap them out.

The sprockets are geared lower and they have tremendous traction and low end. I've also never heard of the clutch work required. No idea on that one, and have no intentions of doing any for the tracks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so now i am interested again after reading the newer replies. So, is there or isnt there a brand that i can use in the mud regularly without destroying them? if there is, i want some. if there is a vendor on this forum that sells tracks that will survive long-term in the mud, PM me and i will try to work out a deal with you. i am really confused right now. some of you are saying i cant do what i want to do and some of you are saying i will have no problem.....whats the truth here guys? anyone with personal experience?

·
Registered
284 Posts
so now i am interested again after reading the newer replies. So, is there or isnt there a brand that i can use in the mud regularly without destroying them? if there is, i want some. if there is a vendor on this forum that sells tracks that will survive long-term in the mud, PM me and i will try to work out a deal with you. i am really confused right now. some of you are saying i cant do what i want to do and some of you are saying i will have no problem.....whats the truth here guys? anyone with personal experience?
This is my choice for 4 season Tracks...Camoplast makes tracks for the
snowmobile manufacturers and Grooming Equipment too.

ATV Track System Solutions - TATOU UTV - Track system for UTV - TATOU - Camoplast - Description

·
Registered
388 Posts
^^^^^^^That is the system that polaris sold me and I will be putting them through trials in the months to come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to chime in here also. I live and hunt in Alaska, I run Tatou 4S UTV's on my RZR and flat love them (summer and winter ) That being said there are a few things you need to keep in mind.

1. On rocky trails, and where there a large roots across the trails you need to take it SLOW! the back tracks will climb over most things as long as you watch closely and go over slowly.

2. As much as possible run in high gear. I find that if you hit something in high while going slow it will stop you before you break something.

3. If you do get stuck, (It's only happened once) stop and winch out, if possible don't spin your tracks it only makes things worse.

I don't have any problems with the tracks rubbing. Only problem so far is I have broken the anti-rotation bolts twice but both times I was in low gear in deep mud and the track went under a root that I could not see.
Good Luck and I' say go for it!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts