Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
noob
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be towing approximately 5 hours down to the Hatfield McCoy Trails in mid-October to do some riding. I haven't used my truck to tow much of anything before and have a few questions about brake controllers. First I will give you the basic details:

Truck: 2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4 w/ 3.73 equiv. gearing. It also has a 6" lift kit and 35" tires.

Trailer: 16' Flatbed, dual axle, with brakes, modified to fit two RZR's

Items being towed: TWO Polaris RZR's, coolers, firewood, etc.

First off, for a 'not-so-often' trip like this, do I really even need to invest in a brake controller?

I have a 7-pin plugin on my truck, will the trailer brakes work with just that alone?

Truck is prewired for the brake controller, so installation of one will be a breeze, however I've noticed that there are several varieties and price points for these things. Which one should I choose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
First of all yes buy a brake controller, You don't want to try stopping 4000#-5000# (guesstimation) with just your truck. This is an updated one from what I got. Just $5 more but the 3 axis idea is great!
https://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=4751&SEName=tekonsha-prodigy-p2
you get the adapter that plugs into your truck directly for free, makes installing it a snap!
Second when are you going and to what trail? I'm heading down Oct 23 to the Rockhouse trail on Hatfield McCoy.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
First of all yes buy a brake controller, You don't want to try stopping 4000#-5000# (guesstimation) with just your truck. This is an updated one from what I got. Just $5 more but the 3 axis idea is great!
https://www.southwestwheel.com/store/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=4751&SEName=tekonsha-prodigy-p2
you get the adapter that plugs into your truck directly for free, makes installing it a snap!
Second when are you going and to what trail? I'm heading down Oct 23 to the Rockhouse trail on Hatfield McCoy.

X2 great controller.
milos

·
noob
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks all for the advice.

Going to the "Little Coal River" trails on Oct. 15/16/17.

First time to HMT for all four of us that are going, really looking forward to it.

Just ordered the brake controller and adapter harness as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Rode that trail system early this spring, watch the east side of #52 the hill climb is pretty rough, steep slope and loose rocks. Other then that one nothing to difficult.

·
noob
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode that trail system early this spring, watch the east side of #52 the hill climb is pretty rough, steep slope and loose rocks. Other then that one nothing to difficult.
Thanks for the tip. Really looking forward to the trip!

·
eternal noobie
239 Posts
x-whatever for the Tekonsha Prodigy...I've had a few, it's by far the best. Controls my 14' little trailer just as easily as my 32' gooseneck.

·
noob
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trailered down there 5+ hours this weekend without issues, thanks to the Tekonsha Prodigy P2. It did save us because some cars stopped suddenly in front of us on a two lane road and I had to lock things up!!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts