Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at toyhaulers 5th wheels that are 1/2 ton towable. I have been looking at Dune Sport and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them. They are based in Arizona.tell me the good and bad

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
1/2 ton is too light. 3/4 or 1 ton is by far better and more stable. Plus a longbed crew cab is better too. Shortbed's or cab only trucks are not as good for hauling heavier or long trailers.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Yes you can tow with 1/2 ton if you do these things, install weight distributing hitch, brake controller (mandatory) and most important check your pull weight ( trailer, RZR, and supplies in trailer) against pulling specs of truck. Also a big consideration is location, if you have to pull hills each time or occasionally. Are 3/4 or 1 tons better, absolutely, but that's because of pulling power only, not stopping. Check out Dumont Dune riders, their is a good article on this subject.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been looking at toyhaulers 5th wheels that are 1/2 ton towable. I have been looking at Dune Sport and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them. They are based in Arizona.tell me the good and bad
There are some nice 1/2 ton towable toy haulers out there but due to the light towing capability of your truck you won't be able to carry extra stuff with you, like possibly your friends or family. If your toy is a motorcycle or ATV then your truck will work. However, it won't take long before you realize you need an upgrade. If you have a heavier sxs in the back then you will be upgrading sooner than expected. Engine and trans oil changes will need to be more frequent just to keep a reasonable life expectancy from your truck. Go get the trailer you want and have fun but start planning for the future.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes you can tow with 1/2 ton if you do these things, install weight distributing hitch, brake controller (mandatory) and most important check your pull weight ( trailer, RZR, and supplies in trailer) against pulling specs of truck. Also a big consideration is location, if you have to pull hills each time or occasionally. Are 3/4 or 1 tons better, absolutely, but that's because of pulling power only, not stopping. Check out Dumont Dune riders, their is a good article on this subject.
This makes no sense to me. I have yet to see a weight distribution hitch for 5th wheels, but maybe the exist.

The "pulling power" is the exact same between the vehicle assuming they have the same engine and gearing. A half ton with a Duramax and 3:73 gears will have the same power as a 1 ton equally equipped.

Weight rating and stopping power is where 3/4, 1 ton and 1 ton dually make a difference. The bigger trucks typically have heavier braking systems on them as they are made for pulling heavier loads. I know for a fact the braking system on my 1 ton is way heavier then any 1/2 ton I have ever had. My front rotor is 40lbs.......

·
Registered
219 Posts
As others have said you are going to be limited by overall weight. For example, I looked at that website real quick. First you need to make sure you do not exceed the pin weight on your truck, which will be a challenge.

Those 5th wheels have a 100 gallon water tank, how full are you going to keep it? Water weighs 8.2lb/gallon so that is over 800lbs. How much does 2 propane bottles weigh? Do those units have a fuel station? How much do your "living" supplies (clothes, food, dishes, etc) weigh?

You might takes some time reading on RV boards as they have very detailed info about this subject.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had thought about this too. I decided that there was no way I was going to pull a fifth wheel with my 1500. It’s just not worth it in the end. Get a 2500 at the very least.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Y’all make some great points but you’re talking to an old man that has never owned anything other than a half ton. I’ve hauled 4 house goosenecks with roping horses, 20’ gooseneck stock trailer loaded with cattle in various weather conditions and terrain and never had an issue with towing power or stopping ability.
But considering all your input I believe a class C might be in my future with a tow trailer so can haul momma’s RZR 800 and my quad.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
House kinda answered the question for you, take it from someone with experience first had. I would still weight everything and keep it as light as possible such as full tanks of water,gas, etc. It is true the heavier trucks have beefier braking systems that matters going down extremely long downhill grades, just use low gear early as always on descending.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a lightweight toyhauler and started with a 1/2 ton. It was going to be a slow death of the truck here in Az. I now have a 3/4 ton ram and will never look back.

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
Regardless of what ANY manufacturer says, 5th TH and 1/2 ton trucks don't play well together. I've towed just about every kind of setup imaginable short of HDTs. Anyone who says "My 1/2 ton tows great" does not know what they don't know.

·
Registered
2019 Polaris 900 EPS TRAIL 50
65 Posts
This makes no sense to me. I have yet to see a weight distribution hitch for 5th wheels, but maybe the exist.

The "pulling power" is the exact same between the vehicle assuming they have the same engine and gearing. A half ton with a Duramax and 3:73 gears will have the same power as a 1 ton equally equipped.

Weight rating and stopping power is where 3/4, 1 ton and 1 ton dually make a difference. The bigger trucks typically have heavier braking systems on them as they are made for pulling heavier loads. I know for a fact the braking system on my 1 ton is way heavier then any 1/2 ton I have ever had. My front rotor is 40lbs.......
Most heavier trailers have electric braking or surge brakes systems. The pulling trucks aren't affected very much with the trailer braking systems. I have a tandem pontoon trailer with surge braking. Most the braking is done by the pontoon trailer's surge system and not the puller vehicle. I highly recommend the manufacturer towing package.. with a V8 and crew cab.

·
Registered
2019 Polaris 900 EPS TRAIL 50
65 Posts
There are a number of nice 1/2tT toy haulers out now. I ordered a 2021 Forest River GREY WOLF 26MBRR, that are made for 1/2 ton trucks. My truck is a 2020 Fordf F150 4dr crew cab with a 5.5ft box. It model is an FX4, offroad, higher clearance, heavier shocks, payload 1806lbs. Its has a factory med heavy tow package. 395hp coyote V8, 10 speed tranny with tow and haul mode, 3.55 positive traction rear gears. Tow hitch will handle 1050 lb load. Electric trailer brakes. Max truck weight 7000lbs, empty 5200 lbs.

The toy hauler weights empty 5400 lbs, loaded 7700lbs. Rzr 900 trail empty weights 1150. The main difference between a F150 vs F250 is the 250 uses a 3.73 rear gears. That rear end ratio is not offered in a F150.

I agree a 3/4T would be a better tow vehicle but I'm not buying another truck!! Some of you talk about the tow vehicle brakes BUT that only applies to a toy hauler without any brakes system. I wouldn't buy a toy hauler without factory brakes or a 1/2 ton without a factory towing package. You need both along with a equalizer distributing hitch w/ stabilizers.

·
Super Moderator
5,473 Posts
Playing Devils advocate for a min.

F-150 with a payload capacity of 1806lbs

Toy Hauler loaded of 7700lbs - ~15% tongue weight = 1155lbs

=651lbs payload left for passengers, gear, fuels, etc...

The main difference between a F150 vs F250 is the 250 uses a 3.73 rear gears.
No, the main difference is it's a completely different truck, light duty vs heavy duty. They are not in the same league.

Some of you talk about the tow vehicle brakes BUT that only applies to a toy hauler without any brakes system
The tow vehicle needs to be able to stop the load WITHOUT trailer brakes. I have seen many times where trailer brakes have overheated and failed.

·
Registered
165 Posts
What Joe says about brakes is true. Most trailers are crap and under built. This goes for what they can carry and their brakes. The manufacture numbers are usually manipulated making them appear lighter. If your traveling down a long steep grade you could over heat your brakes easily and start getting fade or worse failure. Most 3/4 diesel trucks not only have larger brakes but transmission and engine braking. Makes a world of difference. Me personally, I prefer to play it safe and overbuild when lives are at stake. To have it if you need it.

With that said if your only going to be towing short distances and not much hills, you could get away with a lighter truck I suppose. But keep in mind it’s not the accumulation of close calls, It’s that one time that matters.

Enjoy your rzr!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Most heavier trailers have electric braking or surge brakes systems. The pulling trucks aren't affected very much with the trailer braking systems. I have a tandem pontoon trailer with surge braking. Most the braking is done by the pontoon trailer's surge system and not the puller vehicle. I highly recommend the manufacturer towing package.. with a V8 and crew cab.
Obviously you can pull with what you want.

You are correct that trailers have braking systems, however the electric brakes that come on most trailers are not the same as how a truck system works. Yes the trailer brakes are capable of stopping the trailer when they function properly. They are much more susceptible to fade and failure. Sure people tow with their trucks at max rating or over rating all the time, but it only takes once for a life changing event to happen. Maybe it never will for you and I hope it does not. For me I would much rather be over trucked than under trucked. Again it is not for the every day driving, it is for the emergencies. What value you put on your life and the others around you is up to you.

I am not sure how a crew cab effect towing unless you are referring to a longer wheel base. My new truck did not come with crew cab or factory towing package as options, and it is an inline 6, however it is much more capable than my 1 ton DRW Duramax will ever come close to. I do have airbags, a long wheel based and a 30,000 lb allowable pin weight. I should be ok with any toy hauler.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Great conversations, I have loved and towed my toys and other loads in Alaska for 40 years, mostly with a 1/2 ton. Bigger truck better, for sure, but like a RZR‘s best performance is in throttle control. Basically the same with your vehicle, driver control. I tow a ranger, grizzly, and loaded meat trailer over the long Tompson Pass for years. I drive slower and use low gears for the 7 mile downhill, barely using brakes. I have also had to do sudden braking with moose popping up, so far so good. Bigger better, yes, but driver awareness is the key.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts