Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have pulled a few CV's/axle assemblies from rzr differentials over the years and was no fun. A few times pulled the axles out of cv, etc. So, any tool to do this properly (entire axle and cv assembly)? I dont think any of the puller tools out there work as I dont think there is any way to get any "fingers" behind the cv to latch on and then be able to pull on as they sit somewhat recessed in the differential.

I think I looked at a post at some point where soemone used a slide hammer with a u-bolt welded on to it. I assume you just get a properly sized u-bolt, tighten down the u bolt over CV housing, and use the slide hammer but unsure how well this really grips the round CV body and how much it marks up the cv housing (pulling new cv's .. would like to keep them as good as new looking too). Sure I could wrap it or maybe make some sort of sleeve to help with this but likely trial and error. They will likely come out easy since new and use anti-seize when installing again but I will be doing this multiple times so looking for a real tool to do this properly without trying to pry it out.

Any other ideas? Or, am I overlooking something?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
if you want it out, you cant worry about scratches, got any nephews who work out with weights?? it takes BEEF , i dont know of any tool made just for the removal, but good luck, ps, quick hard jerks work better than long hard pulls. let us know if you figure out a better way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I seen this on youtube....... Wrap a strap around the where the axle goes into the differential and tie the other end of the strap to a big mall and swing the mall away from the unit and it will pop right out. It sounds lame but it works good, check it out on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Also seen another method if you pull the cv out and leave the housing. Wrap the housing with some kind of rubber hose and put a hose clamp around it and tighten it down. Then put a 3 jaw puller against the rubber, take second hose clamp around the 3 jaws. Use slide hammer and POP goes the housing.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Below are pics of what I came up with.

Purchased a slide hammer kit (already found this usefull for other stuff too), 2.75in inside diameter silicone hose (commonly used on intakes etc ... eBay is good source), and a 3in exhaust band clamp. Drilled a couple holes in one of the attachemnts for the slide hammer to mount up to the exhaust clamp. The clamp is flexible so it is easy to insert onto the CV when installed. Cut the silicone hose so it will also slip over the CV. The silicone hose provides good grip and should not mark up the cv's etc. The slide hammer attachement can be placed over the CV first then srew on the actual slide hammer so should be easy to use in general. Cost of all parts was $80.

Not shown in pics below, but I also decided to trim the width of the metal band clamp so that it fit only on the metal portion of the CV and not over any part of the CV boot in fear of damaging it.

I have not used this yet as my 2013 is brand new so axle assembly almost fell out on its own LOL (just a very mild tug actually). Atleast its ready to go if ever need it ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts