Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all. Just in the process of rebuilding the top end on a buddy's RZR and wondering if anyone has had any problems with wiring melting. (see pics)
Still searching the Manual to find out what each harness is for but curious if anyone else has had this problem and any suggestions on a fix? (heat resistant tape; absorbent wrap etc)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Is it just the insulation? or Are the wires Burnt also? Hard to determine from the pictures.
Could be a short or even worse, Engine got TOO hot since that particular plugs sometimes lies on the block.
Did you drain the coolant? Looks like a lot in the pictures. There was a good post in the past regarding some details involved when due a Upper Engine Rebuild still in the RZR

H

·
0 Posts
The large connector with yellow wires is the stator harness I believe. Agree with Crazywatson..wires melting(unless they are close to the exhaust) is usually a short,a bad connection(which increases resistance and load) or being overloaded/too much draw..ie the wires theselves likely got hot.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts
i just have to say this..... only because it seems that in 90% of photos of eng work people have posted on here....nobody cleans the eng before working on them!!!!

1. a clean eng is alot nicer to work on
2. if its clean you stay clean and your new parts will last alot longer (most are replacing parts because of problems from dirt why put dirt back in?)
3. small particles of dirt will find their way in your new parts and cut the life down
4. if its clean you'll see alot of their parts that may need servicing and after you get it running again it makes any small leaks easy to see.

just me not understanding this....it only takes a few min to do a good cleaning!

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
be sure to get all of the coolant out of the head bolt holes in the engine case before you assemble the engine.

H

·
0 Posts
i just have to say this..... only because it seems that in 90% of photos of eng work people have posted on here....nobody cleans the eng before working on them!!!!

2. if its clean you stay clean and your new parts will last alot longer (most are replacing parts because of problems from dirt why put dirt back in?)
3. small particles of dirt will find their way in your new parts and cut the life down
4. if its clean you'll see alot of their parts that may need servicing and after you get it running again it makes any small leaks easy to see.

just me not understanding this....it only takes a few min to do a good cleaning!

Agreed..I'm not trying to bust balls or beat a dead horse..this is more for those doing research in the future. I too have never understood working on a dirty machine in the shop...you get nasty...takes twice as long to do the work trying to keep all the dirt out of what you are working on ect.. If I was doing work for a buddy I'd tell him bring it back when it is clean lol.
Also draining the coolant(all fluids) BEFORE hand makes life alot easier...that stuff doesn't evaporate/dry up on it's on and it makes a serious mess of everything..expecially a floor..talk about slick floor!
Here's what mine looked like before I cracked the valve cover to put pistons in it..careful but thorough pressure washing with some soap before I took anything apart and then a nice blow dry with my leaf blower..

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Good day to all. Just in the process of rebuilding the top end on a buddy's RZR and wondering if anyone has had any problems with wiring melting. (see pics)
Still searching the Manual to find out what each harness is for but curious if anyone else has had this problem and any suggestions on a fix? (heat resistant tape; absorbent wrap etc)

Thanks!
Go to Holtz racings web site they have PDF on how to due this job

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts

Agreed..I'm not trying to bust balls or beat a dead horse..this is more for those doing research in the future. I too have never understood working on a dirty machine in the shop...you get nasty...takes twice as long to do the work trying to keep all the dirt out of what you are working on ect.. If I was doing work for a buddy I'd tell him bring it back when it is clean lol.
Also draining the coolant(all fluids) BEFORE hand makes life alot easier...that stuff doesn't evaporate/dry up on it's on and it makes a serious mess of everything..expecially a floor..talk about slick floor!
Here's what mine looked like before I cracked the valve cover to put pistons in it..careful but thorough pressure washing with some soap before I took anything apart and then a nice blow dry with my leaf blower..

now thats more like it.....:ride::ride:

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts

Exactly my feelings also.
Seen this all the time here. Been hesitant to say anything since I get accused of starting an argument when trying to point out good engine rebuild protocol...

Although, that big blob of mud that just fell in to your new cyl from the dirty frame rail right above it will just help break it in quick :rofl3:
oh ya, Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) destroys babbit bearings.Probably not good to get in your crankcase.

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts

Exactly my feelings also.
Seen this all the time here. Been hesitant to say anything since I get accused of starting an argument when trying to point out good engine rebuild protocol...

Although, that big blob of mud that just fell in to your new cyl from the dirty frame rail right above it will just help break it in quick :rofl3:
oh come on now....:rofl3::rofl3: you and me have never been known to hold it back !!!!! (thats why were always in trouble)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, thanks to everyone for all the replies, even the ones "reminding" about cleaning your rig properly :) I'll look into the harness for the stator

The pic of a REALLY CLEAN Rig was definitely a help; I'll ensure mine is that clean when we do it. My buddies top end was shot so his rig drew the short straw and came first! :) I'll absolutely make sure we check all the suggestions before we re-assemble it.

Thanks again

·
Just kidding!
10,754 Posts
Wow, thanks to everyone for all the replies, even the ones "reminding" about cleaning your rig properly :) I'll look into the harness for the stator

The pic of a REALLY CLEAN Rig was definitely a help; I'll ensure mine is that clean when we do it. My buddies top end was shot so his rig drew the short straw and came first! :) I'll absolutely make sure we check all the suggestions before we re-assemble it.

Thanks again
Good luck!...Thats cool that your helping out a friend.

·
TURBO'S RULE
1,772 Posts

Very nice.
Love the tape over engine openings. No need to get stray shit that always seems to fall in any open hole. A wild piston wrist pin clip seems to have a strange way of snapping into the nearest open hole for me every time....

·
Just kidding!
10,754 Posts
There was a thread a long time ago about a guy who had a turbo kit installed.It made alot of rattling noise.After disassemling they found that someone had dropped a nut down the charge tube and it rattled around inside the turbo until it was junk.That tape just reminded me of that story.

H

·
0 Posts
There was a thread a long time ago about a guy who had a turbo kit installed.It made alot of rattling noise.After disassemling they found that someone had dropped a nut down the charge tube and it rattled around inside the turbo until it was junk.That tape just reminded me of that story.
I've learned the hard way...sucks having to pull an engine and disassemble it or drop and oil pan to get something out that you dropped.

Allcool- Yeah those circlips are definitely out to get you if you don't cover every damn hole....I made sure the engine was covered well with rags,tucked tight around the rods, before tackling the circlips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts