Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at buying a toy hauler travel trailer. Most of the ones I see have a sink that appears to be in the way for a rzr to fit in width wise. I don’t want a huge one length wise. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
It all depends on what RZR you have and what your tow vehicle is to know what kind of TH will work. Too many variables and not enough info.

I have a large TH and my RZR Trail has no problem fitting width wise. If it was much longer my garage would not be large enough.

My buddy has a small TH and a 4 seat Can Am. He has to strap his front wheels together and be just perfect to get it loaded, but it fits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It all depends on what RZR you have and what your tow vehicle is to know what kind of TH will work. Too many variables and not enough info.

I have a large TH and my RZR Trail has no problem fitting width wise. If it was much longer my garage would not be large enough.

My buddy has a small TH and a 4 seat Can Am. He has to strap his front wheels together and be just perfect to get it loaded, but it fits.
Mine is a 900 buying the trailer first then figuring out the truck from there. Based on the weight deciding between half ton and 3/4

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the Grand Design Momentum 28G and it works great for me.. 28' long, 16ft garage space (in living quarters) and you definitely need a 3/4 ton or better to pull. I would recomend a gasser over diesel, but that's a whole nother can of worms. ..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Grand Design Momentum 28G and it works great for me.. 28' long, 16ft garage space (in living quarters) and you definitely need a 3/4 ton or better to pull. I would recomend a gasser over diesel, but that's a whole nother can of worms. ..
Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
We have a Wolf Pack 25-12+. 2019 RZR Highlifter fits in but it is tight with the shelving unit in the front. It was better before adding the rear bumper but it still fits.
I did pull the drop down sofas for more room getting in and out with my fender flares though.
cage chop.jpg

Campers new home.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,554 Posts
A word of wisdom from someone who's been through multiple trailer / toy haulers. Buy a toy hauler big enough to support "whatever" you might want in the future. The same goes for the tow vehicle. Nothing worse than buying what fits the current need only to find out in 2 years you need a bigger TH and/or tow vehicle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I word of wisdom from someone who's been through multiple trailer / toy haulers. Buy a toy hauler big enough to support "whatever" you might want in the future. The same goes for the tow vehicle. Nothing worse than buying what fits the current need only to find out in 2 years you need a bigger TH and/or tow vehicle.
This is very sound advice.

I wanted a smaller toy hauler because I only had quads and didn’t see myself getting anything else. fast forward several years and my needs changed. Glad I couldn’t find the smaller toy hauler and bought the one I did because my 4 seater wouldn’t have fit otherwise.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mine is a 900 buying the trailer first then figuring out the truck from there. Based on the weight deciding between half ton and 3/4
I can help that question due to towing things all my life... just go ahead and get the 3/4 ton and use load range E tires. Pulls so much better and safer. I would suggest a 1 ton dually if you can swing it. Dually trucks are so much more stable if you need to make a quick maneuver due to some moron playing on a cell phone.

While a 1/2 ton might be able to handle the load on paper, most folks pull these things down the interstate or around mountain areas. Wind drag is a constant problem you will face. A rzr on an open, flat trailer is about as much as I like to put behind a 1/2 ton on a long trip. I know a lot of guys that struggle pulling a 20 ft. enclosed box trailer with a 1/2 ton. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I can help that question due to towing things all my life... just go ahead and get the 3/4 ton and use load range E tires. Pulls so much better and safer. I would suggest a 1 ton dually if you can swing it. Dually trucks are so much more stable if you need to make a quick maneuver due to some moron playing on a cell phone.

While a 1/2 ton might be able to handle the load on paper, most folks pull these things down the interstate or around mountain areas. Wind drag is a constant problem you will face. A rzr on an open, flat trailer is about as much as I like to put behind a 1/2 ton on a long trip. I know a lot of guys that struggle pulling a 20 ft. enclosed box trailer with a 1/2 ton. Just my opinion.
To add to this, it is not about being able to "pull it", it is about being able to control it and stop it. Those are far more important to me than "pulling it".

While my toy hauler is 40' long and 17,000 GVW and well within the capabilities of my 2016 3500 Dually, I went up to an HDT this year and it is a night and day difference in performance, safety and comfort. Now I have no worries about ever overloading. The other nice thing is that my tow vehicle (~25,000 loaded) weighs more than my trailer (17,000) which adds a lot of comfort.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Salesperson: Your truck will pull this toy hauler with no problem!

Driver: Why can't I stop?!!????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is there a weight distribution

is there a weight distribution hitch that’s recommended?
My father had an equalizer weight distribution/sway control hitch. I helped him tow his trailer from AZ to IN with it. Worked really nicely.
My friend has a Curt and is happy with it. I think the Curt is a bit cheaper price wise. I have no first hand experience with their weight distribution hitches. I have one of their 5th Wheel hitches and am happy with it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I will start by saying I agreee with Nearly Missed - bigger tow vehicle is better and would suggest if you are getting 3/4 - might as well get a 1 ton - new truck both ride about the same, but 350 is a little more capable. 1/2 ton will tow up the 10k per mfg. ratings - but as you move up the weight range - bigger truck is better. Also 7,500 lb boat or open trailer with a RZR is very different to a 7,500 lb enclosed trailer - boat is more areo and less impacted by wind - enclosed trailer is impacted by head winds and can become unstable in side winds - that is when a bigger, heavier truck will be most welcome.

I am running a weigh safe weight distribution hitch - it works great and give you good information - there are other options. Two things to consider with WDH - first is hitch rating (get one with higher rating than weight of trailer) and second does it have built in sway control (weigh safe and Equilizer hitchs do). If it does not then add a sway control arm (see below) or two on either side for added stability. This is a good idea for any hitch pull trailer over 7,000 lbs.

link: True Tow Weight Distribution Hitch - Weigh Safe

Basic sway control - $40 on amazon - you can run one or two (one on each side)
Sway Control Set Up.jpg

I have 2020 1/2 ton GMC AT4 - I was towing a 24' InTech all aluminum enclosed race trailer. It was 29'6" overall lenght - weighed 4,515 empty - loaded with RZR and stuff right about 7,500 lbs. With WDH and sway control it was fine in all conditions, except high cross winds. With 25 mph +/- winds you simply needed to slow down 55 mph, to keep everything in line and know you remained in control. Was it safe yes - would it be better with 3/4 ton or 1 ton - yes - dually even better. But when used intelignely it was not an issue. With my race car closer to 9,500 lbs - it was ok, but bigger truck would be safer. Remember when things go wrong if you don't want the tail wagging the dog - then be sure you got a big dog up front :)

2020 AT4 w - trailers.jpg

I just picked up an 24' ATC all aluminum toy box last week - 6,636 dry - so with RZR and stuff 9,700 lbs - outside edge of the envelope of my 1/2 ton tow rating. Also trailer is a 1' higher off the ground being a toy box (more wind impact). I can tow it with the 1/2 ton, but really need a full size truck. Have a F350 SRW diesel on order - truck will fit the trailer better and add towing safety. Will use same Weigh safe system with sway control - even though likely not needed with 1 ton truck.

Exterior 1.jpg

Tongue jack.jpg

Know what your truck and trailer weight ratings are and be well within the limit and bad things are less likely to happen! Stickers for truck limits on drivers door and on trailers the stickers be in various places, but they are on there. That will give you trailer information you need. And if you are in Calif. once you go over 10k on hitch pull and 15K on 5th wheel you need to upgrade your drivers licenses to include a Class A Endorsment.
Weight Sticker.jpg Trailer Load Stickers.jpg

You are approaching it the right way - good luck and enjoy the journey!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will start by saying I agreee with Nearly Missed - bigger tow vehicle is better and would suggest if you are getting 3/4 - might as well get a 1 ton - new truck both ride about the same, but 350 is a little more capable. 1/2 ton will tow up the 10k per mfg. ratings - but as you move up the weight range - bigger truck is better. Also 7,500 lb boat or open trailer with a RZR is very different to a 7,500 lb enclosed trailer - boat is more areo and less impacted by wind - enclosed trailer is impacted by head winds and can become unstable in side winds - that is when a bigger, heavier truck will be most welcome.

I am running a weigh safe weight distribution hitch - it works great and give you good information - there are other options. Two things to consider with WDH - first is hitch rating (get one with higher rating than weight of trailer) and second does it have built in sway control (weigh safe and Equilizer hitchs do). If it does not then add a sway control arm (see below) or two on either side for added stability. This is a good idea for any hitch pull trailer over 7,000 lbs.

View attachment 676996

I have 2020 1/2 ton GMC AT4 - I was towing a 24' InTech all aluminum enclosed race trailer. It was 29'6" overall lenght - weighed 4,515 empty - loaded with RZR and stuff right about 7,500 lbs. With WDH and sway control it was fine in all conditions, except high cross winds. With 25 mph +/- winds you simply needed to slow down 55 mph, to keep everything in line and know you remained in control. Was it safe yes - would it be better with 3/4 ton or 1 ton - yes - dually even better. But when used intelignely it was not an issue. With my race car closer to 9,500 lbs - it was ok, but bigger truck would be safer. Remember when things go wrong if you don't want the tail wagging the dog - then be sure you got a big dog up front :)

View attachment 676997

I just picked up an 24' ATC all aluminum toy box last week - 6,636 dry - so with RZR and stuff 9,700 lbs - outside edge of the envelope of my 1/2 ton tow rating. Also trailer is a 1' higher off the ground being a toy box (more wind impact). I can tow it with the 1/2 ton, but really need a full size truck. Have a F350 SRW diesel on order - truck will fit the trailer better and add towing safety. Will use same Weigh safe system with sway control - even though likely not needed with 1 ton truck.

View attachment 676998

View attachment 676999

Know what your truck and trailer weight ratings are and be well within the limit and bad things are less likely to happen! Stickers for truck limits on drivers door and on trailers the stickers be in various places, but they are on there. That will give you trailer information you need. And if you are in Calif. once you go over 10k on hitch pull and 15K on 5th wheel you need to upgrade your drivers licenses to include a Class A Endorsment.
View attachment 677000 View attachment 677001

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts

View attachment 676996

View attachment 676997

View attachment 676998

View attachment 676999

View attachment 677000 View attachment 677001

Good explanation. I will second the 3/4 ton when pulling an enclosed/toy hauler. I once had a Tundra, had a 14’ enclosed trailer. With the rzr I assumed it weighed around 5500 lbs. it pulled it, but you definitely knew the load was back there. Winds would make you wish you were at your destination already. The truck pulled it, however it was not comfortable and it got around 9-11 mpg. Couple of years ago we wanted an ATC as well. Bought a 3/4 diesel anticipating the added weight of the new trailer. Sold the enclosed and the Tundra. The 3/4 ton makes life so much easier when towing a parachute down the road at 60 mph. Our 24’ ATC weighs in at just under 6k ready to camp without the rzr. We also run a Weigh Safe hitch and so far it seems to work very well. Everyone makes their own
3E01FFF3-5106-4E43-9755-4FCAB1F59505.jpeg
395FE033-968E-488B-9D58-F08A12397F1F.jpeg
decision, however I can tell ya buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good explanation. I will second the 3/4 ton when pulling an enclosed/toy hauler. I once had a Tundra, had a 14’ enclosed trailer. With the rzr I assumed it weighed around 5500 lbs. it pulled it, but you definitely knew the load was back there. Winds would make you wish you were at your destination already. The truck pulled it, however it was not comfortable and it got around 9-11 mpg. Couple of years ago we wanted an ATC as well. Bought a 3/4 diesel anticipating the added weight of the new trailer. Sold the enclosed and the Tundra. The 3/4 ton makes life so much easier when towing a parachute down the road at 60 mph. Our 24’ ATC weighs in at just under 6k ready to camp without the rzr. We also run a Weigh Safe hitch and so far it seems to work very well. Everyone makes their own View attachment 677005 View attachment 677006 decision, however I can tell ya buy once, cry once.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 57 Posts