Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 08 and have read all the horrer stories about the dust ingestion problem. I have since corrected the air filtration but was wanting to know about a top end rebuild. Just want factory settings no big bore. Is there a better set up for that then factory stuff?

·
Registered
11 Posts
RZR riders, I bought a 2009 hold oever RZR with no miles, went for a ride last week and ended up being towed out by a Rino. Took it to the shop last week. Got a call from my Polaris dealer today. Sure enough I have dirt injestion and low compression. I figured no problem it only has 44 hrs and 489 miles. To my surprise Polaris basically said to bad. They said there was no documentation that it had dirt building up. Hey polaris its a new machine and just was serviced 40 miles before that. My dealer is going to rebuild it and hope that after I get the Attorney General involed and whoever else I need he will get paid. He did ask if all avenues are exhausted that I will take care of him. I told him thats more than fair. Its to bad we have great dealers to work with and the company puts it to him and the customers. I cant believe I find myself writing the same thing in here that I have been seeing from others. Polaris needs a class action suit as I have been hearing to waken them up. This being said I installed the K&N between the seat with the Holz cover and having the dealer install the UMP I ordered. Just my opinion guys I would do the same or you'll have your machine in the shop. By the way I cleaned my filter after every dusty ride. Its the worst air filter induction I have ever seen. Good luck guys and thank you for reading my thoughts. A big KUDO"S to Coveside Wheel & Ski. Thanks Kerry. COVE-SIDE WHEEL & SKI NEWPORT, ME (207) 368-2252

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Jamie,
What do you want to know about a Top End Rebuild?

I bought an 08 and have read all the horrer stories about the dust ingestion problem. I have since corrected the air filtration but was wanting to know about a top end rebuild. Just want factory settings no big bore. Is there a better set up for that then factory stuff?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just what would be a good recommendation, aftermarket or factory polaris parts for the top end without spending a small fortune. I have rebuilt car engines before but never this type of engine and was just wanting to know what anyone would recommend for the parts Pistons, gaskets, seals etc. Also do not want to raise compression just want to freshen up the motor. I have not disassmbled the motor yet and would like to have a the parts ready to go before I do. Also I am now reading about nik a sil coating do the 08's come with that on the cylinder walls

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
L.A. sleeve for cylinder,would go with almost anyones forged piston ,probably same cost , better product will probably have to go up a little on compression ,bui all you need is premium gas, lieele price per gallon differance for lots better grunt everyware

·
Registered
191 Posts
when rebuilding the top end I was told to hone the cylinder to take the glaze off with a diamond hone. Where can I get a diamond hone? My google searches haven't been very successful.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Just what would be a good recommendation, aftermarket or factory polaris parts for the top end without spending a small fortune. I have rebuilt car engines before but never this type of engine and was just wanting to know what anyone would recommend for the parts Pistons, gaskets, seals etc. Also do not want to raise compression just want to freshen up the motor. I have not disassmbled the motor yet and would like to have a the parts ready to go before I do. Also I am now reading about nik a sil coating do the 08's come with that on the cylinder walls
Jamie,
You might want to consider upgrading the cam while you're into it. Give Darrell a call at HPD. I used him when I tore down my original engine. He can quote you all the parts/prices as well as give you the in's/out's of minor performance upgrades. HPD is a sponsor on the forum and is a knowledgeable fella. I would also recommend since you will have the engine removed to go ahead, tear down the Bottom End. That way you check the journal bushings on the Balance Shaft, the Crankshaft as well as check out the Cam Shaft bushings(non-replaceable). I would also tell you to check the Water Pump and the seal, as it tends to get a bit of wear. It wouldn't cost you that much more, just a bit more time.JMO
Bart

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone that replied to the thread I will follow up with all of your info.:yr1:

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
when rebuilding the top end I was told to hone the cylinder to take the glaze off with a diamond hone. Where can I get a diamond hone? My google searches haven't been very successful.
I used this 320 grit ball hone on my cylinder. Not sure why somebody recommended to you a diamond hone. Actually you need to be careful with nikasil coating and don't go to deep when honing .
milos

Flex-Hone Cylinder Ball 77-83mm Polaris Ranger RZR 800: eBay Motors (item 170494645923 end time Sep-30-10 18:35:20 PDT)

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
With a Nickel Silicon Carbide Composite Coated cyl bore(Nikasil is particular brand of this type of coating), to properly hone and deglaze a cyl to prepare it for new rings/pistons, a diamond hone must be used.
A dingle berry hone, or even a drill motor sunnen type stone hone will NOT cut into the coating to get your proper cross hatch. Doing this type of honing will more than likely never let your cyl seal like it should.

I see many on here, even vendors, and engine builders, recommending a regular hone to deglaze with.
That is wrong info.
A diamond hone is needed to hone a Nikasil type cyl.

If your Nickel Silicon Carbide Composite Coated cyl bore is in good shape, with no tapper or not out of round, and you don't want to send it into Millennium Technologies ($15 per cyl) or another company to get diamond honed, you are better off using some pool muriatic acid than a stone hone.

Carefully use pool muriatic acid to remove any aluminum from the old cross hatch and clean the old cyl up. Do not let the acid touch any aluminum. It eats aluminum and will clean out the old piston alum from the cross hatch pretty good if there is no damage or wear. After you do a good acid clean on good used cyl you will see the old cross hatch much better.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
I used this 320 grit ball hone on my cylinder. Not sure why somebody recommended to you a diamond hone. Actually you need to be careful with nikasil coating and don't go to deep when honing .
milos

Flex-Hone Cylinder Ball 77-83mm Polaris Ranger RZR 800: eBay Motors (item 170494645923 end time Sep-30-10 18:35:20 PDT)
Milos, just because that guy on EBay says his hone is
"perfect for NikaSil" doesn't make it so.
Call Millennium Technologies or US Chrome, the 2 biggest in the industry, and ask the experts that actually do the plating.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts
Don't want to start argument, but doubt that Flex- Hones will make the statement about their product be OK for Nikasil, if is not. IMHO
milos
No argument guy, just a discussion.

Nikasil Application Hones
That is not the flex hone site. It is a reseller, rebrander. Don't believe everything you read on a resellers site.

If i am not mistaken, this is the company that makes flex hone. Just quickly looking over their site do not see anywhere recommendation to use their hone for Chrome platted cyls.

Flex-Hone®, Cylinder Honing Tool, FlexHone

BMW airhead cylinders and studs, shims, sealants, Nikasil, Galnikal
Not sure what you are looking at here ? or considering expert knowledge.
Don't you believe the Polaris manual I posted above ?

Believe me Milos, have tried honing a platted cyl with a top of the line Sunnen hone, dingle berry hones, flex hones, all different abrasive grades.... On a Polaris 785 pro pwc, after hours of honing could not even touch the coating. Could not even remove 1/10 of .001" All you do is dull the old cross hatch.

You are fooling yourself if you think you have accomplished anything with a ball dingle berry hone on a platted cyl. Get out your bore gauge and check it before and after. You will see.

Anyhow, just trying to share information, and techniques it took me years to accumulate.
Take it or leave it, I am telling you, pool acid with a scotch brite pad works great for a chrome bore deglaze.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
they make ball hones with diamond compond in them for chrome/nicklesil cylinders will see if I can dig up manufacterer/dist. latter and post info

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Don't want to start argument, but doubt that Flex- Hones will make the statement about their product be OK for Nikasil, if is not. IMHO
milos
No argument guy, just a discussion.

Nikasil Application Hones
That is not the flex hone site. It is a reseller, rebrander. Don't believe everything you read on a resellers site.

If i am not mistaken, this is the company that makes flex hone. Just quickly looking over their site do not see anywhere recommendation to use their hone for Chrome platted cyls.

Flex-Hone®, Cylinder Honing Tool, FlexHone

BMW airhead cylinders and studs, shims, sealants, Nikasil, Galnikal
Not sure what you are looking at here ? or considering expert knowledge.
Don't you believe the Polaris manual I posted above ?

Believe me Milos, have tried honing a platted cyl with a top of the line Sunnen hone, dingle berry hones, flex hones, all different abrasive grades.... On a Polaris 785 pro pwc, after hours of honing could not even touch the coating. Could not even remove 1/10 of .001" All you do is dull the old cross hatch.

You are fooling yourself if you think you have accomplished anything with a ball dingle berry hone on a platted cyl. Get out your bore gauge and check it before and after. You will see.

Anyhow, just trying to share information, and techniques it took me years to accumulate.
Take it or leave it, I am telling you, pool acid with a scotch brite pad works great for a chrome bore deglaze.
Look we can probably can go back and forth, I really don't go to detail like you do. I purchased one Flex hone for my cylinder, inside is a manual how to use it for steel sleeves and Nikasil coating. I can hardly believe reseller replace manufacture manual with different one. I use it and made nice cross hatch. Maybe pool acid work better, don't know, but I rather stay with Flex hone.:)
milos

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
Great video which explains a lot. And I agree, if you need to remove some material from cylinder wall to have bigger piston skirt clearance the Flex Hone will never do that, but just to break the glaze for piston ring to seat in I really think will work, if scotch brite with pool acid will do it. IMHO
milos

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
We offer several parts for motor rebuilding from stock bore size pistons to whole cylinder kits and more. Top of the line parts, very high quality.
Check us out.
Let me know if you had any questions.
UTV products from Holz racing products

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
they make ball hones with diamond compond in them for chrome/nicklesil cylinders will see if I can dig up manufacterer/dist. latter and post info
Please do. I looked last week for a diamond-grit dingleball hone and found nothing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts