Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tore my top end apart today because it was burning oil. Cylinder walls look pretty good but I have wear on the piston skirts. I want to stay stock size (unless the cylinders end up needing to be bored) and I don't want to run race gas. Pretty much trying to stay stock. Should I just get the oem replacement pistons or go with an after market? In searching threads it seems people have a lot of good and bad things to say about Wiseco but I haven't found a lot of recommendations on stock non-turbo rebuilds.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Tore my top end apart today because it was burning oil. Cylinder walls look pretty good but I have wear on the piston skirts. I want to stay stock size (unless the cylinders end up needing to be bored) and I don't want to run race gas. Pretty much trying to stay stock. Should I just get the oem replacement pistons or go with an after market? In searching threads it seems people have a lot of good and bad things to say about Wiseco but I haven't found a lot of recommendations on stock non-turbo rebuilds.

IF the rings are not leaking oil. You might want to consider getting the head freshend up complete valve job. And pick your poison on the pistons there's many out there. I would get hold of K&T on the valve job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what is a good budget minded forged piston? I'm just freshening the motor up, if all goes well later this fall or next spring I'll have an '11 so I will be selling this one. I have a couple day ride trip scheduled next month and wanted to make sure everything is good for the ride. Plus I didn't want to sell it burning oil and someone else have to deal with it.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
what is a good budget minded forged piston? I'm just freshening the motor up, if all goes well later this fall or next spring I'll have an '11 so I will be selling this one. I have a couple day ride trip scheduled next month and wanted to make sure everything is good for the ride. Plus I didn't want to sell it burning oil and someone else have to deal with it.
Probably Wiseco pistons will be good budget one.IMHO
milos

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just a quick search finds several....for example, Razor Headquarters has HPD forged pistons at a bit higher compression than stock for $330:

•Anti-friction coating•11.2 to 1 and 12.2 to 1 Forged Pistons

•Improved combustion pocket•Improved squish area and clearance

•16g 28g lighter weight &new forging for improved strength

•Anti-detonation rings•Forced wrist pin oiling

Holz has stock replacements at $539.95

Have fun with the rebuild. :ride:

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Just remember you could be losing oil through the valves . If seen where pistons have been replaced and oil consumption was still and issue.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JE-Piston-Kit-Polaris-RZR-800-08-09-80MM-12-1-SET-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf193498eQQitemZ330470476174QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be rebuilding the head also, inspecting valve seals and relapping the valves. Replacing any of the worn parts I find along the way. Even though the motor is easy to tear down I don't want to do it multiple times! There is a lot of build up on the pistons and valves from the burnt oil, I can't believe this thing was making any power.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
I will be rebuilding the head also, inspecting valve seals and relapping the valves. Replacing any of the worn parts I find along the way. Even though the motor is easy to tear down I don't want to do it multiple times! There is a lot of build up on the pistons and valves from the burnt oil, I can't believe this thing was making any power.

Good call! Like I said earlier I would call k&t performance 801-825-5870

There valve train set up is much more quite then stock and will not cost more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts