Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of someone who sells a plate similar to the trailer hitches but just has a loop or metal ring. I need a good tow point but don't really want a trailer hitch. I can see it getting bashed when rock climbing in Moab.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I bought a Thunderhawk hitch and added this...

It's just a simple Tow hook welded into a receiver stinger. $12 from the local farm supply. The only change I made was that the original hole for the pin held it out about an inch further, so I pushed it in as far as it would, marked it, and redrilled the hole for the pin so it would be in as far as possible. I also used one size smaller drill bit because they make those factory holes just a little larger than needed for the pins but I didn't want any rattling (which it doesn't). It has never hung on anything and awesome for a pull point, neither it nor the Thunderhawk hitch stick out further than the back of the tires themselves. You can toss the loop of a tow strap or a chain right over it and not have to worry about it slipping off the way they sometimes do with regular trailer balls, and much faster than having to use a shackle of somekind. I figgure since the bottom edge of the hook is curved, even if it does come down on something, it will just slide off easily.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that looks like it would work. I like how the tube is up hi. Now if I could just find someone to paint to match my voo doo blue.

H

·
0 Posts
Well if a hitch isnt out of the question afterall the Thunderhawk reciever is definitely the strongest on the market with the most mount points..love mine.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Your local powder coating shop should be able to powdercoat both a hitch and a stinger like this for about $20 in just about any color you want. The new Generation of Powder Coating is not only tough but now days its also flexible and comes in like 200 colors including metallics, pastels, and even imeron-looking colors.

Another nice feature is that because the thunderhawk hitch is a regular (albeit VERY heavy duty) 2" receiver hitch, I can also quickly throw in a regular 2" stinger to move my Waverunner or SxS Trailer around the yard. The Thunderhawk hitch also serves as a double-shear rear radius rod and frame brace, and tie down point. It's the only hitch I fount that mounted that high and also secured at108 mounting points, the four radius rod bolts plus both above and below. Some of them only bolted to the radius rod bolts, a few mounted to those and either the upper or lower frame but only Thunderhawk attatched at all 10 points with HD hardware. You can also still easily check/change/refil your fluid with the Thunderhawk hitch.

Oh yea, and I call my rear hook my "Commander Hook" because the first several things it was ever used for was to pull out my buddies CannedHam Commander.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Check this one out. It secures to the XP with the Radlock register plate with the hitch plate on top of that. Super bullet proof. I love the extra strength of the suspension.

Then I use any standard stinger with tow hook or ball.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
who makes it?

Check this one out. It secures to the XP with the Radlock register plate with the hitch plate on top of that. Super bullet proof. I love the extra strength of the suspension.

Then I use any standard stinger with tow hook or ball.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the Highlifter one, I like it. Matches all the other Highlifter Red i have back there.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Does the highlifter one connect to anything but the four radius rod bolts? It doesn't look like it in the pictures and I remember when I bought the Thunderhawk that at the time it was the only one on the market that connected both to the radius rod bolts and BOTH upper and lower frame mounts. I didn't want anything that only connected to the radius rod bolts, I wanted something connected to them and direct to the frame both at the top and bottom. Of course I also wanted the standard 2" receiver so I had options should I need to use a hitch-ball for something such as moving my Waverunner around the yard and into/out of the water when I'm at the lake place, which the XP works great for.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does the highlifter one connect to anything but the four radius rod bolts? It doesn't look like it in the pictures and I remember when I bought the Thunderhawk that at the time it was the only one on the market that connected both to the radius rod bolts and BOTH upper and lower frame mounts. I didn't want anything that only connected to the radius rod bolts, I wanted something connected to them and direct to the frame both at the top and bottom. Of course I also wanted the standard 2" receiver so I had options should I need to use a hitch-ball for something such as moving my Waverunner around the yard and into/out of the water when I'm at the lake place, which the XP works great for.
No it only attatches to the 4 radius rod bolts. When i first bought i was a little concerned about that. but seeing as how all u can really use it for towing someone home, or getting winched out i wasnt to worried once o got it bolted on. I am going to build my own this winter something that has an integrated winch mount on it. But for nw this one works pretty good.

H

·
0 Posts
I believe it's only the 4..Agree the Thunderhawk is the best on the market..think UTV inc is second with 8 points?
I think that TH rates it at 110# tongue weight..ive pulled a trailer with a 170# tongue weight with no issues at all.

·
Registered
335 Posts
There are threads on the Radlock. This is a new item from Racer Tech that fixes a weak area in the XP suspension. A well engineered fix.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify

1 - 16 of 16 Posts